• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Birmingham: Open Carry is brandishing (Sounds like we need to attend another meeting)

Small_Arms_Collector

Just got word that the trial will take place tomorrow morning as originally planned. It is suspected that it will take more than one day however. Anyone still planning on visiting birmingham tomorrow evening?

I plan to attend the concert, hopefully others will come, I have cleared my schedule tomorrow, so I shouldn't have any issues.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Perhaps this is a very stupid question... perhaps not....

I've seen folks suggest that the young man could easily have avoided any and all problems had he simply provided ID, whether required by law or not, to prove he was of an age to be legally carrying a long gun.

Well.. here comes the question....

Is it possible that the police would still have arrested him, and charged him with the very same crimes he was charged with,............... even after providing ID?

Well as a matter of fact that is exactly what happened. He politely refused, they forcefully took his ID. Then even though they knew he was of legal age (their supposed reason for the stop) the arrested him anyway and trumped up the spaghetti charges to cover their a$$es. :rolleyes:

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
PRECISELY!

The young man lawfully declined to show ID. Then he was wrongfully arrested!

Do not let the molehill that is the former get in your way of seeing the mountain that is the latter, folks!

The authorities, some media, and many comments online are trying ferociously to distract rightful concern with the mountain by pointing at a molehill.

Lawfully refusing to ID yourself, at worst, is "rude".

Wrongful arrest is a form of kidnapping by agents of the state (no matter how briefly it lasts). Wrongful prosecution is abuse of power by the state and, thus, a SERIOUS violation of your rights.

Which is far, far worse?

Folks, get your head straight about exactly what is involved with Sean Combs' situation!

Thanks Dan -

I find it laughable that many here are having a hard time understanding this. Even someone who started their own pro 2A website??? What the heck?

DanM

many here are having a hard time understanding this.

Many, at the time, had a hard time understanding why some guys dressed up like Indians and dumped tea out of the ship.

Many, at the time, had a hard time understanding why some guys refused going along with the demands of the King and the King's men.

Alas, for many, the protection of liberty--both large and small, from gun-rights rallies down to simple refusal to "show me your papers!"--are before their very eyes and they do not see it. That is simply a historical fact. For some darn reason, most people have no problem seeing the past with clarity, but are unexplainably blind to perceiving what is going on in the present.

It is our job to attempt to remove the blinders our brethren sometimes put on themselves.

Last edited:

Tucker6900

Many, at the time, had a hard time understanding why some guys dressed up like Indians and dumped tea out of the ship.

Many, at the time, had a hard time understanding why some guys refused going along with the demands of the King and the King's men.

Alas, for many, the protection of liberty--both large and small, from gun-rights rallies down to simple refusal to "show me your papers!"--are before their very eyes and they do not see it. That is simply a historical fact. For some darn reason, most people have no problem seeing the past with clarity, but are unexplainably blind to perceiving what is going on in the present.

It is our job to attempt to remove the blinders our brethren sometimes put on themselves.

Well said my friend. Well said.

Unfortunately, we need these types of situations to remove those blinders to allow people to see whats going on around them. I say KUDOS to this kid for standing up for his rights. These people are trying to make an example out of him, and I hope beyond all hope that he wins.

TheQ

GoldenEagle and I are in the park ...will anyone else show?

We're not in the shade so GE's head may turn golden brown ;)

TheQ

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342046535.561075.jpg

Seeing no other open carry people, we are about to leave. I will leave you with this ostentatious display of yoga that we just saw.

Small_Arms_Collector

Small Arms Collector is not there?

I'll be there, but I may be a little late, I threw out my back last night, and have been moving like an old man all day. Probably get there around 8:30 at the rate I'm going, but I'm going to try for 8:00. Needless to say, I won't be carrying anything heavy. It took me 3 hours just to get out of bed today, think I might see a doctor tomorrow if it doesn't heal up by morning.

griffin

When I read you were talking about a concert I thought you were talking about Common Ground. My bad.