• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to get a FL (CCW?) for MI Resident?

notalawyer

FEES: The total fee for the Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearm License is $117.00

Hopefully you also requested a fingerprint card.

Oh, and because words (and abbreviations) mean something, CCW would denote the crime of Carrying a Concealed Weapon.
In Florida, our license is a Concealed Weapon or Firearm License (CWFL).

Last edited:

Rich7553

Stainless, bear in mind that the fee is going down, although I'm not sure when. The legislature passed a bill which lowered the maximum the state can charge.

Ironside

Stainless,

Given all the strange and bizarre situations you have gortten yourself into, why do you want a Florida non-resident license?

I don't think it will help Florida's image if you do.

TheShadow

Stainless,

Given all the strange and bizarre situations you have gortten yourself into, why do you want a Florida non-resident license?

I lurk around the MI forum, and while it does seem he gets into jams it does not always seem to be entirely his fault. I think his biggest crime is having a small wallet and HUGE BALLS. He lives in a better off area and is clearly not of means. I think this makes him a target at times too. Just saying... a dude dressed nice in a .. high end SUV doing what he does..cops in his area probably wouldn't even blink? :confused:

stainless1911

Banned
Stainless,

Because of an interesting quirk in Michigan law. The wording of our CC laws would not allow me to CC with the FL permit, but it would however, allow me to OC in places that would otherwise be firearm free zones. Linked below.

I lurk around the MI forum, and while it does seem he gets into jams it does not always seem to be entirely his fault. I think his biggest crime is having a small wallet and HUGE BALLS. He lives in a better off area and is clearly not of means. I think this makes him a target at times too. Just saying... a dude dressed nice in a .. high end SUV doing what he does..cops in his area probably wouldn't even blink? :confused:

spot-on, and thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(gu...g.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-750-234d

notalawyer

Because of an interesting quirk in Michigan law. The wording of our CC laws would not allow me to CC with the FL permit, but it would however, allow me to OC in places that would otherwise be firearm free zones. Linked below.

spot-on, and thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(gu...g.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-750-234d

This?

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

[list of places]

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
. . .
(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

Where does it say anything about carrying a firearm openly or concealed? It says "a person shall not possess a firearm"

stainless1911

Banned
Yes.

There are several laws in Michigan in regards to carry. It can get complex.

The laws that deal with CC prohibit you from carrying concealed on certain premisis. They also say that you have to be a resident to CC. Then there is the link, that law prohibits firearms on certain premises, but does not specify that the firearm has to be concealed. It does however, say that you have to have a CC permit. It does not specify if you must be a resident, only that you need a permit.

Since I can't CC in MI without a FL CPL because I am not a FL resident, and I would have to get a MI CPL to CC here, but am ineligable, then I can OC in the places listed in 234d as long as I have a CPL, regardless of the state that issued it.

One of the biggest problems with 234d (the link), is that you cannot carry a firearm on the premises of any place that has a liquor license of any kind. That includes many gas stations, the corner store, grocery stores and so on. I could go into a gas station and find myself on a 90 day misdemeanor, just because they have a license to sell alcohol, whether or not they even have any alcohol for sale.

Its F ed up that you cant OC in FL, but it isnt half as F ed up as MI firearms law.

Last edited:

notalawyer

Yes.

There are several laws in Michigan in regards to carry. It can get complex.

The laws that deal with CC prohibit you from carrying concealed on certain premisis. They also say that you have to be a resident to CC. Then there is the link, that law prohibits firearms on certain premises, but does not specify that the firearm has to be concealed. It does however, say that you have to have a CC permit. It does not specify if you must be a resident, only that you need a permit.

Since I can't CC in MI without a FL CPL because I am not a FL resident, and I would have to get a MI CPL to CC here, but am ineligable, then I can OC in the places listed in 234d as long as I have a CPL, regardless of the state that issued it.

One of the biggest problems with 234d (the link), is that you cannot carry a firearm on the premises of any place that has a liquor license of any kind. That includes many gas stations, the corner store, grocery stores and so on. I could go into a gas station and find myself on a 90 day misdemeanor, just because they have a license to sell alcohol, whether or not they even have any alcohol for sale.

Its F ed up that you cant OC in FL, but it isnt half as F ed up as MI firearms law.

OK, yeah that is a little messed up......

Are there any court cases that support the interpretation that Open Carry is OK in these PFZs with an out-of-state non-resident license/permit?

Also does your ineligibility in MI prevent you from obtaining a CWFL in Florida?

Last edited:

notalawyer

Not that I am aware of, but people carry in those places every day with very few problems. When I had a CPL, I did almost every day for years. A plain reading of the law shows that one can carry under license.

but people carry in those places every day with very few problems.
How many on out-of-state non-resident permits?

A plain reading of the law shows that one can carry under license.
Big problem there is that lawyers and judges have a very, very hard time with plain reading. :lol:

Also I added a question while you were responding.
Also does your ineligibility in MI prevent you from obtaining a CWFL in Florida?

stainless1911

Banned
How many on out-of-state non-resident permits?

Big problem there is that lawyers and judges have a very, very hard time with plain reading. :lol:

Also I added a question while you were responding.

No problems that I am aware of. I've been on the boards every day for a couple years and I haven't heard of anyone out of state having a problem.

Right, lawyers cops, and judges can't seem to read. They can't remember their oaths either.

Ironside

Stainless,

In lieu of this flailing around looking for answers why don't you read the Michigan State Police Legal Update 86 which is the best piece of firearm law interpretation to ever come out in Michigan?