• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State Ferries?

Greg30-06

I know in Washington the signs say no illegal firearms. Washington has a preemption statute, does Alaska? Wait, just keep it loaded duh. Only unloaded guns need to be in cases lol.

Last edited:

armaborealis

I'm interested to see the answer. I wasn't sure how it worked myself on the ferry given that it goes through Canadian waters.

Fibresteve

Did anyone find an answer to whether or not you can carry firearms on an AK State Ferry? Openly or concealed? My family and I are hopefully moving to KTN from SW Washington by the middle of June and we will be riding the ferry up. I have a WA CPL so concealing would not be a problem if needed. Just wondering what the legality of carrying on the ferry is. Can't wait to get to Alaska!

Freiheit417

According to Alaska DOT/Marine Highway System:

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/policies.shtml

ID requirements

After June 1, 2009 all U.S. citizens travelling through Canada will be required to show their passport. Driver's licenses or birth certificates alone may no longer be accepted as proof of citizenship. Traveling onboard an AMHS vessel between Bellingham, Washington and Ketchikan, Alaska these rules and restrictions do not apply, although the vessel travels through Canadian waters.

Transporting Firearms

Walk-on passengers traveling with legal firearms or weapons on AMHS vessels are required to check these items with an AMHS employee. All firearms must be unloaded and ammunition stowed separately from the firearms. Unloaded firearms may be securely locked in passengers' vehicles. Please note that new laws regulating the import, export, and possession of firearms have been implemented in Canada and the U.S. Please check with Canadian or U.S. customs offices prior to transporting a firearm into these countries. You can get more information on the Internet at Canada Border Services Agency, the Canadian Firearms Centre, and for U.S. regulations at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms site.

Alaska Marine Highway System
7559 North Tongass Highway
Ketchikan, Alaska 99901-9101
Tel: 907-465-3941 || Fax: 907-465-8824
Toll-Free: 1-800-642-0066

EMNofSeattle

Then the Canada issue should be a non-issue.

Not exactly. If the ferry suffers problems and has to dock in Canada that could become an issue, or if the ferry suffers problems requiring an emergency rescue by Canadian authorities your have to optio of ditching your gun in the drink or being jacked up if caught with it when ported in Canada..... Or if the Canadian authorities decide to board the ferry and search passengers that can also become an issue quickly.......

Also there's nothing in Alaska law restricting this that I can see...