• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

38 cal ammo question

NAVYBLUE

Have a S&W Model 442 38Spl +P with aluminum alloy frame and carbon steel cylinder. Up to now have used Remington 130g for practice. I need suggestions for the best +P DEFENSIVE ammo to use and where is the best place to pick it up. Thanks in advance for your help

NAVYBLUE

PS: Have been practicing with 130g for about a year.

The Big Guy

Have a S&W Model 442 38Spl +P with aluminum alloy frame and carbon steel cylinder. Up to now have used Remington 130g for practice. I need suggestions for the best +P DEFENSIVE ammo to use and where is the best place to pick it up. Thanks in advance for your help

NAVYBLUE

PS: Have been practicing with 130g for about a year.

Many people will tell you to use a smaller 125 grn bullet, moving as fast as possible. I prefer heavier 158 grn moving as fast as possible. In either case I use a semi jacketed hollow point. I like the heavier bullet as most defensive shooting is at close ranges and I want to hit as hard as possible.

As I reload I'm not familiar with all the choices out there but I would look for a 158 grn +P load using a semi or jacketed hollow point. I don't think you will go wrong. Be aware however that the muzzle flash will be pronounced and the kick much harder. For the sake of your firearm, use lighter loads for general practice, and only use the defensive loads on occasion to get the feel of them.

TBG

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Look into Gold Dot hollow points. If I recall, Speer loads them specifically to get more velocity out of a short barrel. Or, maybe they make a load just for short barreled revolvers, I forget.

Also, Corbon's DPX ammo had good reviews a few years ago when it came out. They use Barnes' solid copper bullets with deep hollow points.

NAVYBLUE

Thanks for all the replies. I am leaning towards +P 158 gr. I am though going to buy 50 rounds of 130s range, 140's range and 150s range P+ and run each 50 round box on (3) separate occasions so as not to stress the S&W frame/cylinder so as to get a "feel" for the flash and kick. Going to do shooting 1/2 hour before to 1/2 hour after twilight to get a sense of the flash. For those who have never fired a "snub nose" (mine is 1.875"/Model 442/J Frame) I'm done after 100 rounds of 130 gr standard 38 cal practice ammo. It does have a kick to it and I am small build @ 160 lbs.

I am going to do some research though on defensivecarry.com to get an idea of what the testing says about penetration and expansion. Looking for a compromise on both. Want to be able to penetrate to vital organs but also expand when hitting bone.

Thanks agains for the replies.

NAVYBLUE

WalkingWolf

Thanks for all the replies. I am leaning towards +P 158 gr. I am though going to buy 50 rounds of 130s range, 140's range and 150s range P+ and run each 50 round box on (3) separate occasions so as not to stress the S&W frame/cylinder so as to get a "feel" for the flash and kick. Going to do shooting 1/2 hour before to 1/2 hour after twilight to get a sense of the flash. For those who have never fired a "snub nose" (mine is 1.875"/Model 442/J Frame) I'm done after 100 rounds of 130 gr standard 38 cal practice ammo. It does have a kick to it and I am small build @ 160 lbs.

I am going to do some research though on defensivecarry.com to get an idea of what the testing says about penetration and expansion. Looking for a compromise on both. Want to be able to penetrate to vital organs but also expand when hitting bone.

Thanks agains for the replies.

NAVYBLUE

I carry a Navy cartridge conversion. The load is a 38 spl case loaded to the top with ffffg black powder and topped with a 158 grain pure lead bullet, compressed and then seated. Good penetration, good expansion, and one hell of a muzzle blast. I also carry the load in my j frame so as not to mix up ammo. Anybody or anything close will get set on fire. I have not chronographed the load out of the j frame but it easily penetrates one inch pine boards, and will punch through a large phone. Any firearm using dark stuff will need a thorough cleaning.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I carry a Navy cartridge conversion. The load is a 38 spl case loaded to the top with ffffg black powder and topped with a 158 grain pure lead bullet, compressed and then seated. Good penetration, good expansion, and one hell of a muzzle blast. I also carry the load in my j frame so as not to mix up ammo. Anybody or anything close will get set on fire. I have not chronographed the load out of the j frame but it easily penetrates one inch pine boards, and will punch through a large phone. Any firearm using dark stuff will need a thorough cleaning.

LOL! Handgun, flamethrower, and personal smokescreen generator--all in one package. I love it! :D

Last edited:

RichB71

LCR 38sp+p

I carry a an Ruger LCR revolver concealed. I like the 158 gr. hollow points for a harder hit. I hope I never have to use but I do feel better carrying it. I'm new to this forum and respect what you folks are doing. I'm 71 yrs old and a revolver lover Rugers all the way.

Rich

The Big Guy

I carry a an Ruger LCR revolver concealed. I like the 158 gr. hollow points for a harder hit. I hope I never have to use but I do feel better carrying it. I'm new to this forum and respect what you folks are doing. I'm 71 yrs old and a revolver lover Rugers all the way.

Rich

Welcome to the forum. My wife also carries the LCR, OC. It is a wonderful little gun. Extremely light and easy to carry. Handles great. It will take the big punchers but would be extremely uncomfortable to shoot full loads at targets. Using the +P 158's is not a problem for defense because the adrenalin is flowing and you're not thinking about the kick and blast. Even though I carry a .357 snubbie (by the way Ruger has the LCR in .357 now I understand), with 180 grn partitions with a full load of blue dot, I would not feel under gunned carrying the LCR .38 with the big loads as most fights are at close range and it has plenty of stopping power up close and personal. My opinion is you've made a good choice. I'm a wheel gunner myself.

TBG