• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My town still has no firearms posted in parks and building

Springfield 40

My town i live in florida still has no firearms signs posted in parks and buildings . who do i talk to about getting them removed i talked to the towns Rep. and they said they are not going to remove them. I am going to my lawer and talk to him if they don't remove them i will sue.Thanks

Last edited:

ADulay

My town i live in florida still has no firearms signs posted in parks and buildings . who do i talk to about getting them removed i talked to the towns Rep. and they said they are not going to remove them. I am going to my lawer and talk to him if they don't remove them i will sue.Thanks
Take a picture of the sign. Email it to Rich or Sean on the FloridaCarry.org site.

They will follow it up from there and they are VERY good at this.

AD (not sure if Rich wants his email posted here)

j4l

Public, county/town buildings? or private biz buildings?
Need to establish that 1st,no?

Rich7553

I would strongly suggest that unless your lawyer is a firearms lawyer, you join Florida Carry and permit us to sue as co-plaintiff using our legal staff, who are firearms law experts. Feel free to contact me at rich@floridacarry.org.

syn-ack

Wrong me if I am correct, but just because a business posts a sign saying no firearms, doesn't mean you can't legally carry into their building. There is no criminal offense that would have taken place, but the owner is free to ask you to leave, or have you tresspassed should he/she find out you are carrying... But as far as a criminal offense, nothing...

If I am mistaken, please point me to the statute... It has been a couple years since I have read 790 in its entirety.

Last edited:

rvrctyrngr

Wrong me if I am correct, but just because a business posts a sign saying no firearms, doesn't mean you can't legally carry into their building. There is no criminal offense that would have taken place, but the owner is free to ask you to leave, or have you tresspassed should he/she find out you are carrying... But as far as a criminal offense, nothing...

If I am mistaken, please point me to the statute... It has been a couple years since I have read 790 in its entirety.

You are correct about private businesses.

The OP is referring to city-owned property and parks. Different animal.

syn-ack

Thanks for the clarification, now for a follow-up...

Again, I probably need to go through and read 790 again, but are we now allowed to carry in state parks? I believe previously that was not allowed.

Curious, is there a summary listing of what has changed over the past few years that you could reference?

rvrctyrngr

Thanks for the clarification, now for a follow-up...

Again, I probably need to go through and read 790 again, but are we now allowed to carry in state parks? I believe previously that was not allowed.

Curious, is there a summary listing of what has changed over the past few years that you could reference?

Yes, you can carry in state/national parks (except the Savannas Preserve State Park).

There is no on-line summary of which I'm aware. Anything specific you'd like to know?

syn-ack

Yes, you can carry in state/national parks (except the Savannas Preserve State Park).

There is no on-line summary of which I'm aware. Anything specific you'd like to know?

Well, that is great news!

Nothing in particular, I used to know 790 frontwards and backwards, inside and out... I could damn near quote any particular piece. I just need to get refreshed on what has been ammended since, oh... about 15 yars ago when I first started my concealed carry. I know there was HB45 and SB234 in the past couple years, and I have skimmed over them, but have not put too much attention into what they have changed. Appears we can no longer carry in airports now either, where before you just couldn't go into the sterile area.

It also seems, via SB234, that we can carry anywhere inside our vehicles, concealed or not, and it is legal... as long as you have a concealed weapons license. Whereas before, it had to be concealed even inside the vehicle.

Last edited:

rvrctyrngr

Well, that is great news!

Nothing in particular, I used to know 790 frontwards and backwards, inside and out... I could damn near quote any particular piece. I just need to get refreshed on what has been ammended since, oh... about 15 yars ago when I first started my concealed carry. I know there was HB45 and SB234 in the past couple years, and I have skimmed over them, but have not put too much attention into what they have changed. Appears we can no longer carry in airports now either, where before you just couldn't go into the sterile area.

It also seems, via SB234, that we can carry anywhere inside our vehicles, concealed or not, and it is legal... as long as you have a concealed weapons license. Whereas before, it had to be concealed even inside the vehicle.

The laws for car carry have not changed. It still needs to be concealed, licensed or not. SB234 had nothing to do with that. All that SB234 did was add some confusing language to 790.053-Open carry prohibition.

The prohibition on passenger terminal carry changed circa 1996.

syn-ack

I dunno, the below section was an addition via SB234, for those who hold a concealed carry permit:

(b) A person licensed under this section shall not be prohibited from carrying or storing a firearm in a vehicle for lawful purposes.

Previous to that, if we were to carry in a vehicle we had to have it concealed from view, and/or securely encased like anyone else... Whereas now, anywhere within the interior of the vehicle is permissable, whether considerably hidden from plain view or not... Basically, anywhere inside the vehicle is considered concealed.

:question:

rvrctyrngr

I dunno, the below section was an addition via SB234, for those who hold a concealed carry permit:

Previous to that, if we were to carry in a vehicle we had to have it concealed from view, and/or securely encased like anyone else... Whereas now, anywhere within the interior of the vehicle is permissable, whether considerably hidden from plain view or not... Basically, anywhere inside the vehicle is considered concealed.

:question:

Nah. That doesn't change anything. The passage you quoted was intended to be an addition to the parking lot law.

You could argue that inside the vehicle is considered 'out of the ordinary sight of another', but I doubt you'd convince Officer Friendly of that.

All having a CWFL does for you in this instance is to allow you to have the firearm concealed on your person and not 'securely encased'.