• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone doing breakfast this weekend?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You're new avatar reflects your discerning good taste, sir. Excellent choice. :cool:

That's a frame grab from a promo video I shot at Yorktown last week Grape.
It was on the Schooner Alliance. Interesting Boat.

[video=youtube;f4uJtWPrvGA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=f4uJtWPrvGA#t=8s[/video]

Last edited:

Sheriff

I do not go out intending, or even merely hoping, to see horses faint and women stampede at the mere sight of my holstered sidearm.

Would you ever admit that some charge the batteries in ye ole camcorder, strap the gun on, and go out looking for the nearest cop to entrap?

Sheriff

Oh maybe I was wrong...:banana:
Sorry for what I did then:lol:

OK, apology accepted.

My "big gun" is this.....

ragingbull.jpg

....."compensates for other things"

You'll just have to take my word for that. I ain't sending you no pictures of myself!!!! :lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
OK, apology accepted.

My "big gun" is this.....

ragingbull.jpg

....."compensates for other things"

You'll just have to take my word for that. I ain't sending you no pictures of myself!!!! :lol:

Well...now that you're suit against those nasty old Rookies is settled, you can get something nice!

Sheriff

Well...now that your many lawsuits against those nasty old Rookies are settled, you can buy some nice stuff!

I took the pleasure of amending your remark above. I hope you have no objections.

Nice???? This is pretty close to what I would call a disposable firearm. If somebody ever broke into my car and stole it the gun, no big loss.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Would you ever admit that some charge the batteries in ye ole camcorder, strap the gun on, and go out looking for the nearest cop to entrap?

The is a difference between testing the waters/discovery process or educating municipalities and LEAs that have shown less than a cooperative attitude. IMO entrapment indicates wish fulfillment of prosecutorial intent.

Would you suggest that VCDL's picnic on July 14th is being set up to entrap LEOs?
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...cnic-7-14-12-4PM-9PM-Green-Hill-Park-Salem-VA

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

"Entrap"? Only The Government can entrap a person.

"Some charge the batteries in ye ole camcorder, strap the gun on, and go out looking" to document the misbehavior of a government employee rising to the bait being offered by the lawful exercise of a right when knowing that OCing is felt by certain members of the law enforcement community to be "unacceptable"? Yeah, I'd go along with the thought that some people do that. Question for you - do you see that as inappropriate or donyou see that as performing a civic good? Then explain why.

Now, how do you feel about someone going out and about with a fully-charged video camera and OCing with the purpose of documenting that the local cops understand the rights of the citizens, refuse to allow personal convictions to interfere with the performance of their duty, and interact with the public in a socially appropriate manner?

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I took the pleasure of amending your remark above. I hope you have no objections.

Nice???? This is pretty close to what I would call a disposable firearm. If somebody ever broke into my car and stole it the gun, no big loss.

Yep, I have one with the 4" barrel that I leave on the ATV. Makes a good beater!

Last edited:

Sheriff

Would you suggest that VCDL's picnic on July 14th is being set up to entrap LEOs?

Nope. But I am willing to bet that more than one participant has high hopes of cops showing up and being humiliated.

You may call it "educating" them, and rightfully so..... but some desire the humiliation factor. There's going to be dozens of personalities there, it's human nature.

Sheriff

Now, how do you feel about someone going out and about with a fully-charged video camera and OCing with the purpose of documenting that the local cops understand the rights of the citizens, refuse to allow personal convictions to interfere with the performance of their duty, and interact with the public in a socially appropriate manner?

stay safe.

If you research my past replies in this forum, I have told you guys and girls more than once that cops are pretty good at portraying whatever it is they think you want to see and hear. But deep down inside the majority of cops do not like citizens with guns, and the majority of cops think only cops and military should have unlimited access to firearms. With each passing decade, and each new generation of rookie coming down the pike, I see the mentality getting worse.

We had a "man with a gun" call in my city not long ago. Half a dozen cops tracked him down and detained him for at least 30 minutes. A sergeant who knows gun laws came along and the "suspect" was cut loose. Prior to the sergeant arriving, and the reason the sergeant actually responded, one of the rookies had asked dispatch to research his CHP and find out specifically what weapon he was authorized to carry. Can you believe that??? The entire gang of rookies wanted to find an excuse to arrest this guy and confiscate his GUNS. The nerve of him walking down the street in their city with an exposed firearm!!!

Sorry about the image quality of this event I describe. I had to capture a still from the video.....

cityguns.jpg

mk4

If you research my past replies in this forum, I have told you guys and girls more than once that cops are pretty good at portraying whatever it is they think you want to see and hear. But deep down inside the majority of cops do not like citizens with guns, and the majority of cops think only cops and military should have unlimited access to firearms. With each passing decade, and each new generation of rookie coming down the pike, I see the mentality getting worse.

We had a "man with a gun" call in my city not long ago. Half a dozen cops tracked him down and detained him for at least 30 minutes. A sergeant who knows gun laws came along and the "suspect" was cut loose. Prior to the sergeant arriving, and the reason the sergeant actually responded, one of the rookies had asked dispatch to research his CHP and find out specifically what weapon he was authorized to carry. Can you believe that??? The entire gang of rookies wanted to find an excuse to arrest this guy and confiscate his GUNS. The nerve of him walking down the street in their city with an exposed firearm!!!

Sorry about the image quality of this event I describe. I had to capture a still from the video.....

if this is the attitude of the "rookies" you describe, then they deserve to be humiliated and have reprimands added to their permanent file. evidently, if this is the trend of "rookies" in le, then their training, and the setting of expectations by their departments and superiors, is sorely lacking. boneheads or bullies have no business being given badges, guns and authority too easily abused.

all that said, i never leave the house with the intention of causing a stir because i'm openly and legally armed. i do carry a voice recorder *for my protection*, not to purposefully trap a leo ignorant of the law. it's not my fault if one violates my rights and is recorded doing so.

Sheriff

..... boneheads or bullies have no business being given badges, guns and authority too easily abused.

I think we all agree here. But these boneheads and bullies seems to be the only thing law enforcement can attract lately. Law enforcement took a wrong turn when they lowered standards to attract more applicants. They're not getting the applicants they wanted. Look at the Culpeper incident, departments are even hiring those who had a strong recomendation on NOT being hired.

F350

"Riots" is just a figure of speech.

I also think you're reading more into what I wrote than I meant. If you pull up to Seven Eleven to run in and pick up a Big Gulp, it's a major problem if some cop confronts you, disarms you, and places false charges while confiscating your weapon. It's still a major problem if this takes place during a 2 mile walk. The difference is having a video recorder with you on the 2 mile walk and hoping to attract the attention of a cop who will make a mistake. It's no better than what a lot of cops do themselves nowadays.... a/k/a entrapment.

I still think responsible gun owners have rights that are trampled upon every day of the week. I haven't jumped ship yet. But I am not much into setting cops up to make a mistake any longer.

A law abiding citizen having a video camera to protect himself from false charges from LEO is no different than your deputies having video cameras in their squads to protect from false charges of excessive force etc; or ARE they just out looking for trouble too.

F350

Entrap???? Would you say cops ever do things like "Sting Operations"? Never pretend to be dope buyers/sellers; never leave a wired up car parked with the keys in it. This tactic generally only catches those with a predisposition to do the illegal. Why is walking down the street OCing with a video camera different that walking down the street just OCing? The only cops that need to worry about the camera are those predisposed to hassling a law abiding citizen. AND it serves the same purpose as bait cars, it causes those slightly inclined toward illegal behavior to think twice; you can't bait a law abiding person.

Sheriff

F350, I agree with everything you're saying. But once again, these rookies out here on the street making so many mistakes nationwide in gun laws are one of two things.... 1) ready and willing to stample upon your Constitutionl rights, knowing you don't have the money to beat their employer, or under the impression that qualified immunity protects them if you do sue; or 2) haven't been trained properly on the gun laws in their state. I think most cops fall into category #2.

If the cop hasn't been properly trained, any mistake they make should not be put in their personnel folder and follow them around for the rest of their career. Like I mentioned above, why would a rookie think a CHP lists a particular weapon a person is allowed to carry? Because they haven't been trained on gun laws, that's why. Not that the person in my example above even needed a CHP, his weapon was visible when the "man with a gun" call went into 911.