Thread: Moving to Virginia soon

Moving to Virginia soon

Hopefully someone can answer this:

I recently sent in a package for a non-resident Virginia CHP, and I just found out my transfer came through so I will be moving to Virginia in about 6 months. What (if anything) do I have to do to make the non-resident permit into a resident permit?

Thanks in advance

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Establish residency...go to the Circuit Court clerk's office in the county/city where you moved......fill out the app, give them a copy of your training, pay $50...wait 45 days.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

I'm not aware of any requirement to do that, anyone else know of one?

Any reason the non-resident wouldn't be fine until it expires?

TFred

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post

TFred
    He can simply use that permit until it expires.

Quote Originally Posted by VCDL President View Post
    He can simply use that permit until it expires.
    Thank you gentlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post

TFred
    He may want to get a change of address for his permit, though. From the state police website:
    Change of Address

Permit holders are requested to notify the Virginia State Police, Firearms Transaction Center (FTC) of changes of address. Notification may be made in writing to the FTC at P.O. Box 85141, Richmond, VA, 23285-5141 or on-line at nonrespermit@vsp.virginia.gov, and must include the permit file number or a photocopy of the permit. A change of address card will be provided to the permit holder, to be retained with the original permit.
    I'm sure that they've addressed this issue before, and they might be able to help him convert his non-resident permit to a resident permit.
    Alma 43:47 - "And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed...."
    Self defense isn't just a good idea, it's a commandment.

Quote Originally Posted by grylnsmn View Post
    I'm sure that they've addressed this issue before, and they might be able to help him convert his non-resident permit to a resident permit.
    Since the process is completely different between resident and non-resident, I don't see any way that a conversion could be done with a shortcut.

I would personally like to see residents given the option to go through the non-resident process, so that if they want, they can be issued a photo ID card like the non-resident card has.

And actually, now that we are "shall issue", and criminal background records are all computerized, there really is simply no need to burden our court clerks and judges with this task. It's a waste of their valuable time. I'd be in favor of a centralized process for ALL CHP applications. There is no advantage to handling it locally now, the "information grid" catches you either way.

TFred

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    The resident permit has better reciprocity than the NR permit...that's a good reason to change.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Change of Address

Permit holders are requested to notify the Virginia State Police, Firearms Transaction Center (FTC) of changes of address. Notification may be made in writing to the FTC at P.O. Box 85141, Richmond, VA, 23285-5141 or on-line at nonrespermit@vsp.virginia.gov, and must include the permit file number or a photocopy of the permit. A change of address card will be provided to the permit holder, to be retained with the original permit.
    Uh, why?

"Requested" is not "required" and why on earth would you notify the state police if you don't notify the court that issued it? Doesn't make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    Uh, why?

"Requested" is not "required" and why on earth would you notify the state police if you don't notify the court that issued it? Doesn't make sense to me.
    Just a wild guess - Because the VSP CHP verification system, which is suppoed to operate 24/7, needs to assure some out-of-state cop your non-res CHP is in fact issued to you even though you have an address on your DL that does not match your CHP. Not that anybody being proned out really cares if the cops believe you instead of their stinkin', lyin' eyes.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit