• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blackhawk Quick Disconnect

decklin

So I picked up the Blackhawk Quick Disconnect system for the SERPA. My main reason was to be able to switch between hip carry and car carry with ease.
I drilled my center console and attached one of the female adapters to the console.
So far it works great.
IMG_1593.jpgIMG_1594.jpgIMG_1595.jpgIMG_1596.jpgIMG_1599.jpg

decklin

To me the benefits are two-fold. I now have my weapon easily accessible in the car (I have male adapters on my 1911 and my usp) and I maintain retention capabilities.

decklin

I had looked at something like that but decided it wasn't what I wanted. With mine I detach my weapon, still in the holster, and reattach it to the console. This means when I leave the car there isn't a holster still attached, just a little black plastic circle.
I did a mock up under the steering wheel but didn't like how it felt. In a truck or suv it would probably work for me but not my car.
In the past I've always built something or just shoved the gun in the seats but I didn't want to do that anymore. I debated about whether to drill the console and finally decided to just do it. I am going to have this car for a very long time and I can always spend the few bucks on the side panel for the console if I need to.

amlevin

Please elaborate, would this also include rear seating in vehicles?

~Whitney

It's not that hard to understand when the pistol is practically touching the left leg of a passenger in the OP's car. If that person is a prohibited party, and there is a firearm right next to them, it could be a big problem if stopped. As for back seat passengers, at least there would be some reasonable separation and it would be harder to make the case for "possession, access, or control".

For me, I'd prefer a means of mounting it on MY side of the console. In a vehicle I might not be so concerned about retention and probably just use an Uncle Mikes Kydex holster. Use a LH holster for Driver's side mount on the console. Will work fine. If you want retention, use a SERPA and learn how to use your thumb to release.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
It's not that hard to understand when the pistol is practically touching the left leg of a passenger in the OP's car. If that person is a prohibited party, and there is a firearm right next to them, it could be a big problem if stopped. As for back seat passengers, at least there would be some reasonable separation and it would be harder to make the case for "possession, access, or control".

If a firearms owner is driving around 'prohibited' persons then they should choose their friends/family better. ;)

I just leave my gun on my hip while driving. I carry in a leather holster and have never had any comfortableness issues.

TechnoWeenie

If a firearms owner is driving around 'prohibited' persons then they should choose their friends/family better. ;)

I just leave my gun on my hip while driving. I carry in a leather holster and have never had any comfortableness issues.

Tell that to the 35 y/o who, when he was 18, got a BJ from his GF, who was 17, and the parents found out......

Or the guy that pulled over on the highway to take a piss, and is now a felon because he had a CCW, and because he was breaking the law, while armed, there was a mandatory enhancer (a felony) of committing a crime while armed...

amlevin

Or the guy that pulled over on the highway to take a piss, and is now a felon because he had a CCW, and because he was breaking the law, while armed, there was a mandatory enhancer (a felony) of committing a crime while armed...

That's a major stretch because IF the party is cited it's merely a misdemeanor (unless he was drying it off by waving it at traffic).

How bout a citation on where it's ACTUALLY happened that someone has had the felony enhancement added (rather than in your mind) for "unlawful whizzing".

Last edited: