• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When we finally get OC...

Jack House

I'm not too terribly concerned about 30.06 signs. I'm more concerned about idiots, and mostly only at the bars. Places like Wal-Mart or HEB(supermarket) or that coffee place that everyone loves ain't really an issue.

hermannr

I have 5 "soccer mom" daughters...they all shoot with me...the one that lives in TX competes. Don't think she'll cause you any grief. Last time they were up to visit, went out to eat, strapped up before we left and her husband didn't say anything...he just smiled. He graduated from U of Oregon, he knows what OC is all about, but his heart is in TX.

29 states allow unlicensed OC, 14 states (counting OK) allow licensed OC.

We don't go to TX to visit often, once was enough..no OC and HOT and MUGGY, ugh...go from you air conditioned house to your air conditioned car, to the air conditioned shop, shopping center, church whereever...

SlowBox

I was born and raised in Texas and I was surprised to find out that it's not an OC state. Here in North Carolina, we have unregistered OC and I love it. I've had no issues, as being nonchalant and polite while carrying goes a long way. I'll be moving home within the week, and I'm excited about getting a CCL and being able to carry openly next year.

Last edited:

zekester

I just moved back to Texas after 20yrs away from my home state....I do love Texas, but very disappointed on the OC issue. Missouri has some screwed up restrictions on OC, but where I lived, I carried everyday without so much of anyone batting an eye. When Texas finally does get with the program, I will carry everyday, everywhere.

Last edited:

Jack House

Welcome home, Zekester! As you move in, I'm likely moving out. :cry:

As for OC in Texas, with any luck, we should be getting at least LOC in the next legislature. I wish that I could be around to help set the trend of OCing. But there's a good chance I wont be. I'll still make trips back during the weekends, though. Will probably make more trips when we get OC in any form. ;)

As for my previous statements of apprehension, I think I failed to fully explain that my concern was getting kicked out of/banned from my favorite hangouts where I know everyone all because some asswipe decided he wanted to stir some trouble and dragged me into it. Now that I have moved, that's no longer a concern. I don't have favored hangouts and I ain't got no friends. So I ain't got no attachments to no place.:p

rushcreek2

Forty + years as a Texan, and I still seem to be spending more time down there than in Colorado.

The Oklahoma victory for UNRESTRICTED licensed handgun carry will be a major topic in the coming legislative session in Austin.

The KEY WORD - is UNRESTRICTED.

Remove the existing RESTRICTION (46.035a/h). Don't complicate the matter, and move on.

The Texas legislative process is cumbersome enough without undertaking a comprensive overhaul of statutory codes - when simply repealing the CRIMINAL SANCTION (46.035a/h) against intentional failure to conceal by licensees will suffice. The Texas AG can tidy up any loose interpretations of additional statutory strings.

Small tippy-toe, quiet steps do not set off motion detectors as much as running broad-jumps.

Jack House

You're always welcome here + lots of friends :D
If I had my choice of states, Virginia is one of the places I'd seriously consider moving to. Though I'd be visiting DC a little too much, if only for the Smithsonian's Air and Space museum. :lol:

papa bear

I was born and raised in Texas and I was surprised to find out that it's not an OC state. Here in North Carolina, we have unregistered OC and I love it. I've had no issues, as being nonchalant and polite while carrying goes a long way. I'll be moving home within the week, and I'm excited about getting a CCL and being able to carry openly next year.

SLOWBOX sorry we will be losing you. be sure to go to soem of the meet and greets i your area

Yes, but "Texas is different", they insist, and "you just don't know how things work in Austin".

Hasn't happened elsewhere.

i do get a little frustrated when i hear someone spout the "well it works different here". politics works the sane all over the nation weather you are in Richmond, Austin, Sacramento, or Juneau. politics is politics and they all work the same

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If I had my choice of states, Virginia is one of the places I'd seriously consider moving to. Though I'd be visiting DC a little too much, if only for the Smithsonian's Air and Space museum. :lol:

This 8th wonder of the modern world is in Fairfax, Va.
Affectionados of flight can literally OD there
icon7.png

http://tinyurl.com/d5wvr8p

KBCraig

Remove the existing RESTRICTION (46.035a/h). Don't complicate the matter, and move on.

The Texas legislative process is cumbersome enough without undertaking a comprensive overhaul of statutory codes - when simply repealing the CRIMINAL SANCTION (46.035a/h) against intentional failure to conceal by licensees will suffice. The Texas AG can tidy up any loose interpretations of additional statutory strings.

Small tippy-toe, quiet steps do not set off motion detectors as much as running broad-jumps.

That has always been my suggestion, but then the insiders go ballistic because 30.06 wouldn't prima facie apply to open carry, then they insist if we allow any changes to 30.06, then next thing you know we'll be back to Class A misdemeanor charges for carrying and missing a tiny obscure gunbusters sticker.

I'm another one leaving soon. I'm not a Texan (for someone who grew up in Arkansas during the SWC days, that's just something that Is Not Done). But, I've been here 23 years, and it's time to move on.

I've already bought a house in New Hampshire and moved my family, now I'm just waiting for my job transfer to take place.

Jack House

So sad to see so many leaving, even if I myself am leaving soon. :(

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

KBCraig

When either Texas or Arkansas goes OC before the other, I'd been planning a demonstration of the idiocy while straddling the state line, open carrying with the gun in the legal state.

I won't be here for that, but hopefully someone else will pick up the idea.

Jack House

When either Texas or Arkansas goes OC before the other, I'd been planning a demonstration of the idiocy while straddling the state line, open carrying with the gun in the legal state.

Sounds dangerous, I wont go it alone. But I'd be tempted to go with other people if they were planning it. /coward :lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

That would make a great picture - straddling the dividing line between 2 states w/strong side in the OC legal state.:D

Ravendove

Agreed, although I'd just like to go on the record as saying I'd like to repeal a, b2, b3, b4, b5, b6, c, and h. I know that would be too much for one session. I'm just saying that would make me a happy guy.

Last edited:

Prophet

If Texas can finally get this OC thing straightened out I will definitely be coming back for a visit. I haven't been in a while but I still have nothing but fond memories of my time in the Lone Star State. I have some favorite spots too, like Stubb's BBQ in Austin. If they had a no OC policy then that would be their loss. I had to give up some of my favorite spots in PA because they were anti gun but it just makes it easier for me to patron places that support the 2nd Amendment.

Good Luck Texas.

KBCraig

Agreed, although I'd just like to go on the record as saying I'd like to repeal a, b2, b3, b4, b5, b6, c, and h. I know that would be too much for one session. I'm just saying that would make me a happy guy.

If we're talking what would make us really happy, then repeal the entire chapter. Penal Code Chapter 46, gone -- every last word.

Squid13

I was stationed in Virginia while in the Navy, and I OC'd every chance I got. I was never questioned by police, though they did watch me. I was approached, only once, by another individual who had questions. They were interested in doing so themselves but didn't know it was legal. I suggest if we get it, we use it.

I also support the idea of speaking in favor of any gun rights bill in Austin, in person. The more the better.