Thread: KCPD shoots dog checking a false alarm.

KCPD shoots dog checking a false alarm.

http://www.reddit.com/r/kansascity/c..._this_morning/

Doesn't really surprise me, but it does sicken me.

Luckily, he was only shot twice out of four shots taken...keep it classy KCPD.

The homeowner talked to the Police Sergeant and he confirmed that they knew it was a false alarm. The officers on the scene left before anyone who lives there arrived. The Sergeant said that this behavior was protocol. My roomate is left with a costly vet bill and no explanation for what happened.
    That's total BS. I hope they get held accountable.

Don't consider Reddit a source of accurate information. This story is crazy light on details and not very believable.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Activist Member
    Agree, considering there is obviously information that is missing. I can only put down my opinion unless I see all the details on what started and lead to the shooting.
    Nothing better than a Glock.........except maybe another Glock!

It's unfortunate and I would be inconsolable if it happened to one of my dogs but what is the officer to do when a dog charges at him?

How long would you wait before pulling your gun and shooting?

==========================================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/n...al-worker.html

This cop and his thug buddies should be fired for being trigger happy pantywaists.

Cops get to shoot dogs where as letter carriers are not so privileged to carry a gun for self-defense.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-gal View Post
    It's unfortunate and I would be inconsolable if it happened to one of my dogs but what is the officer to do when a dog charges at him?

How long would you wait before pulling your gun and shooting?

==========================================
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    I don't know all the circumstances but I agree. We have the right to bear arms not to let our animals run loose. It does not matter to me if it was a false alarm, what matters is if there was a legitimate reason for the dog to be at large. I have lost livestock to dogs at large, I do not hesitate to shoot them, especially if they are charging my family, myself, or my livestock. To be honest I fear a dog at large attack much more then a attack from a criminal while walking. At my age 57 I have had many many aggressive dog incidents, while only a couple criminal attempts while a civilian.

Dog bite statistics

An estimated 4.7 million dog bites occur in the U.S. each year2,3
    Nearly 800,000 dog bites require medical care2
    Approximately 92% of fatal dog attacks involved male dogs, 94% of which were not neutered1
    Approximately 25% of fatal dog attacks involved chained dogs1
    Approximately 71% of bites occur to the extremities (arms, legs, hands, feet)2
    Approximately two-thirds of bites occurred on or near the victim’s property, and most victims knew the dog
    The insurance industry pays more than $1 billion in dog-bite claims each year3
    At least 25 different breeds of dogs have been involved in the 238 dog-bite-related fatalities in the U.S.4
    Approximately 24% of human deaths involved unrestrained dogs off of their owners’ property4
    Approximately 58% of human deaths involved unrestrained dogs on their owners’ property4

http://www.americanhumane.org/animal...dog-bites.html

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Approximately 24% of human deaths involved unrestrained dogs off of their owners’ property4
    Approximately 58% of human deaths involved unrestrained dogs on their owners’ property4

http://www.americanhumane.org/animal...dog-bites.html
    So going by these numbers we can assume that Dogs are responsible for 82% of all Human Deaths each year. wow and I hear all the time that guns kill a lot of people, maybe we should get a Dog Control lobby going on just to control these dangerous dogs.

**Edit** Upon further research for the year 2011 I could only find 15 Documented cases of Dogs killing humans, maybe we don't need a Dog Control Lobby after all.
    There might be a few I missed as I found these after only about 15 min but still not that many documented cases of Humans being killed by Dogs.

It does happen and it is sad that it does but the frequency that it happens does not justify being terrified of Dogs and killing them because they looked at me wrong.
    Last edited by Guido; 06-26-2012 at 02:52 AM. Reason: added research quote

Well, being in my late 20's, in semi-decent shape, and large, dogs are one of the last things I fear out on the street. I can see circumstances that I would feel the need to protect myself or others against certain animals, but lets face it, a medium sized dog 'charging' vs. 2-3 officers, was a gun really necessary? I think that even drawing your firearm as an officer should be taken VERY seriously, let alone discharging it with the intent to kill something.

Mace? Tazer? Club?

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    So going by these numbers we can assume that Dogs are responsible for 82% of all Human Deaths each year. wow and I hear all the time that guns kill a lot of people, maybe we should get a Dog Control lobby going on just to control these dangerous dogs.

**Edit** Upon further research for the year 2011 I could only find 15 Documented cases of Dogs killing humans, maybe we don't need a Dog Control Lobby after all.
    There might be a few I missed as I found these after only about 15 min but still not that many documented cases of Humans being killed by Dogs.

It does happen and it is sad that it does but the frequency that it happens does not justify being terrified of Dogs and killing them because they looked at me wrong.
    I am not terrified of dogs, I was owner for years of wolves, besides being a dog trainer at one point for both hunting and protection dogs. Would you leave your handgun laying around in the yard unsecured? Owning dogs is a responsibility, if people cannot handle the duty, they have no business owning dogs. The public whether police or civilians should not have to wait to be mauled to protect themselves from dogs at large, it is just downright stupid. Though the number of deaths is small the number of mauling is very high.

At this time I have two dogs, an aging wolf(16 years) and 1 year old brindle retriever, so I am not a dog hater. My property is fenced and when I am not in a position to watch the brindle he is penned or hooked up, at least until he is two years old. I have put down one dog because the dog was a danger if he should ever get out of the yard. It broke our hearts, but I had a responsibility to my neighbors and the rest of the community. There is no excuse for letting dogs run without supervision, NONE!
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 06-26-2012 at 03:44 PM.

'Pepper spray'.....
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kcgunfan View Post
    Don't consider Reddit a source of accurate information. This story is crazy light on details and not very believable.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    reddit is my only source of news ... raw and uncut .. and they have cute cat pictures

From the link at reddit (one tough dog! yea Rectangle!):

The police officer shot Lindsey Hartnett's dog, Rectangle, twice in the leg and once in the head while responding to a burglary alarm at her home in the 5700 block of Highland Avenue.

It was a false alarm, and Rectangle is expected to make a full recovery.

Read more: http://www.kshb.com/dpp/news/local_n...#ixzz1ywr5qkS0
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 06-26-2012 at 08:19 PM.

5700 highland Ave., Kansas City, MO.

Use Google Earth and you will see the 'home'.

Watch the video of the news report to confirm the address.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post

If the dog does not bite, and is not aggressive, why would she release him if she thought there was a burglar. Not only is it dangerous to the dog, she turned loose her possibly only source of protection should a burglar get in. If my dogs are inside and bark, I investigate myself, if I take a dog with me the dog is on a leash. That way the dog is at my side, and in my control. She had to understand under the terms of her contract from the alarm company that the police were on their way, and did not need the help of a dog. She made a misjudgement that resulted in the injury, in this case the police did nothing wrong. Now because of the broadcast bad guys know she has a dog she claims will not bite, and because she is faulting police they may be a tad more reluctant to respond. I feel sorry for the dog, it is not his fault.

A barking dog does not translate into a dangerous dog. The cops are not going to get gigged over shooting a dog.

A barking dog does not translate into a dangerous dog. The cops are not going to get gigged over shooting a dog.
    That is not the officers version, and she admittedly was not there at the time of the shooting. Again the question still remains why she let the dog out if she suspected a burglar. Especially when she says the dog was mild tempered, this seems not so bright and cruel to the dog. What did she think the burglar was going to do?

Technically, it does not matter why the dog was 'out', all that matters is that the cop asserts that he was justified in shooting the dog that was 'out'.

There appears to be no contradictory witness, so, the cop's version stands as the fact of the matter. He was justified because he stated he was justified. End of this story. A life lesson learned by the owner of the dog.....well, I hope so, for Rectangle's sake.

A life lesson learned by the owner of the dog.....well, I hope so, for Rectangle's sake.
    I can agree with the life lesson, many people think of their dogs as children, and by the money she spent to save his life it appears she did also. I hope she keeps that in mind in the future.

Looks like a regular home to me.

========================
    Teaching Classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA

The experience of the cops, in that area, may have had some small influence on their perception of pets in that area.

It does appear that it could have been a regular home at some point in the past. It may be a multi-unit house at this point.

It is definitely a diamond in the rough.

Control your dogs. There is no argument in this really if a dog attacks or appears to attack for no reason you have a right to protect yourself. The LEO's were only coming by to make sure everything was ok. Actually kind of nice of them, but then after killing the dog I could just hear them say "Lets get the hell out of here".

I have been attacked by dogs on three occasions and the dogs in all three tried to bite me, one going for my wrist and the other my throat. Two of the attacks were turned by me kicking the dog as hard as I could.

The one attack that went for my throat, I have no idea what happened, I was about 10 years old and jumped this fence playing hide and seek, someone new to the neighborhood had moved in there and they had a German Shepard that I did not know about. It jumped right at me for my throat. Next thing I remembered I was on the other side of the fence looking at him barking and spitting. I had a tear in my shirt right next to my neck but not even a scratch. I have no idea how I got away or over the fence, its like someone reached down and pulled me out of there. All I remember was looking at that mouth with all those teeth and it was only a foot away from ripping my throat out, then poof, I was safe.
    Last edited by gunns; 06-28-2012 at 09:22 AM.

If the 15 foot mark is the acceptable mark to shoot a dog that is barking and running then there are MANY MANY dogs I should have shot then.

Growing up, I clobbered one neighbor's dog with my walking staff because it had shown up in our yard again to try and fight with our German Shepard Dog, who was a sweet girl, again.

Out hiking there are idiots who let their dog run loose out of their back yards and I have had them come after my dogs and I. I sent my dogs ahead and took up the rear, throwing rocks at the aggressors, and had to draw at one point because the rocks did not deter them. I never once shot them.

As for sending the dog out of the house. It makes sense. Trying to check the house while a dog is bumping making noise is not easy. Part of clearing a house is listening for the movement of another body, it's not all visual.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)