• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handling your gun outside the home or the range

GlockMom

I am new to this as you all know. When we leave the home, I will either have my gun on me secured in a holster loaded, or in my range bag locked and unloaded. I put the range bag in the trunk, but when it is OWB I sit with it in the car.

My question is: What are the laws/rules for handling your gun outside of the home or range?

http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/18.2-308.HTM

It is my understanding that as of this year you (June?) can put it in your glove box as that is considered a secured container. Am I wrong on that understanding?

Are you allowed to seat it, re-seat it when you get out of the car due to it being shifted when you sit? I avoid touching it with my hand at all so far.

Is it considered brandishing if you were to take it out of the trunk and place it into your holster? Or if it is in the glove box, and you remove it from the glove box to put it OWB?

I apologize if this is considered a stupid question, or one that has been answered before. If it has been addressed please point me to the thread.

wylde007

You are allowed to do whatever you want with your own sidearm/weapon as long as someone does not construe it as malicious or menacing.

"Intent" is often the imperative. Unless someone can reasonably and rationally state that your handling of a firearm made them fear materially for their lives and/or safety, then you have nothing to worry about.

Most people who carry have learned to "adjust their junk" discretely.

Truckdriver1975

I can't quote any laws but I'm very cautious about handling my weapon in public. I'll holster or unholster it in the car if I'm arriving at or leaving a place where I can't carry. I just try to keep it down and make sure nobody outside is in a position to see it. As far as adjusting it, it its an IWB day I don't worry too much about it. It it's an OC day I try do do what needs done in the car or go to a bathroom stall. I imagine an anti could cause a lot of trouble for you if they see you handle your weapon and decide to be intimidated.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Based on personal experience it seems that you would be more likely to be accused of brandishing if you pointed your finger at someone than if you were doing trick spins with your handgun in the parking lot at Wal-Mart.

Moving back to being serious -

It is my understanding that as of this year you (June?) can put it in your glove box as that is considered a secured container. Am I wrong on that understanding?
Double-check me but I thought that went into effect last year. The glove box does not have to be locked but the door does need to be closed. Same for a center console with a closable lid. The law allows carry in a "compartment" as well and there is nothing I know of saying things like map pockets are not compartments.

Are you allowed to seat it, re-seat it when you get out of the car due to it being shifted when you sit? I avoid touching it with my hand at all so far.
If you were for some reason carrying it on the passenger seat, you would need to reholster it. Do so discreetly - as in using your open door to block the view of hoplophobes and ninnies. When you are sitting in your car how can someone outside tell what you are doing with your hand? Admonitions about booger hooks being kept away from bang switches apply, of course.

Is it considered brandishing if you were to take it out of the trunk and place it into your holster? Or if it is in the glove box, and you remove it from the glove box to put it OWB?
Most likely not. The Va Supremre Court pretty much gave up on its ruling in Morris that any showing of the firearm in a way that the person viewing could preceieve was intended as a threat satisfied the definition of brandishing - which by the way is defined in law as "brandishing".:eek: Yes, the law needs cleaning up. Just let's not get it named the skidmark law, OK?

Again, the main thing is to keep the activity low-key. Using your vehicle as a visual shield is different from needing to hide your activity - such as folks in Florida or Texas must do.

stay safe.

Sheriff

Based on personal experience it seems that you would be more likely to be accused of brandishing if you pointed your finger at someone than if you were doing trick spins with your handgun in the parking lot at Wal-Mart.

Moving back to being serious -

Moving back to being serious? Brandishing the ole smoking finger at a cop is already alive and well in prosecuting people in this country.

It's catching on nationwide. And the judges are convicting for it. How much more serious can you get? :lol:

TFred

Double-check me but I thought that went into effect last year. The glove box does not have to be locked but the door does need to be closed. Same for a center console with a closable lid. The law allows carry in a "compartment" as well and there is nothing I know of saying things like map pockets are not compartments.
I don't think there is any way to double-check this, but I have never read any discussion on whether or not a "map pocket" would count as a compartment. I bet it would take some interesting argument to persuade a judge, and it would also probably depend on whether the pocket was the kind that was "closed" with elastic or something (like on the back of the front seats), as opposed to an "open" pocket like in the side of the car door.

Every step is closer and closer to Constitutional Carry.

TFred

ETA: tweak

Last edited:

ryan7068

I don't think there is any way to double-check this, but I have never read any discussion on whether or not a "map pocket" would count as a compartment. I bet it would take some interesting argument to persuade a judge, and it would also probably depend on whether the pocket was the kind that was "closed" with elastic or something (like on the back of the front seats), as opposed to an "open" pocket like in the side of the car door.

Every step is closer and closer to Constitutional Carry.

TFred

ETA: tweak

Of course this is open to opinion, but I would go with something with a latch as a so called "secured container". thats just me :D

-of course you could always say it was sitting on the dashboard "in plain view" and when you were stopped "aka no longer transporting" you then put it in you map pocket. That may mess them up :eek:

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Why play games in the hopes of confusing the cops and the situaion? Why not just go with what the law says?

If you prefer to use only compartments that have covers that latch, then do so. If you are willing to say the law allows you to use map pockets and the like then go ahead. One position is highly risk-adversive; the other is not.

stay safe.

Fenris

I have heard some police officers say that they often rest their hand on their gun grip because it is comfortable. I might have to try that. You know, for the comfort factor. ;)

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
I have heard some police officers say that they often rest their hand on their gun grip because it is comfortable. I might have to try that. You know, for the comfort factor. ;)

I never really rested on mine, or used mine as a hat rack. I would stuff my leather search gloves in behind the holster though, since they were easily accessible and it didn't affect my draw.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
Why play games in the hopes of confusing the cops and the situaion? Why not just go with what the law says?

If you prefer to use only compartments that have covers that latch, then do so. If you are willing to say the law allows you to use map pockets and the like then go ahead. One position is highly risk-adversive; the other is not.

stay safe.

I am afraid all these changes in the law are too late for a lot of us. I already have a small lock box I keep in the car for storage when I choose not to carry. If I need to transport a weapon in a "Compartment" then that is where it goes. It would no doubt meet the requirements of the new code, as it worked for the old one.

Regards

Last edited: