• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone doing breakfast this weekend?

Bowesmobile

I was thinking about coming out for breakfast this week. But haven't seen the posting of where it will be this week. What about River city diner on W. Huguenot Rd. around 9am. Anyone game? I'll just be coming in for coffee and socializing. I'll have my four kids with me. Let me know.

Sheriff

Come to Charlottesville and I will buy.

Bodos has the best egg, bacon and cheese bagels in this world!

Sheriff

Yeah, wouldn't that be nice! But I hear Bodo's is OC unfriendly... hard to eat there if they kick us out. :banghead:

Nah. They won't kick me out.... gun or no gun.

I know the owner and he probably doesn't realize I am semi-retired now. :monkey:

Marco

Come to Charlottesville and I will buy.

Bodos has the best egg, bacon and cheese bagels in this world!

I'll take that invite.. what time and what location would you like to meet at.. I imagine Mk4 will join us if he's free and maybe Jay will as well.

Sheriff

Nothing gets by you Agent! Well, not much anyway!

My mention of Bodos was sarcastic since the friendly/unfriendly issue is pending. :lol:

Marco

Nothing gets by you Agent! Well, not much anyway!

My mention of Bodos was sarcastic since the friendly/unfriendly issue is pending. :lol:

The best way to find out is to test the waters... Neither one of us were asked not to carry and I doubt the employee will remember Jay if he returns and decides to join us, even if he does Jay wasn't trespassed.

So what time and what location.. I'll bring my kids so if they turn us away ..they'll be turning away more money.

Post it and they will come!!! :p

Last edited:

mk4

The best way to find out is to test the waters... Neither one of us were asked not to carry and I doubt the employee will remember Jay if he returns and decides to join us, even if he does Jay wasn't trespassed.

So what time and what location.. I'll bring my kids so if they turn us away ..they'll be turning away more money.

Post it and they will come!!! :p

+1, Sheriff.
Suggest time and location, please.

Last edited:

Sheriff

+1, Sheriff.

Actually, I am not the type of guy who wanders out into public with a weapon publicly displayed just to see what kind of reaction it incites. This is the trouble with most open carry events, it's not about having the right do so, it's about seeing the resulting riots that take place.

And my opinion of walking the streets with a video camera hoping to catch police officers in wrongful actions, it's just plain wrong. The rookies are just plain ignorant, they haven't been taught many laws when they are cut loose from the academy and field training. It's not their fault they are so stupid. And a wrongful open carry encounter is just a fresh blemish on their record. It follows them around for the rest of their career.

Marco

with most open carry events, it's not about having the right do so, it's about seeing

Actually, I am not the type of guy who wanders out into public with a weapon publicly displayed just to see what kind of reaction it incites. This is the trouble with most open carry events, it's not about having the right do so, it's about seeing the resulting riots that take place.

And my opinion of walking the streets with a video camera hoping to catch police officers in wrongful actions, it's just plain wrong. The rookies are just plain ignorant, they haven't been taught many laws when they are cut loose from the academy and field training. It's not their fault they are so stupid. And a wrongful open carry encounter is just a fresh blemish on their record. It follows them around for the rest of their career.

So you mean to tell us, all those yrs you were LE you never OC'd? Rather than beer courage you had badge courage...
I've never been to an OC outing that required anyone to OC or even carry!
Please post when and where a VA OC'er caused riots ..... Fear Mongering at it's best.

With the last part of your first paragraph you have proven you aren't worth discussing things with.

EDIT:
No need to reply as I won't bother reading your post from here on in.

Last edited:

Sheriff

"Riots" is just a figure of speech.

I also think you're reading more into what I wrote than I meant. If you pull up to Seven Eleven to run in and pick up a Big Gulp, it's a major problem if some cop confronts you, disarms you, and places false charges while confiscating your weapon. It's still a major problem if this takes place during a 2 mile walk. The difference is having a video recorder with you on the 2 mile walk and hoping to attract the attention of a cop who will make a mistake. It's no better than what a lot of cops do themselves nowadays.... a/k/a entrapment.

I still think responsible gun owners have rights that are trampled upon every day of the week. I haven't jumped ship yet. But I am not much into setting cops up to make a mistake any longer.

mk4

+1, Sheriff.

unfracking believable... :banghead:
there's so much wrong with your reply that i'm not going to waste any more bandwidth on it. :rolleyes:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

How about the fact that some of us citizens just feel that self defense is important enough to provide the most efficient means as a part of our everyday life, and also that we enjoy the company and conversatio of friends and others who may share that sentiment as one of the many things we have in common with each other?

Nobody is gathering for breakfast, or lunch, or dinner with the purpose of "seeing what kind of reaction it incites." You say that is "the trouble with most iopen carry events". I would very much like to know how you arrived at that conclusion.

While I can only speak with absolute authority for myself, I will share that many discussions have been had with others - OCers, CCers, and non-carriers - about whether or not any of our gatherings have been done with the intent of poking a sharp stick in the eye of the public. Yes, some events have been planned and carried out with just that intent - but to my knowledge none were breakfast/lunch/dinner gatherings.

There is a part of me that really would like to Badger you with questions about how you come to the conclusion that the risk of a negative police encounter is so great that it is almost unavoidable. But then I look at all the posts about folks going about their daily lives with no interaction from the cops, or "even worse" a positive interaction! The majority of OC Experience posts are "I went to so-and-so and did such-and-such and NOTHING HAPPENED!" A small number are accounts of discovering places that are OC-unfriendly, or of inconsistencies in responding to OCers. But over the last several years the OC Experience reports have gone from
The rookies are just plain ignorant, they haven't been taught many laws when they are cut loose from the academy and field training. It's not their fault they are so stupid.
to "The cop just smiled and went on with <what they were doing>" or "We had a (good) conversation about <type of sidearm> both were carrying" or, even better, about why the cop "wished he could carry <type of sidearm> instead of the brick his department issues."

Just where are all those stories of OCers that are being cuffed and stuffed by rookies who just do not know any better? Where are the reports of malls/restaurants/sidewalks being locked down and SWAT responding to MWAG calls because the horses fainted and the women stampeded at the mere sight of a sidearm? Where are they?

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
How about the fact that some of us citizens just feel that self defense is important enough to provide the most efficient means as a part of our everyday life, and also that we enjoy the company and conversatio of friends and others who may share that sentiment as one of the many things we have in common with each other?

Nobody is gathering for breakfast, or lunch, or dinner with the purpose of "seeing what kind of reaction it incites." You say that is "the trouble with most iopen carry events". I would very much like to know how you arrived at that conclusion.

While I can only speak with absolute authority for myself, I will share that many discussions have been had with others - OCers, CCers, and non-carriers - about whether or not any of our gatherings have been done with the intent of poking a sharp stick in the eye of the public. Yes, some events have been planned and carried out with just that intent - but to my knowledge none were breakfast/lunch/dinner gatherings.

There is a part of me that really would like to Badger you with questions about how you come to the conclusion that the risk of a negative police encounter is so great that it is almost unavoidable. But then I look at all the posts about folks going about their daily lives with no interaction from the cops, or "even worse" a positive interaction! The majority of OC Experience posts are "I went to so-and-so and did such-and-such and NOTHING HAPPENED!" A small number are accounts of discovering places that are OC-unfriendly, or of inconsistencies in responding to OCers. But over the last several years the OC Experience reports have gone from to "The cop just smiled and went on with <what they were doing>" or "We had a (good) conversation about <type of sidearm> both were carrying" or, even better, about why the cop "wished he could carry <type of sidearm> instead of the brick his department issues."

Just where are all those stories of OCers that are being cuffed and stuffed by rookies who just do not know any better? Where are the reports of malls/restaurants/sidewalks being locked down and SWAT responding to MWAG calls because the horses fainted and the women stampeded at the mere sight of a sidearm? Where are they?

stay safe.

Don't try to figure it out Skid. Sheriff is mad. He can't use blue print, I made fun of him, he left for good and no one cried...so now he's taking aim at me in not so subtle ways (Take a look at his new signature:lol:).
-------------------------------------------------------
my "Big Gun" compensates for other things!

This is not the first time he's made the videoing/recording comment.

Expect more trolling!

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Don't try to figure it out Skid. Sheriff is mad. ....

I extend to him the courtesy of presuming that he is saying what he holds to be the truth and what he honestly believes. Just as I extend the same courtesy to Josh Sugarman. That both of them are dead wrong has nothing to do with presuming that they honestly believe the bushwah they spout.

stay safe.

Sheriff

Nobody is gathering for breakfast, or lunch, or dinner with the purpose of "seeing what kind of reaction it incites."

We obviously went to different schools then. Because where I was educated the term "testing the waters" (above) is just another way of saying "see what kind of reaction it incites". While my initial entry into this discussion thread was sarcastic in nature, you can see it's not about self defense now. It's about going back up there with guns just to see how the manager reacts again.

Sheriff

so now (Sheriff's) taking aim at me in not so subtle ways (Take a look at his new signature:lol:).
-------------------------------------------------------
my "Big Gun" compensates for other things!

Are you really that paranoid or what?

How on God's Green Earth is my new signature directed at you?

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
This is the trouble with most open carry events, it's not about having the right do so, it's about seeing the resulting riots that take place.
This sounds like you've jumped the shark, Sheriff.

How many Virginia open carry events (meals, picnics, Govt meeting, etc) have you attended?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
This sounds like you've jumped the shark, Sheriff.

How many Virginia open carry events (meals, picnics, Govt meeting, etc) have you attended?

Go look at http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/member.php?57337-Badger-Johnson and tell me the similarities are not overwhelming.

We obviously went to different schools then. Because where I was educated the term "testing the waters" (above) is just another way of saying "see what kind of reaction it incites". While my initial entry into this discussion thread was sarcastic in nature, you can see it's not about self defense now. It's about going back up there with guns just to see how the manager reacts again.

In that case everything we (you, me, the guy down the street) does is done with the intent of "seeing what kind of reaction it incites". And BTW, you deserve an award of some sort for picking the word "incite" out of the Thesaurus as opposed to any of the others you could have selected. Nice way to add some emotional spin to the issue.

However, I'll submit a plea of "Guilty" to what you are suggesting - I do go out OCing with the desire, among all other things, to see what if any reaction people may have to seeing me OCing. It's a great way to guage just how far the "campaign" of creating acceptance has progressed. I also admit to returning to places where I had previously encountered less than open-armed acceptance and welcome, for the specific purpose of seeing if whatever education I might have been able to do had a lasting impact.

I do not go out intending, or even merely hoping, to see horses faint and women stampede at the mere sight of my holstered sidearm. But one of the goals I have always set is to demonstrate that the presence of a safely, securely holsterd sidearm is no more cause for concern than a baby in a stroller - and in some cases is less alarming, less upsetting, and less intrusive. But if that is "inciting" I will plead guilty.

stay safe.