• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting ready to research "check points"

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Interesting thread.

Ken Cuccinelli is ramping his campaign for Governor up now. There will be town halls and campaign events.

These are issues that need to be addressed by us before he's elected.

cyras21

Just give up those freedoms a little at a time. All for the sake of "feeling safe." That's how it all begins. I guess since people are able to get away with not showing and I.D. , no arrest have been made for refusal and thus haven't made their way into any court to be determined unconstitutional?

not quite, there is a case in AZ going to trail...well I was going to say this month or next but it appears it was settled before trial so no determination as far as constitutionality.

https://www.checkpointusa.org/blog/index.php/2012/06/09/p255

https://www.checkpointusa.org/

Thundar

Interesting thread.

Ken Cuccinelli is ramping his campaign for Governor up now. There will be town halls and campaign events.

These are issues that need to be addressed by us before he's elected.

Gun owners have been screwed by the Cooch too many times already. I for one will ramp up my anti-Cooch campaign.

Bowesmobile

Seems to me I saw this troop movement going south on 288 on the 17th around 7pm? Exactly how it was described on the video. The sooner we replace the president the better IMHO.

nuc65

Activist Member

va_tazdad

Really??????

Can somebody tell me how a checkpoint which violates my rights make me safe? Like the TSA checks in the airport, I would feel safer armed and since I am responsible for myself then what's the point.

Oh wait, bad citizen, how dare you not believe what the government tells you to believe.

Last I knew, the active US military could not be used against the citizens according to the Constitution.

The Guard can be used when activated for an emergency like Katrina, but not active duty troops.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Last I knew, the active US military could not be used against the citizens according to the Constitution.

The Guard can be used when activated for an emergency like Katrina, but not active duty troops.

They can't be used for active law enforcement Taz...but they can be used for support functions. Besides, when did they start playing by the rules except for the rule of heavy metal.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Remember that the National Guard performs the function of a State's armed, organized* militia. They are under the direct control of the State's governor unless and until called up for federal service - which is sometimes predicated on who has sufficient money to pay them as opposed to their need/use actually being for a federal (as opposed to State) purpose.

The last time before Katrina that my feeble mind can recall NG troops being called out by a governor to enforce the law was during some riot or other - or was it after a hurricane other than Katrina, or a wildfire? It's all a bit fuzzy.

I think we have been over this before, but rather than page back to check I'll just go ahead and post it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posse_Comitatus_Act

The Posse Comitatus Act is the United States federal law (18 U.S.C. § 1385, original at 20 Stat. 152) that was passed on June 18, 1878, after the end of Reconstruction. Its intent (in concert with the Insurrection Act of 1807) was to limit the powers of local governments and law enforcement agencies in using federal military personnel to enforce the laws of the land. Contrary to popular belief, the Act does not prohibit members of the Army from exercising state law enforcement, police, or peace officer powers that maintain "law and order"; it simply requires that any authority to do so must exist with the United States Constitution or Act of Congress. In this way, most use of the Army and the Air Force at the direction of the President** does not offend the statute, even though it may be problematic for political reasons.

Those that love spending time poring over law books are invited to try and find a similar statute limiting the use of non-federalized National Guard troops.

stay safe.

* - let the jokes about "organized militia" begin. References to Revolutionary and Civil*** War militia are encouraged.

** - as in when the President (step 1)calls the NG up to federal service and then (step 2) orders them to enforce State laws.

*** - there is just no way one can write Civil/of Northern Aggression/to Preserve the Union/of States' Rights without both the writer and the reader going off the tracks with little hope of ever getting back. Just let us call it a "convention" and allow it to pass. OK?

johnfenter

Little Rock Nine

They can't be used for active law enforcement Taz...but they can be used for support functions. Besides, when did they start playing by the rules except for the rule of heavy metal.

Suggest you google the above term, and review the history of what Eisenhower did. Also, look at the use of Federal troops for union busting...

davidmcbeth

Banned
Can somebody tell me how a checkpoint which violates my rights make me safe? .

Well, it makes me feel safer in my opinion that government officials are bent on violating every restraint that they have .. soon we'll have to house policemen.

But don't worry "not every cop is bad" lol .. I'm sure that every cop at these checkpoints thinks they are standup guys..in their own mind.

"active soldiers cannot be used against US citizens" .. I recall USAF airmen after 9-11 pointing guns at us at airports because I talked to a few of those active duty airmen and asked them why they are pointing guns at citizens of the US. They were only "following orders" as they said.

Very few government officials care about citizens, only their own and their governments' continual expansion of power and authority over us. They must disarm us before the ultimate actions occur.

Now most advice is just to remain silent when going through these checkpoints & that's excellent advice to get through them with the minimum of hassle (although you'll still get hassled big time). During checkpoints though, I just continually pepper them with questions : what is your home address? what's your social security number? etc. and then when they ask me a question .. I reply back with the same answers they gave me: none of your business, ask me in court, I'm the one asking questions here... its a lark. But I don't answer any questions ... I'm not the Shell Answer Man.

And if they call me "sir" then I give them an order "go over to that spot 100 ft away"..hey, they called me sir and that tells me that I have authority over them...they l-o-v-e this game.

The game is on.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Suggest you google the above term, and review the history of what Eisenhower did. Also, look at the use of Federal troops for union busting...

Yep...I remember it well John. What's your point? No sense preaching to the choir.

Besides, when did they start playing by the rules except for the rule of heavy metal.

Last edited:

riverrat10k

National Guard was called out in Richmond in , I believe, '85 or '87, to "guard" us from the flooding James River. We snuck on, went kayaking anyway, probably a high-water- run record at the time.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
National Guard was called out in Richmond in , I believe, '85 or '87, to "guard" us from the flooding James River. We snuck on, went kayaking anyway, probably a high-water- run record at the time.

Scofflaw!:lol:

zfish.jpg

Last edited:

mobeewan

Remember that the National Guard performs the function of a State's armed, organized* militia. They are under the direct control of the State's governor unless and until called up for federal service - which is sometimes predicated on who has sufficient money to pay them as opposed to their need/use actually being for a federal (as opposed to State) purpose.

The last time before Katrina that my feeble mind can recall NG troops being called out by a governor to enforce the law was during some riot or other - or was it after a hurricane other than Katrina, or a wildfire? It's all a bit fuzzy.

I think we have been over this before, but rather than page back to check I'll just go ahead and post it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posse_Comitatus_Act

Those that love spending time poring over law books are invited to try and find a similar statute limiting the use of non-federalized National Guard troops.

stay safe.

* - let the jokes about "organized militia" begin. References to Revolutionary and Civil*** War militia are encouraged.

** - as in when the President (step 1)calls the NG up to federal service and then (step 2) orders them to enforce State laws.

*** - there is just no way one can write Civil/of Northern Aggression/to Preserve the Union/of States' Rights without both the writer and the reader going off the tracks with little hope of ever getting back. Just let us call it a "convention" and allow it to pass. OK?

Many many moons ago when I used to buy SOF Magazine on a regular basis there was an article I read about the aftermath of Hurricane Andrew in south Florida. In the article it was mentioned that the US Army troops were mobilized to meals on wheels and set up tent cities. It was normal when deployed that they took their personal equipment and issued weapons with them where ever deployed either in the US or abroad. I believe the reason they took it with them when deployed in the US was because if needed to be deployed for war in an emergency they had everything with then and would not have to go back to their base to get it. However when deployed in the US for non war related reasons they were not issued ammo.

After Hurricane Andrew gang members were attacking US Army troops and taking their issued weapons from them.

When National Guard troops were approached by gang members probing them and asking questions about weapons and if they had ammo a Leiutenant informed them that they were National Guard and had been deployed by the state and therefore had ammo and could shoot them if they had to unlike their US Army counterparts. The gang members left.

Last edited: