• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need input - Edmonds or South Snohomish County OC

that kind of guy

Hi All,

I've lurked around here for quite a while and am quite thankful for all of you and what you do to help keep our gun rights alive. Anyways, I've never quite been able to bring myself to OC around here (Edmonds and surrounding South Snohomish County). I conceal carry regularly and have no issues there, obviously, 'cause no one notices.

Some of my concerns may be just irrational fear, but I'd like some input. If any of you have OC'd on a routine or semi-routine basis in this neck of the woods, could you please let me know your experience? If I was single I'd probably say heck with consequences of OC, but I have a wife and three little kids, and I don't want to wind up arrested or fighting a legal battle because I got unnecessarily ballzy in my community. Like I said, maybe totally irrational, but all it takes is one irrational idiot in my community to cause me problems (and Edmonds and South Snohomish County seems to be full of them at times).

I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance before I brave the unknown. As I CC regularly, I'm very comfortable carrying... it's dealing with people who happen to notice me OC that has me worried.

Thank you all for any input you have to offer.

Levi

First, get prepared. I'd recommend downloading and taking with you a copy of the Washington OC pamphlet. Get a pocket recorder and carry it.

Second, baby steps. Start out by going to OC meets and OCing in OC friendly places like Starbucks and Walmart were they have overt policies in that regard.

Third, you can ease into by carrying is a semi open style. Because I ride a motorcycle, I wear a jacket that drapes over my sidearm but doesn't cover it completely.

Last, remember that your people skills play a part in how it all goes down. Many times a friendly hello and a smile has made a visibly uncomfortable person relax.

that kind of guy

Baby steps - places to go and public idiots

Thanks Levi.

So there be Starbucks a plenty around here. I frequent QFC, anyone had experience at any QFCs is the Puget Sound? The family and I go for a lot of walks during this time of year, especially to downtown and the waterfront (we're within walking distance from out home). I think I'd be pretty comfortable doing that since no one notices pedestrians in general, and even if they do, no one is going to stop or question me when I'm walking with my wife and 3 kids. I'll hit up a few local restaurants that I'm sure I'd be good in. Anyone had experience going into a Fred Meyer?

I'm not too worried about businesses or the police. I guess I'm timid of the ignorant average joe out there. Yes, I know, having a legally holstered weapon OC'd is not RAS and I shouldn't be worried about someone who get's scared of my 1911 on my hip... but still. I guess I'm just being chicken.

I really should download and print off he pamphlet to carry around with me...

Metalhead47

I do most of my OCing in the Everett/south SnoCo area, and I've never had an issue at all. Come to think of it, I think all of my "encounters," good and bad, have been here on the island.

Yes, you will feel like you're walking around with a great big strobe light on your head at first, but 90% of those around you won't notice, and of those who do, 90% won't care. Especially if you're walking around with your family. I've been OCing for a few years now, never had a police encounter, never had a deranged brady-ite cross the line. There are plenty of others on here who've been at it even longer, and/or do so every day and never had an issue. Supposedly the police around there are up to speed on the law, either way if you are approached it should be a very brief exchange.

Simply: "Am I/Why am I being detained?" Then either "goodbye" or clam up till you can talk to a lawyer. The latter has almost never been needed in western WA, especially in recent years.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Hi All,

I've lurked around here for quite a while and am quite thankful for all of you and what you do to help keep our gun rights alive. Anyways, I've never quite been able to bring myself to OC around here (Edmonds and surrounding South Snohomish County). I conceal carry regularly and have no issues there, obviously, 'cause no one notices.

Some of my concerns may be just irrational fear, but I'd like some input. If any of you have OC'd on a routine or semi-routine basis in this neck of the woods, could you please let me know your experience? If I was single I'd probably say heck with consequences of OC, but I have a wife and three little kids, and I don't want to wind up arrested or fighting a legal battle because I got unnecessarily ballzy in my community. Like I said, maybe totally irrational, but all it takes is one irrational idiot in my community to cause me problems (and Edmonds and South Snohomish County seems to be full of them at times).

I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance before I brave the unknown. As I CC regularly, I'm very comfortable carrying... it's dealing with people who happen to notice me OC that has me worried.

Thank you all for any input you have to offer.

welcome to the forum,,, again.
since you posed this same question 27! months ago,
i will suggest you concider to just keep lurking.
Or,,, buy a recorder, put on your big boy pants and OC to a store where you are a known regular customer.

jt59

Or,,, buy a recorder, put on your big boy pants and OC to a store where you are a known regular customer.

1245A, you're so gentle and encouraging.....it's one of those things that is so endearing about you...:)

acmariner99

Welcome aboard. A few tips about learning to OC --

1) Know the law and be informed
2) Prepare for a possible (but unlikely) encounter with bystanders and law enforcement. Most people are simply curious if they talk to you at all; it is extremely rare to find somebody who is openly hostile about OC. Know how you will respond to a police officer if you encounter one. With OC we are subject to public scrutiny.
3) Start small. As a few have already mentioned, OC in businesses where people already know you or are friendly to OC. My first OC was actually at a Chase bank in AZ where all the tellers knew me - the manager actually asked me what gun I bought after doing a quick review of my credit card slip - a week before I started OCing. Then again it was small town AZ where just about everybody owns firearms and carries regularly.
4) How you carry yourself is more important than how you carry your firearm. If you look nervous or jittery, people are far more likely to be uncomfortable. Be friendly, be courteous, and carry confidently. Others will respond in kind.

I have OCed in many parts of southern SnoCo without any hassles. I have OCed at Fred Meyer, banks and grocery stores in Edmonds and MLT. I have OCed in many establishments in South Everett as well.

Last edited:

1911er

1245 has A closet full of BIG BOY pants (HaHa) My advise for as much as it is worth, Just carry to the places you always go (as long as its legal to carry there) you will feel alot more at ease and yes Fred meyer is OC freindly. Infact the manager of the one here in town is also the bremerton Port Commisioner and we chat every time I see him in the store he is A gun guy

Lante

Echo the advice of others, But as far as Edmonds' goes I have carried fairly frequently at the Edmonds Ferry dock, the park next to it, and through town up to 3rd ave with no issues at all. There are frequently a variety of PD's from various agencies directing traffic near the dock and I haven't had one say anything about it.

hermannr

Do you think/worry about wearing a hat? carrying a cell phone? wallet? Know the law, carrying (OC or CC with a license) is no different.

I would say that the more aware YOU are that you have a carry, the more aware others will be, because people notice your nervousness, not your carry. Don't be a nervous Nelly...it is a totally legal activity.

I have carried for over 40 years, wet side and dry side...and have had ONE, two word conversation with LE, very few with ordinary people, and have been asked to leave very few establishments (I do not patronize them any more). One of the establishments I was asked to leave I had OC'd in for months and the owner, who I talked to every visit, had never noticed before saying "you can't bring that thing in here!" Me, I said, "why not, I have been since we've been coming here, even talked to your husband about his guns" Anyway, we left, and don't eat there any more..shame too, I liked those people.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I've OC'd at: WINCO, Walmart, Wells Fargo banks, liquor stores, Chase banks, restaurants, indoor rock-climbing places, county fairs, home improvement stores, zoo's, and you name it. Unlike some people who paved the way, and have had issues, I have not had a negative encounter yet. Matter of fact I was at Cabela's (Lacey) today and had some very positive interactions with fellow shoppers.

that kind of guy

Haha!

I was expecting a response like that from you or someone else around here! :-D

Actually, that's probably what I need is a swift kick in the pants and follow the old Nike slogan, "just do it". I think next time the family and I go for a stroll through downtown and to the waterfront I'll do it to start building some confidence with it.

And thanks the boot to the butt. LOL.

Or the recorder side of things, I imagine my "smart" phone could do the trick... does anyone here use one of those as their recorder? Are there any known drawbacks? Suggestions?

that kind of guy

Echo the advice of others, But as far as Edmonds' goes I have carried fairly frequently at the Edmonds Ferry dock, the park next to it, and through town up to 3rd ave with no issues at all. There are frequently a variety of PD's from various agencies directing traffic near the dock and I haven't had one say anything about it.

Thanks! I was hoping someone around here has had regular experience with the downtown area around here. This certainly helps. Shoot, there's this guy who's known for walking around Edmonds with nothing on but daisy dukes when the sun is out... so I guess me OC'ing can't be any more strange.

Metalhead47

I was expecting a response like that from you or someone else around here! :-D

Actually, that's probably what I need is a swift kick in the pants and follow the old Nike slogan, "just do it". I think next time the family and I go for a stroll through downtown and to the waterfront I'll do it to start building some confidence with it.

And thanks the boot to the butt. LOL.

Or the recorder side of things, I imagine my "smart" phone could do the trick... does anyone here use one of those as their recorder? Are there any known drawbacks? Suggestions?

What flavor of smart phone? With some you can pull up the camera (preset to video) pretty quick, but you could run out of space if the recording is long. I've got an app on my iPhone called CopRecorder that streams the audio to a remote server so they can't make it go away if your phone has an "accident." Never had to use it of course.

that kind of guy

Recording...

What flavor of smart phone? With some you can pull up the camera (preset to video) pretty quick, but you could run out of space if the recording is long. I've got an app on my iPhone called CopRecorder that streams the audio to a remote server so they can't make it go away if your phone has an "accident." Never had to use it of course.

I have an HTC One S... I haven't thought to look into it as an option until this thread (don't know why not). I'm pretty tech savvy with Android stuff, so I should be able to find some sort of way to have an easy one or two step process to get a recording going. I've got over 15GB of space "i think", so i don't think it'd get used up too quickly, but a potential long encounter could eat up the space. I might have to look for an app like the one you suggest. Thanks for the input!

Metalhead47

I have an HTC One S... I haven't thought to look into it as an option until this thread (don't know why not). I'm pretty tech savvy with Android stuff, so I should be able to find some sort of way to have an easy one or two step process to get a recording going. I've got over 15GB of space "i think", so i don't think it'd get used up too quickly, but a potential long encounter could eat up the space. I might have to look for an app like the one you suggest. Thanks for the input!

They probably have one for Android too. If you have to use the video cam on the phone, covering the lens so it's just audio with a blank screen would cut down on the storage usage.

acmariner99

I use the Google recorder app on my Droid. The big drawback is that you have to unlock the phone and tap a couple of buttons to start the recorder. The phone is a couple years old so there is some lag also. It's not ideal, but it's good enough.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Where do you grocery shop or stop on a regular basis? Go there and take a family member or friend. And shop, as normal.

Be polite, courteous, professional and kind. Smile and look people in the eye.

You will find nothing happens...... enjoy your freedom and welcome (sort of) to the forum.

skiingislife725

Qik is the app I use on my Droid...and it's right in the middle on all of my homescreens so I can start it asap. It also does the record straight to the net feature. Good insurance because when they collect your belongings, they might get slippery fingers and drop it.

And to add to the original conversation...I've OCed down here in the Snohomish county area since August now (when I moved down from Bellingham). No major problems. A misunderstanding at the Home Depot (fixed the same day). And then a "situation", which I had feeling I shouldn't have got involved with in the first place...at a Starbucks in Monroe. Another forum member (we won't mention any names) brought their AR, thigh rig, etc (even when supposedly asked not to). That's been fixed for the non-LGOCers that got the boot as well.

Last edited:

that kind of guy

Qik is the app I use on my Droid...and it's right in the middle on all of my homescreens so I can start it asap. It also does the record straight to the net feature. Good insurance because when they collect your belongings, they might get slippery fingers and drop it.

Ok cool. I'll look into that. My phone has a very good choice recorder I've played with since starting this thread, but the drawback is no off device storage (like qik), and the main hang up is still unlocking my phone first.

Thanks for the input on south Snohomish county. I read so much about members' experience in other areas, just not much around here.

Any restaurants that don't mind OC around here?

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: