• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Purchasing a handgun

attrapereves

I recently moved to Missouri from North Carolina. I already have my MO DL, so I am considered a resident. I went into a gun shop in Jeff City and asked about the purchasing requirements and was told that I needed to be a resident of the state for six months. Is this a state law or just a gun shop rule? How do they know how long you have been a resident?

cshoff

attrapereves - The person you talked to at the gun shop was wrong. There is no requirement that you be a resident here for a certain period of time before you may purchase a handgun. Once you have assumed residency here, you are good to go. I would go to a different dealer to do your business.

Bluemax - No. There is no such thing as "transferring" a CCW permit from another state to a Missouri permit. The only way to obtain a Missouri CCW endorsement is to meet the requirements spelled out in RSMO 571.101.2 (http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5710000101.HTM).

Last edited:

attrapereves

I did some research on this and found out that in Missouri (as many of you probably know), you used to be required to obtain a purchase permit from the county sheriff before buying a handgun. Many counties had a six month residency requirement for obtaining these permits. It might be that this shop I was in was confused and still maintained this requirement for some reason.

Bluemax: No, your NC CHP won't transfer to MO. I'm not going to even bother getting a MO CCW endorsement because I already have a Florida permit which is valid here. Also, I don't like having to take another course, paying a large fee, only for a permit that is good for three years. Lastly, I am here for graduate school so I have no clue if I will stay in Missouri for employment after receiving my degree (I do really like it here so far!).

Last edited:

Oramac

Bluemax: No, your NC CHP won't transfer to MO. I'm not going to even bother getting a MO CCW endorsement because I already have a Florida permit which is valid here. Also, I don't like having to take another course, paying a large fee, only for a permit that is good for three years. Lastly, I am here for graduate school so I have no clue if I will stay in Missouri for employment after receiving my degree (I do really like it here so far!).

One reason you may consider to get a MO permit is that other states do not always recognize OOS permits. For example, my family went to Michigan to visit relatives recently. I was able to carry since I am a MO resident with a MO permit, however my dad could not carry since he only has a Utah permit, but is clearly not a Utah resident.

Redbaron007

One reason you may consider to get a MO permit is that other states do not always recognize OOS permits. For example, my family went to Michigan to visit relatives recently. I was able to carry since I am a MO resident with a MO permit, however my dad could not carry since he only has a Utah permit, but is clearly not a Utah resident.

Good post....plus having a MO permit will clear up the GFSZ potential issues.

REALteach4u

I did some research on this and found out that in Missouri (as many of you probably know), you used to be required to obtain a purchase permit from the county sheriff before buying a handgun. Many counties had a six month residency requirement for obtaining these permits. It might be that this shop I was in was confused and still maintained this requirement for some reason.

As cshoff said, someone has ill informed you on that matter. The permit to acquire (PTA) was repealed in 2007, so if a shop is still touting this they are extremely ill informed. If you were treated well then help them correct that "malfunction" in a polite and professional manner. If you weren't treated well then just take your business elsewhere. There are members in your area on the board that can provide you with information on shops that will treat you well and will not spread bad information.

@ bluemax, there's a particular business that created a HUGE problem for CCW holders in Missouri through HB294 in 2011. Please visit www.missouricarry.com and look for a sticky thread in the General section from Tim Oliver. You'll want to read the posted letters in that thread as that business is in your area. I'll apologize in advance if you are stuck registering on that forum to read the thread. It's a wealth of knowledge as is this one, several members are on both forums.

Last edited:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Just like any other law..

The residency requirements for MO are now 90 days, they did indeed used to be six months.

Now, you can use your shiny new license to purchase a shiny new firearm, however, the recent move could trigger a 4473 delay, but those are only five days long or five very long days since you really want to go shoot the new toy!

Residency restrictions are simply one of the hundreds of regulations a gun dealer must comply with, there are changes every year, does not make him a bad dealer, just one who missed the change in one law a few years ago, a law that would not be monitored by gun advocates etc. A divorce lawyer would be more likely to monitor such things as OOS divorce is an often employed strategy to make it harder on the opposing party. If the ex-to-be is in OK city and you move to St. Louis, wait your 90 days plus an additional 30, you can then file in MO for divorce, if you do it before then, it is kicked back because of jurisdictional issues and OK state is where you must file, blather blather etc.

Residency laws vary by state, more have moved to the 90 day thing than used to be as it caused significant issues for things like divorce court. You also must watch things like the old state permit requirements etc. Say you moved from state X and they said as soon as you move your permit expires, you need to remember that and until you have your 90 days in MO where you can swap everything you need to be "living in X but moving to MO" if pulled over by the popo so you do not put yourself in to a court room mess for concealed carry without a good permit. you would likely win etc, but $$$$$ marks the spot.

Food for thought as residency laws are more of a pain in the butt than they are worth.

chiggerbyt

Your dealer should have received a new packet of 4473 forms which are required to be used starting July 9th of this year. The residency requirement is removed for U S citizens and reduced from 90 days to 30 days for eligible aliens. At the bottom left of the form where you put your residency as Missouri (question 13) have them go to the applicable help and definition to see the change. You just have to be a resident here where you are making your home now. Chig

Last edited: