• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New ordinances for Las Vegas Parks coming soon

jdholmes

Heard them talking on the radio the other day about how they had new ordinances in the works for city parks and they were going to be scrapping the old ones completely.

Does that mean state preemption will come into play and any rules in regards to firearms will finally be unenforceable?

They did read the proposed wording and it sounded like they were using the standard "unless otherwise authorized" wording in regards to carry.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
So to whom do we send letters to remind them of State Preemption while writing the new rules? We are concerned citizens that want to make sure they stay out of creating legal troubles for themselves, after all.

The Big Guy

On the surface this sounds like great news. Should it take away their bogus "grandfather" defense, yes. The question is, will they care? Most likely not. Are they actually changing he code numbers? If so then it should be considered new law or so I would think. In my opinion it will likely boil down to someone getting arrested and getting a lawyer and fighting it through the courts. We shall see.

On one hand I have fingers crossed that NLV loses its charter to get rid of them, and now fingers on the other hand crossed for this.

TBG

After thought: I would not write them at all. You don't want them to not change it. Let them change it and then go from there.

Last edited:

jdholmes

The jargon across the radio indicated they were not amending existing code but doing away with it altogether and starting from scratch.

My feelings were similar to TBG in thinking, "let them go ahead and make the new law and hopefully make it easier for us to win should...or rather when...the issue presents itself"...

Merlin

OP,

Do you know when and what station you heard that on? I would like to hear it as well, maybe I can find a podcast.

Now that Bob Beers is on the city council, we have a strong preemption voice in the city. (He was a sponsor of it originally at the state level)

Now is a great chance to bring it to his attention. I have had email exchanges with him in the past, and he is quite responsive. This is a great opportunity to make sure it is just correct to begin with.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Merlin

He just joined the city council this year. He was a civilian last year iirc. He was ousted from state legislature in the midterms again, iirc.

Vegassteve

He just joined the city council this year. He was a civilian last year iirc. He was ousted from state legislature in the midterms again, iirc.

My error it asnt bob it was Tom Collins. Bob is a stand up guy. I have talked to him before. My mistake

jdholmes

I believe the station was 100.5...same station that plays Rush Limbaugh and does Dave Ramsay "Financial Peace University" in the afternoons.

i don't know what hours it is or if it is every week but this is the second time I have tuned in and they have been talking guns with a local lawyer involved in the convo. I had to leave before they got to state their opinion on the verbiage and open carry for the new ordinances should it go through. They had raised the question but I had to leave.

Last edited:

Merlin

I got a call from our illustrious City Councilman Bob Beers this morning. I had posted to his facebook in the last few days regarding the City Parks thing. He said that he hadn't heard anything about it, but that if it was a staff-initiated thing, he wouldn't have heard about it yet. He had me send him the relevant statutes so he would have them handy, and that he would check it out.

I told him that individuals from this forum had been dealing with various agencies one at a time to fix different places, and get them to come into compliance. I used TBG's letter writing campaign to City of Henderson as an example, and explained that it took a year to get it accomplished, which is just crazy. He agreed. He said he would check it out.

He's the guy that will get it corrected. He was an original primary sponsor of SB92, so he truly "gets it". I love this guy. :)

Merlin

I believe the station was 100.5...same station that plays Rush Limbaugh and does Dave Ramsay "Financial Peace University" in the afternoons.

i don't know what hours it is or if it is every week but this is the second time I have tuned in and they have been talking guns with a local lawyer involved in the convo. I had to leave before they got to state their opinion on the verbiage and open carry for the new ordinances should it go through. They had raised the question but I had to leave.

I am guessing it was the Kevin Wall show (M-F 3-6pm). I have gone through the archives there, and can't seem to locate it. I wish I could find this. They have all of the audio available for download, but I would have to know what day it was to have any chance in finding it.

The Big Guy

I am guessing it was the Kevin Wall show (M-F 3-6pm). I have gone through the archives there, and can't seem to locate it. I wish I could find this. They have all of the audio available for download, but I would have to know what day it was to have any chance in finding it.

Call the producer and ask what day it was.

TBG

Nevada carrier

This is one thing that we should not push to hard on... What I mean is, let them rewrite their laws, then they old "grandfather" defense vaporizes when they give it a new code number. If we get in their faces about it, they'll simply say to themselves "oh ****, we need to leave this code alone." let them screw themselves.

Merlin

I just got an email back from Bob Beers. He is on board, but suggests that now would be an excellent time for folks to call/write their city council people to bring this to their attention.

"I am only one vote, so folks need to start asking their council members to comply with state law."

I would suggest that the verbiage to your council person be brief, and state that you desire for the City of LV parks to come into compliance with State Law, specifically SB92 "State Preemption". Advise them that the city has been out of compliance since the law passed, and it is time to get it corrected. All it will take is to remove the "No Firearms" rule, and problem solved. Beers is not my councilman, so I will also be contacting mine, Lois Tarkanian. If we all get in their ears now, we should be able to knock this out.

Merlin

Something like this:

Councilwoman Tarkanian,
It has come to my attention that the City of LV Parks and Rec rules and regs are coming around for review. I was quite excited to hear this, as there is a glaring problem with the current rules & regs, and this is an excellent opportunity to correct that problem.

The problem is with the "No Firearms" policy that is posted at many, if not all of the CLV parks. This policy is not in compliance with state law, specifically:

State Preemption
NRS 244.364, NRS 268.418, and NRS 269.222 state that the legislature reserves to itself the right to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and that no county, city or town respectively may infringe upon these rights. These laws specifically allow localities to regulate the unsafe discharge of firearms, and they also allow Clark County to maintain handgun registration. However, one must be in Clark County for 60 days before registration is required. Also, per NRS 407.0475 the Nevada Division of State Parks may not enforce regulations more restrictive than the state law with regards to firearm possession and self-defense.

The state law has already invalidated the policy, so it is just a matter of removing it from the signage, and any written materials.

It is worth noting that this need not be an expensive correction. When the City of Henderson came into compliance last year, they just put white tape over the "No Firearms" part of their signage, and problem solved.

One can already possess their firearm in CLV parks legally. The signage as it stands means that anyone doing so is likely to get hassled by an uninformed Law Enforcement Officer, which is just bad for everyone involved.

I look forward to your response confirming your support of this change.

XXX

The Big Guy

I just got an email back from Bob Beers. He is on board, but suggests that now would be an excellent time for folks to call/write their city council people to bring this to their attention.

"I am only one vote, so folks need to start asking their council members to comply with state law."

I would suggest that the verbiage to your council person be brief, and state that you desire for the City of LV parks to come into compliance with State Law, specifically SB92 "State Preemption". Advise them that the city has been out of compliance since the law passed, and it is time to get it corrected. All it will take is to remove the "No Firearms" rule, and problem solved. Beers is not my councilman, so I will also be contacting mine, Lois Tarkanian. If we all get in their ears now, we should be able to knock this out.

I just want to add caution again. If it is true that they are going to "scrap" current law and re-write them, even if they add "no firearms" that would be great. Their position has been that current ordinances are grandfathered. By doing away with the old and bringing in the new, it would absolutely invalidate their stand. Until we are sure what they are intending, I suggest that you do nothing. You can be sure that the council is anti and you don't want to give them a heads up about what they are doing. Just my opinion.

TBG

jdholmes

Yep! +1

Let them make the new ordinances and then send that email out, I think it will be much more effectual to our cause. After it is done we will have a much stronger foot hold.

Merlin

But any attempt by anyone to say these things are grandfathered in can be met with an appropriate response by a co-author of the original preemption statutes. I hear what you are saying. But I think having Beers on the council can have some significant improvements in the councils interpretation of the statute. Note that he even worded it correctly.."ask your council members to comply with state law."

Sent from my SGH-i667 using Board Express

jdholmes

But any attempt by anyone to say these things are grandfathered in can be met with an appropriate response by a co-author of the original preemption statutes. I hear what you are saying. But I think having Beers on the council can have some significant improvements in the councils interpretation of the statute. Note that he even worded it correctly.."ask your council members to comply with state law."

His response was great, no denying that.

The Big Guy

Your possition might be right, but I strongly believe mine is. Unfortunately we will not know until the dust settles.

TBG