• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

KCPD shoots dog checking a false alarm.

S&W_Guy

The homeowner talked to the Police Sergeant and he confirmed that they knew it was a false alarm. The officers on the scene left before anyone who lives there arrived. The Sergeant said that this behavior was protocol. My roomate is left with a costly vet bill and no explanation for what happened.
That's total BS. I hope they get held accountable.

kcgunfan

Don't consider Reddit a source of accurate information. This story is crazy light on details and not very believable.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

DWCook

Activist Member
Agree, considering there is obviously information that is missing. I can only put down my opinion unless I see all the details on what started and lead to the shooting.

Steeler-gal

It's unfortunate and I would be inconsolable if it happened to one of my dogs but what is the officer to do when a dog charges at him?

How long would you wait before pulling your gun and shooting?

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

WalkingWolf

It's unfortunate and I would be inconsolable if it happened to one of my dogs but what is the officer to do when a dog charges at him?

How long would you wait before pulling your gun and shooting?

==========================================
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA

I don't know all the circumstances but I agree. We have the right to bear arms not to let our animals run loose. It does not matter to me if it was a false alarm, what matters is if there was a legitimate reason for the dog to be at large. I have lost livestock to dogs at large, I do not hesitate to shoot them, especially if they are charging my family, myself, or my livestock. To be honest I fear a dog at large attack much more then a attack from a criminal while walking. At my age 57 I have had many many aggressive dog incidents, while only a couple criminal attempts while a civilian.

Dog bite statistics

An estimated 4.7 million dog bites occur in the U.S. each year2,3
Nearly 800,000 dog bites require medical care2
Approximately 92% of fatal dog attacks involved male dogs, 94% of which were not neutered1
Approximately 25% of fatal dog attacks involved chained dogs1
Approximately 71% of bites occur to the extremities (arms, legs, hands, feet)2
Approximately two-thirds of bites occurred on or near the victim’s property, and most victims knew the dog
The insurance industry pays more than $1 billion in dog-bite claims each year3
At least 25 different breeds of dogs have been involved in the 238 dog-bite-related fatalities in the U.S.4
Approximately 24% of human deaths involved unrestrained dogs off of their owners’ property4
Approximately 58% of human deaths involved unrestrained dogs on their owners’ property4

http://www.americanhumane.org/animals/stop-animal-abuse/fact-sheets/dog-bites.html

Guido

Approximately 24% of human deaths involved unrestrained dogs off of their owners’ property4
Approximately 58% of human deaths involved unrestrained dogs on their owners’ property4

http://www.americanhumane.org/animals/stop-animal-abuse/fact-sheets/dog-bites.html

So going by these numbers we can assume that Dogs are responsible for 82% of all Human Deaths each year. wow and I hear all the time that guns kill a lot of people, maybe we should get a Dog Control lobby going on just to control these dangerous dogs.

**Edit** Upon further research for the year 2011 I could only find 15 Documented cases of Dogs killing humans, maybe we don't need a Dog Control Lobby after all.
There might be a few I missed as I found these after only about 15 min but still not that many documented cases of Humans being killed by Dogs.

It does happen and it is sad that it does but the frequency that it happens does not justify being terrified of Dogs and killing them because they looked at me wrong.

Last edited:

chakragod

Well, being in my late 20's, in semi-decent shape, and large, dogs are one of the last things I fear out on the street. I can see circumstances that I would feel the need to protect myself or others against certain animals, but lets face it, a medium sized dog 'charging' vs. 2-3 officers, was a gun really necessary? I think that even drawing your firearm as an officer should be taken VERY seriously, let alone discharging it with the intent to kill something.

Mace? Tazer? Club?

WalkingWolf

So going by these numbers we can assume that Dogs are responsible for 82% of all Human Deaths each year. wow and I hear all the time that guns kill a lot of people, maybe we should get a Dog Control lobby going on just to control these dangerous dogs.

**Edit** Upon further research for the year 2011 I could only find 15 Documented cases of Dogs killing humans, maybe we don't need a Dog Control Lobby after all.
There might be a few I missed as I found these after only about 15 min but still not that many documented cases of Humans being killed by Dogs.

It does happen and it is sad that it does but the frequency that it happens does not justify being terrified of Dogs and killing them because they looked at me wrong.

I am not terrified of dogs, I was owner for years of wolves, besides being a dog trainer at one point for both hunting and protection dogs. Would you leave your handgun laying around in the yard unsecured? Owning dogs is a responsibility, if people cannot handle the duty, they have no business owning dogs. The public whether police or civilians should not have to wait to be mauled to protect themselves from dogs at large, it is just downright stupid. Though the number of deaths is small the number of mauling is very high.

At this time I have two dogs, an aging wolf(16 years) and 1 year old brindle retriever, so I am not a dog hater. My property is fenced and when I am not in a position to watch the brindle he is penned or hooked up, at least until he is two years old. I have put down one dog because the dog was a danger if he should ever get out of the yard. It broke our hearts, but I had a responsibility to my neighbors and the rest of the community. There is no excuse for letting dogs run without supervision, NONE!

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Don't consider Reddit a source of accurate information. This story is crazy light on details and not very believable.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

reddit is my only source of news ... raw and uncut .. and they have cute cat pictures :)

From the link at reddit (one tough dog! yea Rectangle!):

The police officer shot Lindsey Hartnett's dog, Rectangle, twice in the leg and once in the head while responding to a burglary alarm at her home in the 5700 block of Highland Avenue.

It was a false alarm, and Rectangle is expected to make a full recovery.

Read more: http://www.kshb.com/dpp/news/local_...logy-after-police-shoot-her-dog#ixzz1ywr5qkS0

Last edited:

OC for ME

5700 highland Ave., Kansas City, MO.

Use Google Earth and you will see the 'home'.

Watch the video of the news report to confirm the address.

WalkingWolf

If the dog does not bite, and is not aggressive, why would she release him if she thought there was a burglar. Not only is it dangerous to the dog, she turned loose her possibly only source of protection should a burglar get in. If my dogs are inside and bark, I investigate myself, if I take a dog with me the dog is on a leash. That way the dog is at my side, and in my control. She had to understand under the terms of her contract from the alarm company that the police were on their way, and did not need the help of a dog. She made a misjudgement that resulted in the injury, in this case the police did nothing wrong. Now because of the broadcast bad guys know she has a dog she claims will not bite, and because she is faulting police they may be a tad more reluctant to respond. I feel sorry for the dog, it is not his fault.

WalkingWolf

A barking dog does not translate into a dangerous dog. The cops are not going to get gigged over shooting a dog.

That is not the officers version, and she admittedly was not there at the time of the shooting. Again the question still remains why she let the dog out if she suspected a burglar. Especially when she says the dog was mild tempered, this seems not so bright and cruel to the dog. What did she think the burglar was going to do?

OC for ME

Technically, it does not matter why the dog was 'out', all that matters is that the cop asserts that he was justified in shooting the dog that was 'out'.

There appears to be no contradictory witness, so, the cop's version stands as the fact of the matter. He was justified because he stated he was justified. End of this story. A life lesson learned by the owner of the dog.....well, I hope so, for Rectangle's sake.

WalkingWolf

A life lesson learned by the owner of the dog.....well, I hope so, for Rectangle's sake.

I can agree with the life lesson, many people think of their dogs as children, and by the money she spent to save his life it appears she did also. I hope she keeps that in mind in the future.

Steeler-gal

Looks like a regular home to me.

========================
Teaching Classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA