• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to Virginia soon

TheRock

Hopefully someone can answer this:

I recently sent in a package for a non-resident Virginia CHP, and I just found out my transfer came through so I will be moving to Virginia in about 6 months. What (if anything) do I have to do to make the non-resident permit into a resident permit?

Thanks in advance

grylnsmn

I'm not aware of any requirement to do that, anyone else know of one?

Any reason the non-resident wouldn't be fine until it expires?

TFred

He may want to get a change of address for his permit, though. From the state police website:
Change of Address

Permit holders are requested to notify the Virginia State Police, Firearms Transaction Center (FTC) of changes of address. Notification may be made in writing to the FTC at P.O. Box 85141, Richmond, VA, 23285-5141 or on-line at nonrespermit@vsp.virginia.gov, and must include the permit file number or a photocopy of the permit. A change of address card will be provided to the permit holder, to be retained with the original permit.
I'm sure that they've addressed this issue before, and they might be able to help him convert his non-resident permit to a resident permit.

TFred

I'm sure that they've addressed this issue before, and they might be able to help him convert his non-resident permit to a resident permit.
Since the process is completely different between resident and non-resident, I don't see any way that a conversion could be done with a shortcut.

I would personally like to see residents given the option to go through the non-resident process, so that if they want, they can be issued a photo ID card like the non-resident card has.

And actually, now that we are "shall issue", and criminal background records are all computerized, there really is simply no need to burden our court clerks and judges with this task. It's a waste of their valuable time. I'd be in favor of a centralized process for ALL CHP applications. There is no advantage to handling it locally now, the "information grid" catches you either way.

TFred

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Change of Address

Permit holders are requested to notify the Virginia State Police, Firearms Transaction Center (FTC) of changes of address. Notification may be made in writing to the FTC at P.O. Box 85141, Richmond, VA, 23285-5141 or on-line at nonrespermit@vsp.virginia.gov, and must include the permit file number or a photocopy of the permit. A change of address card will be provided to the permit holder, to be retained with the original permit.

Uh, why?

"Requested" is not "required" and why on earth would you notify the state police if you don't notify the court that issued it? Doesn't make sense to me.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Uh, why?

"Requested" is not "required" and why on earth would you notify the state police if you don't notify the court that issued it? Doesn't make sense to me.

Just a wild guess - Because the VSP CHP verification system, which is suppoed to operate 24/7, needs to assure some out-of-state cop your non-res CHP is in fact issued to you even though you have an address on your DL that does not match your CHP. Not that anybody being proned out really cares if the cops believe you instead of their stinkin', lyin' eyes.

stay safe.