• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rant thread.....damn Brown Recluse spiders!

DWCook

Activist Member
I just killed three recluses in less than thirty minutes! This only tells me that there is a nest some where if they're coming in this often! Sheesh, more glue traps and bombing at the house now. Calling the exterminator in the morning to have the house bombed and sprayed! Sorry about this thread, but I just had to rant about this considering how annoying they are and I have been bitten before by them. The bite mark is not pleasant and is nasty after a couple of days!

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Hmm, Kansas. I thought this story interesting. 2,000 in a home and no bites.

http://docserver.esa.catchword.org/deliver/cw/pdf/esa/freepdfs/00222585/v39n6s25.pdf
J. Med. Entomol. 39(6): 948Ð951(2002)
ABSTRACT During a 6-mo period, 2,055 brown recluse spiders, Loxosceles reclusa Gertsch and
Mulaik, were collected in a 19th-century-built, currently occupied home in Lenexa, KS. We conservatively
estimate that at least 400 of these spiders were large enough to cause envenomation.
Additional collections from more typically infested homes in Missouri and Oklahoma in 2001yielded
45 and 30 brown recluse spiders, respectively. Despite these infestations, no envenomations of the
inhabitants of these three homes occurred. Considering the levels of infestations with no bites in the
homes presented here, nonendemic areas in the United States, which typically lack recluse spider
populations and have had zero to few veriÞed specimens of the spider, do not have sufÞcient numbers
ofbrownrecluse spiders tomakeenvenomationa likely scenario. Despite this, physiciansfromnonendemic
recluse areas often diagnose brown recluse bites which, therefore, are unlikely to be correct.