• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Waldo Canyon Fire Thread

mahkagari

I've not been evacuated, but I'm only a couple hundred yards away from the edge of the current mandatory evacuation area.

Surely, you have a good rifle that can make it retreat, right?

Seriously though, are you ready to bug?

cch10000

Do you need help gettin out ?? I have a couple of trailers I can be there in a short time to help you if ya need it. let me know

I'll pm my phone call if I can help

Charlie

since9

Campaign Veteran
Thanks, Charlie - I appreciate it!

No, we're good for now. Although I'm now just 300' from the edge of the mandatory evacuation zone, it's across Centennial, which is a four lane divided... street. Somewhere I read long ago that it was specifically designed as a fire break. If the front ever does come this close, there are hundreds of hydrants from which the pumpers can draw to douse it to keep it from jumping the street.

If I do bug out it'll be due to smoke. I have relatives in town, including friends East of town.

Bellum_Intus

Thanks, Charlie - I appreciate it!

No, we're good for now. Although I'm now just 300' from the edge of the mandatory evacuation zone, it's across Centennial, which is a four lane divided... street. Somewhere I read long ago that it was specifically designed as a fire break. If the front ever does come this close, there are hundreds of hydrants from which the pumpers can draw to douse it to keep it from jumping the street.

If I do bug out it'll be due to smoke. I have relatives in town, including friends East of town.

If you need to go way east, you are welcome out here..

--Rob

O2HeN2

So this fire brings up memories. Maybe 10 or more years ago there was a battle over Waldo Canyon. A mine owned the property (or property visible from Waldo Canyon -- my memory isn't what it used to be) and wanted to start, well, mining. Strip mining to be exact.

The protests erupted and in the end property rights lost and the strip mine was not allowed to be built, rendering the mine's investment in the property worthless.

Which brings me back to a bumper sticker I saw even MORE years ago (popular, though unsanctioned by the school) that said:

Strip mining prevents forest fires
School of Mines​

O2

Last edited:

mahkagari

For the sarcastically impaired (see above), I don't like strip mines, but I don't like violation of property rights even more. Jeez.

O2

I was being facetious as well. I'm not endorsing castration, I like property rights, don't like strip mines, and am a fan of, well, we'll just stop there.

Bellum_Intus

I appreciate your offer, Rob -- Thank you very much! Between several relatives living in four other homes here in town, though, I think I'm ok. If the Yellowstone caldera erupts and wipes them out, though, I might take you up your offer!

Lol!! If Yellowstone erupts, my house is gonna be a busy place..!
And... anytime... =)

--Rob

RockyMtnScotsman

FYI - Northern portion of Mountain Shadows and Peregrine neighborhoods just put on pre-evac. 30min visit to S. Mountain Shadows revoked.

I can see the C-130's dropping slurry just west of the scar from my home office window.

Bellum_Intus

FYI - Northern portion of Mountain Shadows and Peregrine neighborhoods just put on pre-evac. 30min visit to S. Mountain Shadows revoked.

I can see the C-130's dropping slurry just west of the scar from my home office window.

Its much worse now.. If you are on the north side, please be safe..

Bellum_Intus

Oh god..

Woodmen and I25 now on mandatory evacuation..

If any of you need help, and are still online, you can come out here.. just hit me here, on FB or whereever..

--Rob

Last edited:

Bellum_Intus

Looks like we lost the Flying W Ranch...

The entire NW side of Colorado Springs now on mandatroy evacuation.
GoG and Centennial now on fire..

ANYone needing a place to go, I am 45 mile east of Colorado Springs..

Be safe .. please..

--Rob

City wide - PD / EL Paso Sheriffs office asking people not to use cell phones.. this is serious..

Last edited:

Bellum_Intus

We're losing the NW side of Colorado Springs..
Mountain Shadows is now on fire..

Offer still out there.. ANYONE online needing a place.. please call me

--Rob

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
This has become a fire storm "of epic proportions" according to officials on the scene. Homes are being destroyed and whole subdivisions evacuated.

My offer to volunteer has not been answered but I want to help in some capacity.

What I can do is offer my home as a refuge if somebody needs a place to hole up.

If you need help, contact me by p.m. with your phone number and we will help in any way within our ability.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin