Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone doing breakfast this weekend?

Anyone doing breakfast this weekend?

I was thinking about coming out for breakfast this week. But haven't seen the posting of where it will be this week. What about River city diner on W. Huguenot Rd. around 9am. Anyone game? I'll just be coming in for coffee and socializing. I'll have my four kids with me. Let me know.

Yeah, wouldn't that be nice! But I hear Bodo's is OC unfriendly... hard to eat there if they kick us out.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    We do breakfast EVERY SUNDAY in Ashburn at the Coney Island Diner at 0900. if you are on Facebook, you can always find the RSVP at http://tiny.cc/novabreakfast
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff View Post
    Come to Charlottesville and I will buy.

Bodos has the best egg, bacon and cheese bagels in this world!
    I'll take that invite.. what time and what location would you like to meet at.. I imagine Mk4 will join us if he's free and maybe Jay will as well.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Nothing gets by you Agent! Well, not much anyway!

My mention of Bodos was sarcastic since the friendly/unfriendly issue is pending.

The best way to find out is to test the waters... Neither one of us were asked not to carry and I doubt the employee will remember Jay if he returns and decides to join us, even if he does Jay wasn't trespassed.

So what time and what location.. I'll bring my kids so if they turn us away ..they'll be turning away more money.

Post it and they will come!!!
    Last edited by Marco; 06-22-2012 at 02:20 PM.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Quote Originally Posted by Agent19 View Post
    The best way to find out is to test the waters... Neither one of us were asked not to carry and I doubt the employee will remember Jay if he returns and decides to join us, even if he does Jay wasn't trespassed.

So what time and what location.. I'll bring my kids so if they turn us away ..they'll be turning away more money.

Post it and they will come!!!
    +1, Sheriff.
    Suggest time and location, please.
    Last edited by mk4; 06-22-2012 at 09:07 PM.
    “For life, liberty and Little Lizzie.” - John Connor (2005)

Thumbs down with most open carry events, it's not about having the right do so, it's about seeing

Actually, I am not the type of guy who wanders out into public with a weapon publicly displayed just to see what kind of reaction it incites. This is the trouble with most open carry events, it's not about having the right do so, it's about seeing the resulting riots that take place.

And my opinion of walking the streets with a video camera hoping to catch police officers in wrongful actions, it's just plain wrong. The rookies are just plain ignorant, they haven't been taught many laws when they are cut loose from the academy and field training. It's not their fault they are so stupid. And a wrongful open carry encounter is just a fresh blemish on their record. It follows them around for the rest of their career.
    So you mean to tell us, all those yrs you were LE you never OC'd? Rather than beer courage you had badge courage...
    I've never been to an OC outing that required anyone to OC or even carry!
    Please post when and where a VA OC'er caused riots ..... Fear Mongering at it's best.

With the last part of your first paragraph you have proven you aren't worth discussing things with.

EDIT:
    No need to reply as I won't bother reading your post from here on in.
    Last edited by Marco; 06-23-2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: edit

~Alan Korwin

Quote Originally Posted by mk4 View Post
    +1, Sheriff.
    Suggest time and location, please.
    Actually, I am not the type of guy who wanders out into public with a weapon publicly displayed just to see what kind of reaction it incites. This is the trouble with most open carry events, it's not about having the right do so, it's about seeing the resulting riots that take place.

And my opinion of walking the streets with a video camera hoping to catch police officers in wrongful actions, it's just plain wrong. The rookies are just plain ignorant, they haven't been taught many laws when they are cut loose from the academy and field training. It's not their fault they are so stupid. And a wrongful open carry encounter is just a fresh blemish on their record. It follows them around for the rest of their career.
    unfracking believable...
    there's so much wrong with your reply that i'm not going to waste any more bandwidth on it.

How about the fact that some of us citizens just feel that self defense is important enough to provide the most efficient means as a part of our everyday life, and also that we enjoy the company and conversatio of friends and others who may share that sentiment as one of the many things we have in common with each other?

Nobody is gathering for breakfast, or lunch, or dinner with the purpose of "seeing what kind of reaction it incites." You say that is "the trouble with most iopen carry events". I would very much like to know how you arrived at that conclusion.

While I can only speak with absolute authority for myself, I will share that many discussions have been had with others - OCers, CCers, and non-carriers - about whether or not any of our gatherings have been done with the intent of poking a sharp stick in the eye of the public. Yes, some events have been planned and carried out with just that intent - but to my knowledge none were breakfast/lunch/dinner gatherings.

There is a part of me that really would like to Badger you with questions about how you come to the conclusion that the risk of a negative police encounter is so great that it is almost unavoidable. But then I look at all the posts about folks going about their daily lives with no interaction from the cops, or "even worse" a positive interaction! The majority of OC Experience posts are "I went to so-and-so and did such-and-such and NOTHING HAPPENED!" A small number are accounts of discovering places that are OC-unfriendly, or of inconsistencies in responding to OCers. But over the last several years the OC Experience reports have gone from
    The rookies are just plain ignorant, they haven't been taught many laws when they are cut loose from the academy and field training. It's not their fault they are so stupid.
    to "The cop just smiled and went on with <what they were doing>" or "We had a (good) conversation about <type of sidearm> both were carrying" or, even better, about why the cop "wished he could carry <type of sidearm> instead of the brick his department issues."

