• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When we finally get OC...

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
Sounds dangerous, I wont go it alone. But I'd be tempted to go with other people if they were planning it. /coward :lol:

That would make a great picture - straddling the dividing line between 2 states w/strong side in the OC legal state.

This can be done today. Oklahoma and Texas share something like 300 miles of border with no river along the eastern and northern edges of the Texas Panhandle. Might have to make a road trip.

My theory is that Texas cannot under any circumstances stand for Oklahoma to have something that Texas does not have. I suspect that this condition will be corrected at the first available opportunity.

rushcreek2

I believe there is ample interest and support in the Texas legislature for passage of EITHER (1) a bill similar to the OKlahoma law, (2) repeal of 46.035a/h, ..........or (3) AMEND subsection 46.035a to read:

".......intentionally ( ,KNOWINGLY, OR RECKLESSLY) fails to conceal a handgun (IN A MANNER CALCULATED TO CAUSE ALARM) while carrying under the authority of............"

The insertion of language similar to existing 42.01 (a,8) disorderly conduct language invites no opposition, and serves to clarify the original legislative intent of 46.035a which was ( and remains ) PRESUMED to be consistent with the Texas Constitution.

In view of the fact that the otherwise lawful display (read: PEACEFUL display) of a firearm OTHER THAN A HANDGUN carried under CHL authority is not so restricted under Texas law ...... the presumed constitutionality rule implies the presence of some predicate CRIMINAL offense ( "...with a view to prevent crime" ) in order for the actor involved to be guilty of any crime under the 46.035a provision.

This approach would address concerns that relaxation of the 46.035a restriction of licensed display will be subject to abuse.

Last edited:

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
To the original question of if I would OC basically everywhere immediately, YES! Most people who know me know that I carry anyway, so my 'regular spots' would not be in any jeopardy as Jack's concern. The only problem with Jack's scenario is 'actual' bars would still likely be prohibited and even Jack's 'version' of a bar (actually pool hall/ restaurant that happens to serve alcohol resulting in less than 51% of its revenue) where carry is in fact legal, carrying while under the influence is still not allowed.

As for straddling the state line, I really LIKE that idea! Would be a GREAT media opportunity if we got enough people together!

On a side note, where the heck is everybody going??? Why would anybody ever want to move out of Texas???

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
...because we don't have OC. ;-)

Seriously though, it could be job/career related, going to a particular/specific school, seeking a different geographical/climate area, or perhaps different demographics/cultures or local politics. And some people just like to move every few years (life is short) when they get older, while others are on a quest looking for America -- even as it vanishes bit by bit daily.

When I look at places to go, a state's gun laws certainly is one of the MAJOR considerations...but there are other "wish-list" items, too, so sometimes it's a trade-off as you give up one to get 2-3 others.

Hopefully, if you can't get ALL you want by moving elsewhere, you can at least get MOST of it.

Still, it's always possible for one to return to Texas at some point in the future...unless, that is, Texas has seceded by then and you need a special passport...IF they want you back -- even if only as a tourist!

;-)

Last edited:

Jack House

@Gator: I moved because $50,000 a year starting versus $10,000 a year. Wasn't an easy choice.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Jack House

...because we don't have OC. ;-)

Seriously though, it could be job/career related, going to a particular/specific school, seeking a different geographical/climate area, or perhaps different demographics/cultures or local politics. And some people just like to move every few years (life is short) when they get older, while others are on a quest looking for America -- even as it vanishes bit by bit daily.

When I look at places to go, a state's gun laws certainly is one of the MAJOR considerations...but there are other "wish-list" items, too, so sometimes it's a trade-off as you give up one to get 2-3 others.

Hopefully, if you can't get ALL you want by moving elsewhere, you can at least get MOST of it.

Still, it's always possible for one to return to Texas at some point in the future...unless, that is, Texas has seceded by then and you need a special passport...IF they want you back -- even if only as a tourist!

;-)
As a born and raised Texan, if Texas seceded and refused to let me back in,I would go to war with them.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
As a born and raised Texan, if Texas seceded and refused to let me back in,I would go to war with them.

Why do I think it possible that if Texas seceded, you would go to war with (along side, not against) them. :)

Jack House

Because Texas would let me come home. <3 The Independent Republic of Texas.

@()pen(arry, sure if both jobs were in Texas. But one is in Louisiana. :p

Last edited:

saiga12boy

Just a lone voice from out in the wilderness --

Remember the first kid in your class who <insert teenage fad of the moment>? Everybody thought they were wierd. THen a few of the Kewel Kids started doing it, too. And then even the dweebs and nerds were doing some sort of an imitation of it. By that time nobody seemed to think anything was unusual at all - except maybe certain folks were really late getting with the program.

As for you Texans - do you have any idea what people think about you when they find out you cannot openly carry?
stay safe.

When I first found out that Texans couldn't open carry I was extremely surprised to find out that Texas home of the cowboys,horses, and conservatives
didin't allow open carry.

Jack House

Been open carrying everywhere lately. It's so nice not having to worry about flashing. Now if only I hadn't blown my holster money on booze. D: