• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dennys and RKBA

Kirbinator

I'm not a fan of their food, but if the opportunity (and the hour) strikes, I'll certainly be giving them a second thought.

My first thought is a popular local Mediterranean joint, but that's because it's just habit.

PistolPackingMomma

It depends on whether this is them taking a stand for certain values, or if they're doing it to drum up 4th of July patriots.

PistolPackingMomma

A quick google search turns up an article that says according to Denny's handbook, they do not allow "conspicuous carry". So they are like Cracker Barrel; so long as you don't appear to be armed, you're fine. If they know you're armed, they'll ask you to leave.

Link

Jack House

Guess they're not too terribly big on that whole RKBA thing then, eh!

Nice find.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Redbaron007

A quick google search turns up an article that says according to Denny's handbook, they do not allow "conspicuous carry". So they are like Cracker Barrel; so long as you don't appear to be armed, you're fine. If they know you're armed, they'll ask you to leave.

Link

Interesting....I've OCd many times in Cracker Barrel with no issues. Where did you get this info?

PistolPackingMomma

Multiple threads on this forum after corporate released the policy. Some managers in various locations appear to not enforce it, but every dollar goes to corporate, so whether enforced or not, going there supports the policy financially.

NoTolerance

Link

Interesting. I just OC'd at a Denny's on Sunday without incident.

NoTolerance

Please understand, as a business proprieter we have an obligation to protect all of our guests, including you.

I missed all the armed security personnel at Denny's last time I was there...

Please understand if you were dining at Denny's with your wife and family were sitting next to somneone with a conspicuous weapon, how safe would you feel?

Quite comfortable in the reassurance that I'm not the only one that would be defending my self and my family. What's better than one gun against a bad guy? Two....

I certainly do not feel as though the manager was discriminating, although she may have been reacting emotionally and it may have felt like she was singling you out.

You do not "feel", yet she's the one reacting emotionally? Hrmm. Taking your "feelings" out of it, by the very definition of the word, the manager was discriminating. Go ahead: look up the word.

Apart from the poor response my the manager and the dweeb from Denny's corporate, what's nagging me is that aren't handbooks generally guidebooks for EMPLOYEES? Without having said handbook to refer to, it almost sounds as though Denny's had a corporate policy that doesn't prevent THEIR EMPLOYEES from concealed carrying. What handbooks spells out rules for CUSTOMERS to follow??

PistolPackingMomma

That's something I found interesting too; handbooks are generally for employees, not customers. But I haven't seen any other reports about corporate "correcting" the issue, so as best I can figure, they either

1. Don't have a policy, which is weird in light of the commercial.

2. Leave the policy up to the mangers, which is weird, in light of the commercial.

3. Are against OC, and the commercial is just to get 4th of July business. After all, in it, the dad asks if they know what makes this country great, and they all chime in with Constitutional, apple pie, American stuff, and he goes "Uh,...:uhoh: yeaaah...that's what I was thinking too."

The overall message I get from that, is he thinks cheap diner food is what makes America great, because we aren't capable of valuing something of higher importance then eating. It is a restaurant; they're in the food industry. I realize they're trying to be humorous, and maybe I'm seeing more then there is, but that's what I see.

I'm not trying to stop anyone from going to Denny's, just wondering if they're taking a stand like Starbucks did, or if they're just using hot words to drum up business without committing to being 2A friendly. Not that that's wrong and they shouldn't do it, but if it's going to quack like a duck, I'd like to know that I'm really buying a duck.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

That's something I found interesting too; handbooks are generally for employees, not customers. But I haven't seen any other reports about corporate "correcting" the issue, so as best I can figure, they either

1. Don't have a policy, which is weird in light of the commercial.

2. Leave the policy up to the mangers, which is weird, in light of the commercial.

3. Are against OC, and the commercial is just to get 4th of July business. After all, in it, the dad asks if they know what makes this country great, and they all chime in with Constitutional, apple pie, American stuff, and he goes "Uh,...:uhoh: yeaaah...that's what I was thinking too."

The overall message I get from that, is he thinks cheap diner food is what makes America great, because we aren't capable of valuing something of higher importance then eating. It is a restaurant; they're in the food industry. I realize they're trying to be humorous, and maybe I'm seeing more then there is, but that's what I see.

I'm not trying to stop anyone from going to Denny's, just wondering if they're taking a stand like Starbucks did, or if they're just using hot words to drum up business without committing to being 2A friendly. Not that that's wrong and they shouldn't do it, but if it's going to quack like a duck, I'd like to know that I'm really buying a duck.

While I see your point, I do think they intentionally allowed the second amendment remark, and went so far as to have a non typical gun person say it. I doubt though they allow their employees to carry, I do not think any insurance carrier would give them insurance if they did. As far as I know Starbucks does not allow employee carry. Except for one or two incidences Denny's seems to have a carry friendly attitude, as well as IHOP. I think each individual has to place the value on the commercial. Do I believe they were pandering, of course they were, all business panders. That's how they stay in business. But I am sure they are well aware of both the positive and negative reactions to the commercial. I still applaud them. At least they didn't stick some girls booty in our face to sell food.

BTW does anybody remember Denny's original name? For the life of me I can't remember it, and I had gone there when younger.

Last edited:

DCKilla

I've carried in Cracker Barrel and Denny's as well with no issues at all. I continue to carry at my local Denny's as long as they accept me and my Glock.