• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Waterford PD Still Confused About transport

HKcarrier

I heard (from the same source) the MSP was the ones doing the stop. The guy blew .07 and then consented to a search.

Ok sir, well you're free to go... oh, btw, mind if we just take a peek in the truck.... *SMH

stainless1911

Banned
Just had a talk with the Barry County Sheriff. Seems the County prosecutor is trying to prosecute (already charged the guy) for unlawful transport. That is he had a lawfully stored handgun in his car, but wasn't going to a range.

I explained to the sheriff that that law was changed and all lawful purposes are allowed. And the legislature is in fact trying to clarify that in a house bill. Sent him all the info I could.

So charges have and can be made. It has already cost this guy money and anxiety just because he let the LEO search his trunk. He did indeed talk too much as well.

BTW the Sheriff is pissed at this as he is a Constitutional guy and would never have his deputies enforce this anyway. He believes the law should be enforced only IF the firearm is used in a crime.

So Neil, as you know it can happen. Just stay on the down low for the next 8 years.

Is this another case where they are trying to ban OC from the bench? If so, I think it deserves a thread, or more.

wont make it 8 days.

What is most interesting to me, is that again, I wasn't breaking the law, but the .gov isn't understanding it either. Yet nothing is done, but to come after me here.

Many of you would have thought I deserved it, some would have rejoiced, and the rest that talk about injustice and "shall not be infringed" all the time, would have missed the point.

griffin

the Sheriff is pissed at this as he is a Constitutional guy and would never have his deputies enforce this anyway.
Yet...
the County prosecutor is trying to prosecute (already charged the guy) for unlawful transport.
The prosecutor wouldn't have anything to prosecute if the sheriff's deputies hadn't arrested the guy. As you say, he had a lawfully stored handgun in his car.

So why exactly is the sheriff angry? Because his guys don't know the law? Because they do but don't care? Because they shouldn't have pursued a search in the first place?

So what does the sheriff do to his deputies when they arrest someone or cite someone for something that is not a crime? What are the penalties for the deputies?

Last edited:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Yet...
The prosecutor wouldn't have anything to prosecute if the sheriff's deputies hadn't arrested the guy. As you say, he had a lawfully stored handgun in his car.

So why exactly is the sheriff angry? Because his guys don't know the law? Because they do but don't care? Because they shouldn't have pursued a search in the first place?

So what does the sheriff do to his deputies when they arrest someone or cite someone for something that is not a crime? What are the penalties for the deputies?

Easy boy. Read the post. I never said deputies arrested, it was in fact the MSP even despite their many legal updates.

stainless1911

Banned
Just had a talk with the Barry County Sheriff. Seems the County prosecutor is trying to prosecute (already charged the guy) for unlawful transport. That is he had a lawfully stored handgun in his car, but wasn't going to a range.

I explained to the sheriff that that law was changed and all lawful purposes are allowed. And the legislature is in fact trying to clarify that in a house bill. Sent him all the info I could.

Yance and I have been working on changes that would prevent this kind of thing altogether, I'll PM you the idea. We have presented our position in person, to my Rep, Eileen Kowall who said she would introduce a bill this September after the summer break. I have also contacted Representative Opsommer, and asked him to join Eileen in this effort. Yance has been working with people on his end of things as well, and so far things are looking good.

If you would please contact Eileen, and Representative Opsommer, telling them what you posted, that real people are facing real charges, and you would like this stopped, it would help make an argument to help change the laws.

We have proposed changes to either 227, 231a, or both.