Just where are all those stories of OCers that are being cuffed and stuffed by rookies who just do not know any better? Where are the reports of malls/restaurants/sidewalks being locked down and SWAT responding to MWAG calls because the horses fainted and the women stampeded at the mere sight of a sidearm? Where are they?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    How about the fact that some of us citizens just feel that self defense is important enough to provide the most efficient means as a part of our everyday life, and also that we enjoy the company and conversatio of friends and others who may share that sentiment as one of the many things we have in common with each other?

Nobody is gathering for breakfast, or lunch, or dinner with the purpose of "seeing what kind of reaction it incites." You say that is "the trouble with most iopen carry events". I would very much like to know how you arrived at that conclusion.

While I can only speak with absolute authority for myself, I will share that many discussions have been had with others - OCers, CCers, and non-carriers - about whether or not any of our gatherings have been done with the intent of poking a sharp stick in the eye of the public. Yes, some events have been planned and carried out with just that intent - but to my knowledge none were breakfast/lunch/dinner gatherings.

There is a part of me that really would like to Badger you with questions about how you come to the conclusion that the risk of a negative police encounter is so great that it is almost unavoidable. But then I look at all the posts about folks going about their daily lives with no interaction from the cops, or "even worse" a positive interaction! The majority of OC Experience posts are "I went to so-and-so and did such-and-such and NOTHING HAPPENED!" A small number are accounts of discovering places that are OC-unfriendly, or of inconsistencies in responding to OCers. But over the last several years the OC Experience reports have gone from to "The cop just smiled and went on with <what they were doing>" or "We had a (good) conversation about <type of sidearm> both were carrying" or, even better, about why the cop "wished he could carry <type of sidearm> instead of the brick his department issues."

Just where are all those stories of OCers that are being cuffed and stuffed by rookies who just do not know any better? Where are the reports of malls/restaurants/sidewalks being locked down and SWAT responding to MWAG calls because the horses fainted and the women stampeded at the mere sight of a sidearm? Where are they?

stay safe.
    Don't try to figure it out Skid. Sheriff is mad. He can't use blue print, I made fun of him, he left for good and no one cried...so now he's taking aim at me in not so subtle ways (Take a look at his new signature).
    -------------------------------------------------------
    my "Big Gun" compensates for other things!

This is not the first time he's made the videoing/recording comment.

Expect more trolling!
    Last edited by peter nap; 06-24-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Don't try to figure it out Skid. Sheriff is mad. ....
    I extend to him the courtesy of presuming that he is saying what he holds to be the truth and what he honestly believes. Just as I extend the same courtesy to Josh Sugarman. That both of them are dead wrong has nothing to do with presuming that they honestly believe the bushwah they spout.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

This is the trouble with most open carry events, it's not about having the right do so, it's about seeing the resulting riots that take place.
    This sounds like you've jumped the shark, Sheriff.

How many Virginia open carry events (meals, picnics, Govt meeting, etc) have you attended?

Quote Originally Posted by DrMark View Post
    This sounds like you've jumped the shark, Sheriff.

How many Virginia open carry events (meals, picnics, Govt meeting, etc) have you attended?
    Go look at http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/me...Badger-Johnson and tell me the similarities are not overwhelming.

We obviously went to different schools then. Because where I was educated the term "testing the waters" (above) is just another way of saying "see what kind of reaction it incites". While my initial entry into this discussion thread was sarcastic in nature, you can see it's not about self defense now. It's about going back up there with guns just to see how the manager reacts again.
    In that case everything we (you, me, the guy down the street) does is done with the intent of "seeing what kind of reaction it incites". And BTW, you deserve an award of some sort for picking the word "incite" out of the Thesaurus as opposed to any of the others you could have selected. Nice way to add some emotional spin to the issue.

However, I'll submit a plea of "Guilty" to what you are suggesting - I do go out OCing with the desire, among all other things, to see what if any reaction people may have to seeing me OCing. It's a great way to guage just how far the "campaign" of creating acceptance has progressed. I also admit to returning to places where I had previously encountered less than open-armed acceptance and welcome, for the specific purpose of seeing if whatever education I might have been able to do had a lasting impact.

I do not go out intending, or even merely hoping, to see horses faint and women stampede at the mere sight of my holstered sidearm. But one of the goals I have always set is to demonstrate that the presence of a safely, securely holsterd sidearm is no more cause for concern than a baby in a stroller - and in some cases is less alarming, less upsetting, and less intrusive. But if that is "inciting" I will plead guilty.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Are you really that paranoid or what?

How on God's Green Earth is my new signature directed at you?
    Oh maybe I was wrong...
    Sorry for what I did then

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Oh maybe I was wrong...
    Sorry for what I did then
    You're new avatar reflects your discerning good taste, sir. Excellent choice.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    You're new avatar reflects your discerning good taste, sir. Excellent choice.
    That's a frame grab from a promo video I shot at Yorktown last week Grape.
    It was on the Schooner Alliance. Interesting Boat.

Last edited by peter nap; 06-24-2012 at 04:35 PM.

OK, apology accepted.

My "big gun" is this.....

....."compensates for other things"

You'll just have to take my word for that. I ain't sending you no pictures of myself!!!!
    Well...now that you're suit against those nasty old Rookies is settled, you can get something nice!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Would you ever admit that some charge the batteries in ye ole camcorder, strap the gun on, and go out looking for the nearest cop to entrap?
    The is a difference between testing the waters/discovery process or educating municipalities and LEAs that have shown less than a cooperative attitude. IMO entrapment indicates wish fulfillment of prosecutorial intent.

Would you suggest that VCDL's picnic on July 14th is being set up to entrap LEOs?
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-Park-Salem-VA
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Would you ever admit that some charge the batteries in ye ole camcorder, strap the gun on, and go out looking for the nearest cop to entrap?
    "Entrap"? Only The Government can entrap a person.

"Some charge the batteries in ye ole camcorder, strap the gun on, and go out looking" to document the misbehavior of a government employee rising to the bait being offered by the lawful exercise of a right when knowing that OCing is felt by certain members of the law enforcement community to be "unacceptable"? Yeah, I'd go along with the thought that some people do that. Question for you - do you see that as inappropriate or donyou see that as performing a civic good? Then explain why.

Now, how do you feel about someone going out and about with a fully-charged video camera and OCing with the purpose of documenting that the local cops understand the rights of the citizens, refuse to allow personal convictions to interfere with the performance of their duty, and interact with the public in a socially appropriate manner?

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

I took the pleasure of amending your remark above. I hope you have no objections.

Nice???? This is pretty close to what I would call a disposable firearm. If somebody ever broke into my car and stole it the gun, no big loss.
    Yep, I have one with the 4" barrel that I leave on the ATV. Makes a good beater!
    Last edited by peter nap; 06-24-2012 at 05:08 PM.

My "big gun" is this.....

....."compensates for other things"
    That is not compensated - it's ported.

I hate it when folks misuse the language.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

If you research my past replies in this forum, I have told you guys and girls more than once that cops are pretty good at portraying whatever it is they think you want to see and hear. But deep down inside the majority of cops do not like citizens with guns, and the majority of cops think only cops and military should have unlimited access to firearms. With each passing decade, and each new generation of rookie coming down the pike, I see the mentality getting worse.

We had a "man with a gun" call in my city not long ago. Half a dozen cops tracked him down and detained him for at least 30 minutes. A sergeant who knows gun laws came along and the "suspect" was cut loose. Prior to the sergeant arriving, and the reason the sergeant actually responded, one of the rookies had asked dispatch to research his CHP and find out specifically what weapon he was authorized to carry. Can you believe that??? The entire gang of rookies wanted to find an excuse to arrest this guy and confiscate his GUNS. The nerve of him walking down the street in their city with an exposed firearm!!!

Sorry about the image quality of this event I describe. I had to capture a still from the video.....
    if this is the attitude of the "rookies" you describe, then they deserve to be humiliated and have reprimands added to their permanent file. evidently, if this is the trend of "rookies" in le, then their training, and the setting of expectations by their departments and superiors, is sorely lacking. boneheads or bullies have no business being given badges, guns and authority too easily abused.

all that said, i never leave the house with the intention of causing a stir because i'm openly and legally armed. i do carry a voice recorder *for my protection*, not to purposefully trap a leo ignorant of the law. it's not my fault if one violates my rights and is recorded doing so.

Sheriff,

"Riots" is just a figure of speech.

I also think you're reading more into what I wrote than I meant. If you pull up to Seven Eleven to run in and pick up a Big Gulp, it's a major problem if some cop confronts you, disarms you, and places false charges while confiscating your weapon. It's still a major problem if this takes place during a 2 mile walk. The difference is having a video recorder with you on the 2 mile walk and hoping to attract the attention of a cop who will make a mistake. It's no better than what a lot of cops do themselves nowadays.... a/k/a entrapment.

I still think responsible gun owners have rights that are trampled upon every day of the week. I haven't jumped ship yet. But I am not much into setting cops up to make a mistake any longer.
    A law abiding citizen having a video camera to protect himself from false charges from LEO is no different than your deputies having video cameras in their squads to protect from false charges of excessive force etc; or ARE they just out looking for trouble too.

Entrap???? Would you say cops ever do things like "Sting Operations"? Never pretend to be dope buyers/sellers; never leave a wired up car parked with the keys in it. This tactic generally only catches those with a predisposition to do the illegal. Why is walking down the street OCing with a video camera different that walking down the street just OCing? The only cops that need to worry about the camera are those predisposed to hassling a law abiding citizen. AND it serves the same purpose as bait cars, it causes those slightly inclined toward illegal behavior to think twice; you can't bait a law abiding person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast