Thread: Dennys and RKBA

Campaign Veteran Lurkus Maximus's Avatar

Dennys and RKBA

UJust saw this commercial. Anyone else going to hit Denny's more often?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&h....be&nomobile=1

Go Granny!
    Last edited by Lurkus Maximus; 06-25-2012 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Edited for the mobile challenged
    -----------------------------
    "Get a shot off fast. This upsets him long enough to let you make your second shot perfect." Lazarus Long

I'm not a fan of their food, but if the opportunity (and the hour) strikes, I'll certainly be giving them a second thought.

My first thought is a popular local Mediterranean joint, but that's because it's just habit.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

It depends on whether this is them taking a stand for certain values, or if they're doing it to drum up 4th of July patriots.

The desktop link for the video is http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&h....be&nomobile=1.

"Bear arms?" lol

Love it.

dude, FIX YOUR LINK.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

Try this one: http://youtu.be/T7wYm0cYEOI

or this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7wYm0cYEOI

(Just saw that the original link was fixed already. )
    Last edited by JmE; 06-25-2012 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Oops.

I see no one baring any arms.

A quick google search turns up an article that says according to Denny's handbook, they do not allow "conspicuous carry". So they are like Cracker Barrel; so long as you don't appear to be armed, you're fine. If they know you're armed, they'll ask you to leave.

Link

Guess they're not too terribly big on that whole RKBA thing then, eh!

Nice find.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post
    A quick google search turns up an article that says according to Denny's handbook, they do not allow "conspicuous carry". So they are like Cracker Barrel; so long as you don't appear to be armed, you're fine. If they know you're armed, they'll ask you to leave.

Link
    Interesting....I've OCd many times in Cracker Barrel with no issues. Where did you get this info?
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

Multiple threads on this forum after corporate released the policy. Some managers in various locations appear to not enforce it, but every dollar goes to corporate, so whether enforced or not, going there supports the policy financially.

Link
    Interesting. I just OC'd at a Denny's on Sunday without incident.

Please understand, as a business proprieter we have an obligation to protect all of our guests, including you.
    I missed all the armed security personnel at Denny's last time I was there...

Please understand if you were dining at Denny's with your wife and family were sitting next to somneone with a conspicuous weapon, how safe would you feel?
    Quite comfortable in the reassurance that I'm not the only one that would be defending my self and my family. What's better than one gun against a bad guy? Two....

I certainly do not feel as though the manager was discriminating, although she may have been reacting emotionally and it may have felt like she was singling you out.
    You do not "feel", yet she's the one reacting emotionally? Hrmm. Taking your "feelings" out of it, by the very definition of the word, the manager was discriminating. Go ahead: look up the word.

Apart from the poor response my the manager and the dweeb from Denny's corporate, what's nagging me is that aren't handbooks generally guidebooks for EMPLOYEES? Without having said handbook to refer to, it almost sounds as though Denny's had a corporate policy that doesn't prevent THEIR EMPLOYEES from concealed carrying. What handbooks spells out rules for CUSTOMERS to follow??

That's something I found interesting too; handbooks are generally for employees, not customers. But I haven't seen any other reports about corporate "correcting" the issue, so as best I can figure, they either

1. Don't have a policy, which is weird in light of the commercial.

2. Leave the policy up to the mangers, which is weird, in light of the commercial.

3. Are against OC, and the commercial is just to get 4th of July business. After all, in it, the dad asks if they know what makes this country great, and they all chime in with Constitutional, apple pie, American stuff, and he goes "Uh,... yeaaah...that's what I was thinking too."

The overall message I get from that, is he thinks cheap diner food is what makes America great, because we aren't capable of valuing something of higher importance then eating. It is a restaurant; they're in the food industry. I realize they're trying to be humorous, and maybe I'm seeing more then there is, but that's what I see.

I'm not trying to stop anyone from going to Denny's, just wondering if they're taking a stand like Starbucks did, or if they're just using hot words to drum up business without committing to being 2A friendly. Not that that's wrong and they shouldn't do it, but if it's going to quack like a duck, I'd like to know that I'm really buying a duck.
    Last edited by PistolPackingMomma; 06-26-2012 at 12:34 PM.

That's something I found interesting too; handbooks are generally for employees, not customers. But I haven't seen any other reports about corporate "correcting" the issue, so as best I can figure, they either

1. Don't have a policy, which is weird in light of the commercial.

2. Leave the policy up to the mangers, which is weird, in light of the commercial.

3. Are against OC, and the commercial is just to get 4th of July business. After all, in it, the dad asks if they know what makes this country great, and they all chime in with Constitutional, apple pie, American stuff, and he goes "Uh,... yeaaah...that's what I was thinking too."

The overall message I get from that, is he thinks cheap diner food is what makes America great, because we aren't capable of valuing something of higher importance then eating. It is a restaurant; they're in the food industry. I realize they're trying to be humorous, and maybe I'm seeing more then there is, but that's what I see.

I'm not trying to stop anyone from going to Denny's, just wondering if they're taking a stand like Starbucks did, or if they're just using hot words to drum up business without committing to being 2A friendly. Not that that's wrong and they shouldn't do it, but if it's going to quack like a duck, I'd like to know that I'm really buying a duck.
    While I see your point, I do think they intentionally allowed the second amendment remark, and went so far as to have a non typical gun person say it. I doubt though they allow their employees to carry, I do not think any insurance carrier would give them insurance if they did. As far as I know Starbucks does not allow employee carry. Except for one or two incidences Denny's seems to have a carry friendly attitude, as well as IHOP. I think each individual has to place the value on the commercial. Do I believe they were pandering, of course they were, all business panders. That's how they stay in business. But I am sure they are well aware of both the positive and negative reactions to the commercial. I still applaud them. At least they didn't stick some girls booty in our face to sell food.

BTW does anybody remember Denny's original name? For the life of me I can't remember it, and I had gone there when younger.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 06-26-2012 at 01:29 PM.

Excellent points.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    BTW does anybody remember Denny's original name? For the life of me I can't remember it, and I had gone there when younger.
    Wikipedia (always a trustworthy, reliable source) says "Danny's Donuts".

Quote Originally Posted by NoTolerance View Post
    Wikipedia (always a trustworthy, reliable source) says "Danny's Donuts".
    I was mistaken then I looked at Wiki and it couldn't have been Danny's Donuts. It may have been just that one franchise closed and Denny's move into the vacant spot.

I've carried in Cracker Barrel and Denny's as well with no issues at all. I continue to carry at my local Denny's as long as they accept me and my Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by NoTolerance View Post
    Interesting. I just OC'd at a Denny's on Sunday without incident.
    As did I. I've ocd at dennys alot.

Link
    I open carry at Cracker Barrel quite often. Denny's too. In fact almost everywhere.

Like I said, some managers are enforcing corporate policy, others are not.

Not trying to tell anyone they can't or shouldn't go to these places; just trying to help everyone be informed, in case they'd like to vote with their wallets.

I don't know if Denny's and Cracker Barrel does it the same way as Waffle House. WH has franchise locations and corporate locations. And WH can do a forced buyout on a struggling franchise if they want to. The franchisee owner can decide on whether they allow or carry or not. The corporate policy is no carry, OC or CC.

I've been to a couple of Denny's in WA no problem, to include a couple of meet-ups with a dozen people OC'ing.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com