• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone ever feel like this?

fire suppressor

I have been open carrying now for going on the years and in all that time I have never had a true negative encounter. And yet throughout the year I will go through fazes of feeling afraid to open carry. I am not sure why but there are some months I feel more comfortable than others. Latley I have been going through another period of feeling scared to open carry. I can not explain this momentary laps I have not had any encounter to explain this behavior I was wondering of anyone ells goes through highs and lows while I open carrying

Batousaii

I myself have days where I don't care to deal with sheeple and will CC, but I don't think being "afraid" would describe my emotions, at least not anymore. When i first started to OC, i had some fears to digest, but now that I been doing it for a few years, and have survived a few odd encounters (including Seattle PD) without any problems, I'm not really afraid to OC. I will admit the when I am OC and have to go to some sort of official place, i am a little apprehensive, but I have thus far OC's to the sheriffs office to renew my permit, to our local Port Orchard court house and checked my gun at the door, and to the DOL too. I OC or CC mostly depending on weather, my guns don't like water, but yes... i have my days... where i just don't care to be noticed :p

Jeff Hayes

Other than at the very first I have never been afraid to OC. At first I was more apprehensive than scared. What I have found is the more I OC, going on 3 years now, the less I seem to care if it shows or not. I am to the point now that I just do not pay any attention to it. I think I am OCing less than I used to simply because I used to make sure it showed. Now I just do not care if it shows or not. I have become very indifferent, maybe its because the new has worn off or maybe I have just reached the point where I am so comfortable with OC that its just not a big deal.

Anyway I would go with my gut if it does not feel good don't do it. There have been plenty of times over the last few years that I just felt like CCing and I did. I also think its normal to go through ups and downs with anything you do marriage, work, hobbies, KIDS etc.

decklin

I was nervous when I first started OC'ing. It doesn't happen any more, though I am more aware of shootings in the area and prepare myself for negative contact with a fearful citizen whom is unaware of the law.
One interesting thing is that when I do CC I'm obsessive with ensuring my firearm is always concealed. If my shirt or jacket opens to reveal my firearm I will immediately cover it and then re-scan the area to see who might have noticed and could be a problem. No idea why I do this especially since I know OC is legal. I think it's some remnant of my indoctrination of OC is bad.

skiingislife725

I do go through the feeling of up's and down's as well, although I am solidified in always OCing if it's practical (like if I'm not in a downpour or I have to wear my down jacket, etc). I think part of the problem comes when I start to focus on other interests and I forget why I'm OCing in the first place. That's when I start thinking about what others think, like why do I need to OC in Lake Stevens in the middle of the day? It's not like I'm out at night in downtown Seattle and have a higher probability of needing it. And while some people get used to you and begin to understand why you do what you do, there are countless others that you come across everyday and the process has to start all over again.

But the feeling usually only lasts for a bit. And it's usually when I first get somewhere after leaving the house. After that, I kind of automatically get reminded that I'm responsible for myself, that bad things happen everywhere and your gun is like a seatbelt. Or that we need to normalize the idea of gun owners being everyday citizens, much like gays had to do in recent history. And then, my favorite, it's like waving a big middle finger to those who mean me harm...from the common criminal to genocidal governments...and to the sheeple status quo. It's a good wakeup call to reality, reminding them that we don't live in the utopia they want so desperately to believe.

WOD

I wake up, I put on my pants, and put on my holstered handgun. That's my routine now, and I only started carrying this year. If I don't feel like putting on pants, I place my handgun in my shoulder holster (sweats don't hold holsters well!) and carry that way. Yard work, grocery store, going up to the corner store to grab some SoBe drinks, sitting here typing this, I'm wearing my handgun.

I live in RFD, and sometimes I feel silly carrying here, but, then there's that one news story where something bad happens in RFD, when a weapon was needed. Sometimes it works out, and nobody dies, sometimes it doesn't go well, do I want to take that chance?

Lewis County isn't that far removed from the real world, that I can get complacent. Meth labs, meth heads, who knows what else, they are here and they aren't the kind of folks I'd hang with. Much less wanting them helping themselves to my property. I don't like tweakers...

So good, so far, so what? I never was the kind to worry much about what strangers think, why start now? I do what I need to do to protect myself, and my own... and if need be, someone else who may need help one day.

Years ago, when I was still in Cleveland, I carried two guns (not very legally, or properly) and there was one time when I thought I may have to use them to defend someone else. Circumstances then and now had a direct relationship to why I carried. I changed my life and some of the threats are greatly diminished, only because I choose not to place myself in those situations. Sometimes though, those circumstances and situations happen, and we may find ourselves ensnared within them, I'd rather be caught armed.. than unarmed. Regardless of how silly or dumb I might feel at any given moment, carrying in RFD.

