• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Very important question about Open Carrying!

MikeTheGreek

No, I can't get any picture ID that would let me get a permit or CPL.

And I asked the police before, they said if it's private property, the gun is registered to him, and he says I can, I can OC but not conceal all day at work.

But I didn't think about asking the cop if I could walk off the property and go across the street.

stainless1911

Banned
Respectfully, I believe the cop is wrong.

What you have to your advantage here is this. OCing a gun in and of itself is not illegal, nor does it constitute cause for a stop. If you are stopped, say as little as possible, you do not have to show ID. If they detain you, immediately invoke your 4th and 5th amendment rights. If they search you, (run #s on the gun), then it would be an illegal search without RAS or PC, and any charges that they file against you would have to be thrown out.

I think (I could be wrong) that the cite I'm looking for here is MCL 28.422. Its the license to purchase posess and transport a pistol. It seems like I'm forgetting something here, I can't put my finger on it in remembering the cite. You have to have the gun registered to you to OC without a CPL.

Last edited:

Michigander

MikeTheGreek

Well..If you're right, maybe I shouldn't have emailed the State Police and told them I OC my boss' gun on his property!

I googled it from my phone last week and read that it was allowed on private property. It was just a quick look so I'm not entirely certain now that the law was from Michigan.

And yes..I do realize I can walk anywhere I want with the gun and the police have no right at all to stop me or ask me for ID. But the thing is..I want to be a cop in a few years, so taking the chance (however tiny it may be) to be arrested for illegally carrying a firearm, will effectively ruin my entire life.

MikeTheGreek

Ah..I found the law that says it. Too bad It's from Indiana and not Michigan...damn.

Well, I'll forget about leaving work with the gun, but I have to keep it on me while I'm working. Getting arrested doesn't sound AS bad as getting shot. In a few months I should be able to get my own gun and carry it.

Thanks for your help anyway!

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Seek legal advice ASAP!

Mike you need to stop posting info here. Now anyone knows where you work (roughly) including LEO's. Also until MI. does away with pistol registration you are out of luck to buy a pistol period. YOU CANNOT OC A PISTOL WITHOUT A CPL THAT IS NOT REGISTERED IN YOUR NAME. See section 28.422 & 750 of MCL. Your best bet at this point is a private purchase of a long gun for defense of your home / business (not for OC). You should really talk to a good attorney before you find yourself in a legal jam. Try Dean Greenblat / Jim Makowski / or Mrs. Pearce.

Last edited:

Michigander

.I want to be a cop in a few years, so taking the chance (however tiny it may be) to be arrested for illegally carrying a firearm, will effectively ruin my entire life.

Michigan's cop job market is grim, and filled with third generation us against them shoe ins.

Any other state, you'll be getting polygraphed. The last thing you want to do is tell the polygrapher that you knowingly carried a gun illegally, worse yet on a regular basis. They won't like that. maybe, just maybe if you can relate how you feared for your life, they'll let it slide. But then again, maybe not. Police agencies look for people with low to mid range IQ's who are obedient, and easy to control mentally. Carrying unlawfully during a time before being a cop, even for the best of reasons, will put you at horrible odds of being hired by a police agency.

Another thing, is that your odds of getting stopped for OCing are anything but low, even now. Carrying openly, unlawfully, at this point, with your career goals, is a positively horrible idea.

I do however agree with G9OS. A 30" + shotgun or semi auto rifle would be a great idea for a work defense gun, but you should run any strategy by a lawyer, at least before you get an ID.

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
Mike you need to stop posting info here. Now anyone knows where you work (roughly) including LEO's. Also until MI. does away with pistol registration you are out of luck to buy a pistol period. YOU CANNOT OC A PISTOL WITHOUT A CPL THAT IS NOT REGISTERED IN YOUR NAME. See section 28.422 & 750 of MCL. Your best bet at this point is a private purchase of a long gun for defense of your home / business (not for OC). You should really talk to a good attorney before you find yourself in a legal jam. Try Dean Greenblat / Jim Makowski / or Mrs. Pearce.

Why not a long gun? It's legal, and it's different as an employee than what Me, Lil and Sean were doing.

Michigander

Since I don't completely understand your status as a Michigan resident, again, I'm not trying to say it's for sure legal to carry a long gun here, even at work.

But going ahead with a hypothetical presumption that it is, I would suggest carrying with a sling, unchambered, with the safety off. Know where cover and concealment is, and plan on ducking and racking a round in if things go to hell in a hand basket.

MikeTheGreek

I'm a legal resident. My citizenship papers got destroyed before I could get a state ID, passport, or drivers lic. Which sucks because now I have to wait about another ohh...6 months, for the government to cash my 400$ money order and take their sweet time printing out a single piece of paper and mailing it to me so I can actually live a decent life lol.

Gotta love it.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Yes!

Since I don't completely understand your status as a Michigan resident, again, I'm not trying to say it's for sure legal to carry a long gun here, even at work.

But going ahead with a hypothetical presumption that it is, I would suggest carrying with a sling, unchambered, with the safety off. Know where cover and concealment is, and plan on ducking and racking a round in if things go to hell in a hand basket.

This is sound advice until you can get your papers fixed.

stainless1911

Banned
@Stainless It was put there to keep the thread lockers here happy. But now that you have tripped their delete/ edit / lock etc... spidey senses I'm sure this thread is toast. Good job man!

Aah, LGOC, I forgot, my bad.

Why would that be illegal? As I understand it, legal OC is tied to registration. No registration, no legal issue. Right?

MikeTheGreek

Possible Solution:

Virginia issues non-res permits which allow you to carry in Michigan, and the test to qualify for one of these permits may be taken online.

All their permit requires is any government photo ID issued by any country.

Apparently a family friend who lives in Canada has a non-res permit which allows him to carry his gun when he road trips across the USA every year.

Anybody know anything about these non-res permits? This sounds like an amazing solution to my problem. Emailed the office that handles these and hope to get a reply within a few days.