• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greeley Man Wounded at Gun Range

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Wayne Harrison listed, posted, shot holstering and alert - enough to scoop himself

Greeley Man Wounded At Shooting Range
Wayne Harrison Listed In Stable Condition
Posted by Wayne Harrison, New Media Producer

POSTED: 9:20 pm MDT June 20, 2012

GALETON, Colo. -- A Greeley man accidentally shot himself in the stomach at a shooting range Wednesday.

Wayne Harrison, 71, was shot when he was holstering his weapon that the Galeton Shooting Range on Weld County Road 51 around 4 p.m.

The Weld County Sheriff's Office said Harrison was alert and talking to paramedics who responded. He was airlifted to North Colorado Medical Center in stable condition

Last edited:

Truckdriver1975

What's up with all the shooting while holstering stories lately? I'm not beyond human error but I'm very conscious of where my trigger finger is when my weapon is in my hand. Keep the booger hook off the bang switch! Hopefully he fully recovers and learns a valuable lesson.

Bellum_Intus

What's up with all the shooting while holstering stories lately? I'm not beyond human error but I'm very conscious of where my trigger finger is when my weapon is in my hand. Keep the booger hook off the bang switch! Hopefully he fully recovers and learns a valuable lesson.

Don't bash me.. but, Glocks and Clothing.. Clothing gets caught in trigger and bang.. Glock leg syndrome..

Most negligent discharges occur when presenting and holstering.

--Rob

Last edited:

mobiushky

Don't bash me.. but, Glocks and Clothing.. Clothing gets caught in trigger and bang.. Glock leg syndrome..

--Rob

Gotta stand up for my Glocks... LOL. Mostly just good natured fun here btw. I'm curious how he shot himself in the stomach though? Seems more like he was holding with finger on trigger while holstering and swept his gut? Not trying to bash the guy, but why would you do that anyway?

Best safety in the world is the one between your ears right?

Bellum_Intus

Gotta stand up for my Glocks... LOL. Mostly just good natured fun here btw. I'm curious how he shot himself in the stomach though? Seems more like he was holding with finger on trigger while holstering and swept his gut? Not trying to bash the guy, but why would you do that anyway?

Best safety in the world is the one between your ears right?

I'd be at a loss as to how one shoots himself in the stomach, however, assisting with firearms classes on my way to my certification, I've already seen some... odd .. range issues..

Maybe he was doing the cowboy cross draaaaaawl...

--Rob

Last edited:

mobiushky

I'd be at a loss as to how one shoots his self in the stomach, however, assisting with firearms classes on my way to my certification, I've already seen some... odd .. range issues..

Maybe he was doing the cowboy cross draaaaaawl...

--Rob

Good point. I wonder if anyone recorded a "Hey Billy, watch this..." just seconds before? Sorry, it just popped into my head. I do wish the guy health and quick healing.

Bellum_Intus

Good point. I wonder if anyone recorded a "Hey Billy, watch this..." just seconds before? Sorry, it just popped into my head. I do wish the guy health and quick healing.

Ditto... 'tis why I'm getting into training, I don't like accidents and I hate it when people hurt themselves with firearms due to lack of training.

Hell, I train all the time and I still remind myself "it's the ONE time you don't verify clear.... "

--Rob

mahkagari

I'd be at a loss as to how one shoots himself in the stomach, however, assisting with firearms classes on my way to my certification, I've already seen some... odd .. range issues..

You didn't turn on your media-getting-half-the-story-without-subject-matter-knowledge-and-half-assed-reporting-anyway-dumbed-down-o-matic back translator, did you? Subsitute "stomach" with "abdomen" and you can see all sorts of angles a sloppy holstering and fumbling could create.

Bellum_Intus

You didn't turn on your media-getting-half-the-story-without-subject-matter-knowledge-and-half-assed-reporting-anyway-dumbed-down-o-matic back translator, did you? Subsitute "stomach" with "abdomen" and you can see all sorts of angles a sloppy holstering and fumbling could create.

hahahah!!... OMG that made me laugh... needed that =)

--Rob

LoneEchoWolf

--Rob

Was it a Glock he was using? you prob know more about the story than myself. Thing about it is Glocks are no more unsafe than the person using it, theres many ways he could have "Safely" been handling his handgun and shot himself where it says he did, but when re holstering its seems like he almost went out of his way to do it, but i wasn't there nor saw anything about it other than a few news stories so i couldn't say. But a lot of the ND i have heard about are the outcome of years of bad weapon handling on the users part. Treat your weapon like a toy or practice bad safety with it and its bound to happen.

~Wolf~

Bellum_Intus

Was it a Glock he was using? you prob know more about the story than myself. Thing about it is Glocks are no more unsafe than the person using it, theres many ways he could have "Safely" been handling his handgun and shot himself where it says he did, but when re holstering its seems like he almost went out of his way to do it, but i wasn't there nor saw anything about it other than a few news stories so i couldn't say. But a lot of the ND i have heard about are the outcome of years of bad weapon handling on the users part. Treat your weapon like a toy or practice bad safety with it and its bound to happen.

~Wolf~

I know.. I'm not a Glock hater, just use it as example of "GLS" .. Glock Leg Syndrome sounds so much better than XD Leg Syndrome :p

LoneEchoWolf

I know.. I'm not a Glock hater, just use it as example of "GLS" .. Glock Leg Syndrome sounds so much better than XD Leg Syndrome :p

That indeed sounds better, still have to defend my Glock which defends me. These people out on the range need to start practicing better safety or take more classes or pay attention better in said classes. its always terrible to hear about another needless injury, never a good thing to hear of someone being hurt no matter the circumstances.

mahkagari

Check out "Tex grebner" on youtube. He did it with a 1911. So you could call it 1911 leg. Lol.

OWWWWWWWWWICH!!!! Makes me want to practice drawing with trigger discipline more often. However, I worry about being "too safe" in a defensive situation. I got flak from my guide on African safari earlier this year because I took so much time verifying I had a safe shot, that I got made and let several critters get away from us. I literally have nightmares that I'm going to hesitate on whether it's "really" time to shoot and the situations going to go the wrong way.

Bellum_Intus

Check out "Tex grebner" on youtube. He did it with a 1911. So you could call it 1911 leg. Lol.

That's actually not a bad video! He's pretty up front about what and how it happened.. and yes, it can happen to anyone..

AND , I don't fault him on the defensive shooting (Close combat postition), it's actually part of stage 1 of POST qualification..

Hammers home "BE FREAKING SAFE!" ..

--Rob

mobiushky

That's actually not a bad video! He's pretty up front about what and how it happened.. and yes, it can happen to anyone..

AND , I don't fault him on the defensive shooting (Close combat postition), it's actually part of stage 1 of POST qualification..

Hammers home "BE FREAKING SAFE!" ..

--Rob

There's another video that breaks down all the things that went down. He mentioned the thumb drive issue, but the other guy explains why the serpa holster he was using also contributed. The problem was that hit flicked the safety off, then when he tried the draw the serpa locked up the gun so he tried to force the finger switch by curling his finger. As the gun released his finger just continued into the trigger guard and activated the bang switch. The other guy made a pretty decent case for not using that particular serpa on the belt. He mentioned that the thigh strapped serpa is much better. I'll see if I can track down the analysis video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDpxVG9XFJc

There you go.

Last edited:

Bellum_Intus

There's another video that breaks down all the things that went down. He mentioned the thumb drive issue, but the other guy explains why the serpa holster he was using also contributed.
There you go.

I use a Blackhawk SERPA LII with my 92FS.. Fortunately, even with my long fingers, the release is perfect as the 92 is long as well. Also, on the 92FS holster, the release is set above the trigger so even if you push with index, your finger falls above the trigger.
Tonight I TRIED to make my finger fall on the trigger using snap caps and was unable.

[edit] He also failed to mention that the model SERPA is fully adjustable so you aren't forced to wear with the firearm canted forward. I have mine mounted 1 adjustment to the rear because thats my natural hand fall..

I'll show you at the meet and greet (well without removing the firearm) and can demo with snap caps Sunday at the range.

--Rob

Last edited:

PFC HALE

There's another video that breaks down all the things that went down. He mentioned the thumb drive issue, but the other guy explains why the serpa holster he was using also contributed. The problem was that hit flicked the safety off, then when he tried the draw the serpa locked up the gun so he tried to force the finger switch by curling his finger. As the gun released his finger just continued into the trigger guard and activated the bang switch. The other guy made a pretty decent case for not using that particular serpa on the belt. He mentioned that the thigh strapped serpa is much better. I'll see if I can track down the analysis video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDpxVG9XFJc

There you go.

partly why i prefer the drop leg holster. Having the pistol on the hip make it awkward to draw for me, long arms and all. Drop leg holster can be adjusted to where you dont have to reach out or reach in to draw, its just there at hands length and can be drawn with ease. Plus if it does discharge, chances are it will hit the ground and not your leg/foot.

Another note of why i like my hk, the decocker is handy in keeping the pistol at level 0 readiness but without the risk of it being in double action mode. IE: decocker engaged, hammer is partly down and it requires a full trigger squeeze to fire instead of a hair trigger squeeze to fire, all with safety off.

Time to oder my serpa3 drop leg!

Last edited: