Thread: State Ferries?

State Ferries?

Sign on state ferry in Ketchikan:

Walk-on passengers must transport unloaded firearms in a case.

Is this enforceable?

I know in Washington the signs say no illegal firearms. Washington has a preemption statute, does Alaska? Wait, just keep it loaded duh. Only unloaded guns need to be in cases lol.
    Last edited by Greg30-06; 06-22-2012 at 03:55 PM.

I'm interested to see the answer. I wasn't sure how it worked myself on the ferry given that it goes through Canadian waters.

Quote Originally Posted by armaborealis View Post
    I'm interested to see the answer. I wasn't sure how it worked myself on the ferry given that it goes through Canadian waters.
    No passport needed right?
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    No passport needed right?
    No... There's no port calls.

Quote Originally Posted by armaborealis View Post
    No... There's no port calls.
    Then the Canada issue should be a non-issue.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

State Ferries?

Did anyone find an answer to whether or not you can carry firearms on an AK State Ferry? Openly or concealed? My family and I are hopefully moving to KTN from SW Washington by the middle of June and we will be riding the ferry up. I have a WA CPL so concealing would not be a problem if needed. Just wondering what the legality of carrying on the ferry is. Can't wait to get to Alaska!

According to Alaska DOT/Marine Highway System:

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/policies.shtml

ID requirements

After June 1, 2009 all U.S. citizens travelling through Canada will be required to show their passport. Driver's licenses or birth certificates alone may no longer be accepted as proof of citizenship. Traveling onboard an AMHS vessel between Bellingham, Washington and Ketchikan, Alaska these rules and restrictions do not apply, although the vessel travels through Canadian waters.

Transporting Firearms

Walk-on passengers traveling with legal firearms or weapons on AMHS vessels are required to check these items with an AMHS employee. All firearms must be unloaded and ammunition stowed separately from the firearms. Unloaded firearms may be securely locked in passengers' vehicles. Please note that new laws regulating the import, export, and possession of firearms have been implemented in Canada and the U.S. Please check with Canadian or U.S. customs offices prior to transporting a firearm into these countries. You can get more information on the Internet at Canada Border Services Agency, the Canadian Firearms Centre, and for U.S. regulations at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms site.

Alaska Marine Highway System
    7559 North Tongass Highway
    Ketchikan, Alaska 99901-9101
    Tel: 907-465-3941 || Fax: 907-465-8824
    Toll-Free: 1-800-642-0066
    America, where freedom* reigns.

*Freedom subject to change depending on jurisdiction and availability. Some freedoms may not be available due to local political expedience or prevailing political correctness. Please check Federal, State, County, City, or any other special district for applicable laws governing the extents of freedoms prior to purchase.

-----------

“What you see is the fringe of the fringe showing up in Hartford today." - Danny Malloy a.k.a. "The Governor" 3/11/2013

What does Alaska state law say about it?

Thumbs up

http://www.pinkpistols.org/?q=node/4

Oops wrong Ferries! Where's Big Gay Al when you need him? Carry on, Openly & proud!

On topic hope the transport issues are worked out.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    Then the Canada issue should be a non-issue.
    Not exactly. If the ferry suffers problems and has to dock in Canada that could become an issue, or if the ferry suffers problems requiring an emergency rescue by Canadian authorities your have to optio of ditching your gun in the drink or being jacked up if caught with it when ported in Canada..... Or if the Canadian authorities decide to board the ferry and search passengers that can also become an issue quickly.......

Also there's nothing in Alaska law restricting this that I can see...
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Not exactly. If the ferry suffers problems and has to dock in Canada that could become an issue...
    An issue for who .. Canada ... it just got invaded ! lol

And they are unarmed ! One guy conquers Canada would be the byline

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    An issue for who .. Canada ... it just got invaded ! lol

And they are unarmed ! One guy conquers Canada would be the byline
    BRING BACK ALL THE PIGS IN A BLANKET TREATS!!! You can't find them in the stores in America ANYWHERE!!!