• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

357 Ruger LCR Double Action Revolver

Automatica

I think I'm in love...
http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/specSheets/5450.html

Any hints for trying to find a deal on this (or other) 357 revolvers? This will be my first gun purchase on my own. I've been borrowing my retired LE dad's snub 38 with +P rounds for remote backpacking excursions, but it's time to upgrade after a little bear stalking action last week.

BTW, I am not stuck on this model or make... but it just felt REALLY good in the gun shop as far as weight, grip, and trigger pull. I'd be open to other suggestions for models or places to shop.

J_Oliver

I'm actually looking into purchasing one of these as well so I'll be observing this thread. I'm actually torn between the LCP and the LCR, while leaning towards the LCP.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Automatica

A guy I know from church found out what I was looking at, turns out he's got one of these for sale -
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57767_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

A little bit of a more expensive alternative, new that is. He cut me a deal on it since it's 5 years old and has had 200 or less rounds put through it. We'll see how I like the feel and trigger pull, and the plus side is I get to fire this hand cannon before purchasing! I'll keep you up to date J_Oliver.

Automatica

A guy I know from church found out what I was looking at, turns out he's got one of these for sale -
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57767_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

I went with that one. At $400 for a gun with no more 200 rounds through it and in good condition, you'd be freaking insane to turn that down. Sighting system was better, trigger pull was a little heavier IMHO than the Ruger but just right for me, gun fit the hand good for being a very compact side arm, and the gun itself was lighter than the Ruger (perfect as I'm using it for a backpacking backup, but not ideal for those who want a heavier 357 due to recoil... it's a belly gun what can I say?).

Oliver, I would suggest checking that one out. It's a decent gun with a better sighting system in my mind. Not that it matters heavily for a 357 snub nose, but I figure at close quarters I'll take any advantage I can get out of a snubby.

Edit to add - 10 day waiting periods suck.

Last edited:

Rxman

I'm glad you purchased a nice "alternative", but as a Ruger KLCR.357mag owner, probably should have tried it out too before buying the S&W. The Ruger's trigger is smooth as silk, superior to the Smith"s by far. At $380.00 for the KLCR, less than half the price of a new 340PD, I could afford to install a XS Big Dot Sight, which does work like the YouTube Vids say they do-just fantastic! Recoil is much less with the Ruger, especially with the .357mag cartridges, mostly due to the installed Hogue Tamer Grips. Voted "Gun of the Year" twice, the Ruger KLCR is very hard to beat for a SD revolver. Take care and enjoy!