Metalhead47

Can't say I do, and I've been OCing for about the same time frame as you. For me, carrying at all is a bit of a treat, I only "get" to OC on the weekends or the odd hookie day from work, so I generally look forward to it. By now I'm completely comfortable, and have had only one really negative experience a moronic local anti. There are some specific places/circumstances where I may feel uncomfortable, but I tend to avoid those in the first place. Usually I only go out of my way to conceal if a known anti-defense place (mall, movie theater, etc), some place special for my wife where I don't want to risk an "issue" (real or imagined), or, like today, when I look like ****. :(

fire suppressor

I think the problem is I am the one in my family or friends who open carrys, everyone ells I know is either a anti or does not believe in it. I know there are others in my area who open carry but I rarely see them. Sometimes I feel like I am all alone on a OC island. I am going to have to make it out to a few more gatherings

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I know there are others in my area who open carry but I rarely see them. Sometimes I feel like I am all alone on a OC island. I am going to have to make it out to a few more gatherings

I guess it is time to vote you off the island. Come on up to B'ham for the regular Sunday morning choir practice. Starbucks on bakerview, 10:00. No one should have to drink coffee armed and alone.

acmariner99

I OCed in Arizona everywhere all the time. I was actually worried about carrying concealed at first since a XD is not the easiest firearm in the world to conceal. Since I haven't gotten my webbed feet back since arriving in WA, I have been carrying concealed more often than open due to being covered by jackets or sweatshirts. Sometimes I get nervous or apprehensive in a large group, so I just cover (I don't like crowds regardless of whether I am carrying or not). OC - and carry in general is now just like putting on a belt, the more you do it, the more comfortable you get. Act like its normal and people will treat you normally.

DeltaOps

I live in Pierce County, Bonney Lake area. I OC just about everywhere I go. I know a lot of people who CC, but have not seen anyone OC. Matter of fact, the only ones I have seen OCin are the ones who work in gun shops I walk into. I know they are out there, but seeing one is like seeing bigfoot. :)

Some people do not lilke to OC and I get that, but if everyone OC'ed, eventually the public will get used to it again. Maybe some people hide it cause they do not like to be confronted or do not want to put up with it. I don't really know. I really have not had much of an issue. Never had a individual come up to me and give me a hard time, just a couple encounters from store employees or managers who did not know the law.

OCin is not taboo no should it ever be. Educate the ones who do not know, invite them to go shooting with you. I believe that if most people actually knew the truth, they may change some thinking. Some people do know really actually know, only except what they hear or are taught.

I am new to OCng, but not knew to guns or gun safety. Help educate when we can, and lets do it in a respectful fashion. OC on and keep sending the correct message.

LkWd_Don

Living in a fairly densely populated area of Pierce County, I generally OC from the time I put pants on till I take them off at night and if I am not ready for bed when I get comfortable for the evening, my pistol is generally within reach. My wife and my daughter have thanked me and commented a few times that they feel secure knowing that I am ready to protect us if needed.

Being that I am a bigger guy with a burley look to me (not tall mind you) I get strange looks when out and about, but when I have either or both of the women with me, those looks seldom seem concerned. I have been questioned a few times by some if I was "a gun nut/fanatic" or a Cop or "what kind of gun is that". To the first/Second I normally respond politely, no.. just a citizen who believes in being prepared. And to the later, I generally tell them what I am carrying.

About a week ago, the three of us were at a party being held at Fort Steilacoom Park in Lakewood by a few of her friends. One youngster came up asking a lot of questions like: what are you carrying, why do you carry, is it legal to carry.. many along that line. As I answered the questions, I could tell that others in the area were listening as I explaining what I had, that in Washington State as long as you are not prohibited from Carrying, it is legal to OC and I could tell that the mood of those around me seemed less apprehensive and more relaxed. After that group left and another took their place at that table, I noticed the apprehensive looks in my direction again.

Even with being there over three hours and all the looks I was getting, no one called the Police to make a MWAG report.

One step at a time.

amlevin

I think the problem is I am the one in my family or friends who open carrys, everyone ells I know is either a anti or does not believe in it. I know there are others in my area who open carry but I rarely see them. Sometimes I feel like I am all alone on a OC island. I am going to have to make it out to a few more gatherings

I've got a similar problem with family and some friends. Stopped worrying about their views on my choices years ago. Life became more calm and my stress levels went way down when I stopped letting everyone else dictate how I lived either through their complaints or innuendos. In short, it's my life and I get to go about it the way I want to. For those that don't like the way I carry, in Cher's memorable words at the at the 2002 Billboard Music Awards, "fuckem"

Last edited: