• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coming from New Zealand

Maarty

Hi all, we are planning to move over there from New Zealand in the not too distant future and I'm wondering what hurdles there may be for me as far as owning and carrying guns.

As far as I'm aware there will not be any problems but I would like to hear from people on the ground as far as carrying etc are concerned.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Once you are a RESIDENT of a US state, you may own and possess guns. Which state you reside in will determine your ability to carry such guns in public. Some states will not issue carry permits (if required) unless you are also a US citizen. Nevada is not one of them, but Oklahoma recently changed their law to require it. A Montana expert will hopefully chime in soon. I have family in Montana, but am not up there nearly often enough to have looked into all the laws.

Maarty

Thanks for that.
We are planning on residing in Montana if things go the way we want. So I guess it will depend on how quick I can establish residency.

KBCraig

Laws restricting legal carry to citizens, and excluding legal residents, have been shot down repeatedly in court, and Oklahoma's law will also be shot down. Kentucky changed their law to citizens-only, then quickly changed it back before the lawsuits could even be scheduled.

Maarty, you'll feel right at home in Montana -- sheep everywhere! :D

Maarty

Laws restricting legal carry to citizens, and excluding legal residents, have been shot down repeatedly in court, and Oklahoma's law will also be shot down. Kentucky changed their law to citizens-only, then quickly changed it back before the lawsuits could even be scheduled.

Maarty, you'll feel right at home in Montana -- sheep everywhere! :D

Funny you should mention that.
I read today there's still a law on the books in Montana that says you aren't allowed a sheep in the front of your truck without a chaperone.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Funny you should mention that.
I read today there's still a law on the books in Montana that says you aren't allowed a sheep in the front of your truck without a chaperone.

Maarty you are going to fit in quite well here.............and that scares me.:lol:

Please do not provide pictures and I'd suggest ignoring all requests to explain further.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for that.
We are planning on residing in Montana if things go the way we want. So I guess it will depend on how quick I can establish residency.

For my state, for all but hunting license purposes, residency starts as soon as you can show you are living here, including rent or lease agreement, or utility bills. If you buy from a licensed dealer, there may be additional INS documentation for non-citizen residency status. It's been a long time since I worked for a gun shop, and I just can't remember. I only sold to a non-citizen once.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I used to live in MT and make frequent trips (In fact I am here now). If I remember the MCA correctly, there is a 90 day wait before residency. After 90 days from your drivers license issue date you should have no problem getting a license. In the mean time, feel free to take advantage of MT gun rights and OC. Look at MT MCAs regarding firearms and learn them in and out, know restricted areas and local codes for parks. If you have questions after that, post them.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Add of cite for detail. Seems its actually 180 days + 60 days = 240 days.

MCA 45-8-321 said:
(1) A county sheriff shall, within 60 days after the filing of an application, issue a permit to carry a concealed weapon to the applicant. The permit is valid for 4 years from the date of issuance. An applicant must be a United States citizen who is 18 years of age or older and who holds a valid Montana driver's license or other form of identification issued by the state that has a picture of the person identified. An applicant must have been a resident of the state for at least 6 months.

Also notice that they state you must be a US citizen, not sure of the constitutional validity of that.

Last edited:

hermannr

Add of cite for detail. Seems its actually 180 days + 60 days = 240 days.

Also notice that they state you must be a US citizen, not sure of the constitutional validity of that.

As unlicensed Open Carry is perfectly legal, he can wait on the permit. He just as to be a bit more careful with local laws.

I would look closer into that law, requiring US Citizenship is 100% unconstitutional and that requirement has been struck down every place it has gone to court...even in MA. There may be another path for a concealed permit for legal resident aliens (non-US Citizens) in the law too so make sure you read the whole section.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
As unlicensed Open Carry is perfectly legal, he can wait on the permit. He just as to be a bit more careful with local laws.

Yup, I agree OC in the mean time. I actually called that out here:

In the mean time, feel free to take advantage of MT gun rights and OC. Look at MT MCAs regarding firearms and learn them in and out, know restricted areas and local codes for parks. If you have questions after that, post them.

Maarty

Wherebouts in our fine state you headed?

Either up your way or Missoula, depends on work.
No matter where we end up I'll be happy, and in case anyone is wondering we're coming to Montana not bring New Zealand there.
I can't see the sense in moving somewhere then trying to change it so it's the same as where you left.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No matter where we end up I'll be happy, and in case anyone is wondering we're coming to Montana not bring New Zealand there.
I can't see the sense in moving somewhere then trying to change it so it's the same as where you left.

Seems like you have read our book before. :lol:

BTW - there are many things I admire about New Zealand.

MamaLiberty

Stop by and visit Wyoming. With complete preemption, there are no state or local restrictions on open carry. Nice not to have to worry about it each time you cross an arbitrary line somewhere.

Federal laws do apply, so get to know them. For us, that just means not going armed into federal property such as the "post office."

We honor private property, of course, but you won't find "no gun" signs much of anywhere except Cheyenne and the few other liberal outposts such as that in Jackson Hole. :) And, as a Wyoming resident, you don't need a CC "permit" at all.

Lots of jobs here too. :)

LeMat

I've been here since 1974. Don't worry about bringing New Zealand with you. I'd rather have a little of that than all the east and west coast garbage that's been brought here for the last 20 years.

I left in 1988 and came back in 2002. Didn't recognize the place anymore.

I spend a lot of time in the woods and carry a Colt 4" Anaconda in 45 Colt. Run into around 4-5 bruins every year and have been bluff charged by an angry moose. Even with an unassuming gun like that, it still pisses off all of the left wing implants drinking their huckleberry lattes and murmuring into their bluetooths about "the guy with a gun".

LeMat

I left in the early 90s and have only been back to the north Flathead a few times since. It's nuts how much it changed.

I lived there in Post Falls back in 93-96. Worked with the Post Falls P.D. for a short while (they were still in the old Laundromat back then). Worked in a couple of the lumber mills as well.......

Took a trip over there in '06 and couldn't believe how much it changed. Seemed like all the old mills are housing complexes now.

If you haven't been over here in the past 5 years or so, you wouldn't believe the north side of town. We even have a bypass around the west side of town. :(