• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Waldo Canyon Fire Thread

Bellum_Intus

I hear ya MT..

I am only an applicant with the Rangers, and they are heading up to Monument and .. I CANT do anything because I'm not sworn yet.. Growl..
I've opened up my home as well..

And if you are watching the news, those firefighters are AMAZING..

--Rob

PikesPeakMtnMan

Without being involved directly with this fire I was about as close to it as anyone...on my way home from work this evening I just KNEW that something bad was indeed happening, when I got home my g/f met me at the door telling me that multiple structures were burning...and it got worse from there. We live directly east of the conflagration by a mere couple miles...the smoke was damn thick and dark. Being a former firefighter it was hard to me to follow along with everything that was happening...but im still rehabbing a busted leg and broken pelvis from a bad accident a couple months ago so i could not have helped much anyway.

I was listening to the online feeds of the emergency scanners and facebooking with friends, keeping up to speed on everything and watching the news....im only now beginning to catch up with the rest of my world.

Bellum_Intus

PS I know this stuff (the thread) is WAY off topic, I ask that the moderators allow it to stay.. this is devastating to us here in the Springs..

THIS.. makes me sad..
From the FWR website..
it's gone..

It's a sad day for the Flying W Ranch. With much sadness we have to report that the Flying W Ranch as well as several homes in the Mountain Shadows area has infact been burned to the ground. We ask that in this sad time that you remember the Flying W and the Wolfe family who has owned and operated the Flying W Ranch since 1953.

If you have made an online reservation or a deposit your money will be refunded at a later date when we have had a chance to gather our thoughts. We ask that you pray for all the families within the area and asure you we will rebuild.

All Our Love,

Flying W Ranch Management, Staff and especially Ownership

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

PS I know this stuff (the thread) is WAY off topic, I ask that the moderators allow it to stay.. this is devastating to us here in the Springs..

Howdy Pard!
This being the Colorado board, I think this thread is very much important to Colorado OC'ers.
The loss of the Flying W, destruction of homes, loss of forests, extreme peril to fire and police officals,
very much relevant to OC'ers in Colorado.

That OC'ers have reached out to other OC'ers illustrates how we stick together and offer help to our member friends.
It ain't just Meet and Greets, but the offer of help to our fellow OC'ers when SHTF situations blow up like this.

It is also an opportunity for OC'ers to step forward and volunteer to help out.

I believe the Mods will permit this thread to remain because the situation we face here in Colorado is going to affect OC'ers in our state in profound ways.

Since9 posted that he lives in the area near Garden of the Gods and Centennial. Anybody hear from him lately?
The area near his place was up for evac yesterday. Last evening, the wildfire drove thousands out to shelters around the city.
My concern for Since9 is nothing short of profound, and I hope he will post his situation soon.
He is one heck of an advocate for OC, and a leader in the movement to advance 2a rights in our state.
Hope he is okay, but his place was right on the edge of that inferno last night.
A place, BTW, that he moved into with the help of a group of OC'ers last year.

So, as can be demonstrated, this thread is most certainly relevant to the Colorado board, because OC'ers are not only interested, not only affected, but very possibly in a perilous situation as I write this.

And I am delighted to see some OC'ers offer help to other OC'ers during this fire storm.

Who may next be imperiled when the winds come up?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Polynikes

My family was among those at the base of the mountains that was placed under mandatory evac yesterday. We were literally watching flames coming down the mountain toward us as we drove away. We are still unsure as to the status of our home (just purchased and fully renovated in October of last year) at this time.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Alive and kicking!

M-Taliesin, Bellum_Intus and others - thank you for your concerns!

Yesterday morning, my father picked up my son around 9am to take him and my ballot to the drop-off box on Garden of the Gods Rd. while I headed to my interview with the CSPD (volunteer). While there, I had a clear view of the scar (the old one) and the fires that had begun hopping over the mountain. I arrived at my parents (Rockrimmon) shortly after noon, before there was much to be concerned about. When I took my son home around 2:30, however, the smoke had risen to a thick angry column, but the air was still clear.

I began hearing people talking excitedly outside shortly after 4pm, and my son and I walked to the edge of Centennial to watch the fires as they moved down the mountain into Mountain Shadows. Within about 10 minutes, the winds shifted and shoved the thick, choking column of smoke down through our apartment complex.

We beat feet inside and I dove onto InciWeb to check pre-evacuation or evacuation status of our neighborhood. We topped off our previously packed bags and I tied a wet dishtowel around my face before checking with our neighbor upstairs to see how she was fairing.

Here's the part relevant to OCDO: As I was talking with her, an vehicle with lights ran through our parking lot blaring something unintelligible over its loudspeaker. I got to the parking lot about the same time it or its twin came through a second time. It stopped about ten feet from me, obviously unsure of what to do in the face of this masked gunman!

I pulled down the dish towel, gave him a thumbs up, twirled my index finger in the air for a second before pointing at him and sweeping to the open street in front of him.

He continued on.

My son and I grabbed our gear before helping our upstairs neighbor load up her car, then we left.

On the way out I tried to get to my parents place, but their neighborhood had been blocked off as well, so we took the next best course of action and proceeded to IHOP near N. Academy and I-25 for dinner!

Judging from the news footage this morning, my family's homes are safe, at least for the time being.

M-Taliesin

My family was among those at the base of the mountains that was placed under mandatory evac yesterday. We were literally watching flames coming down the mountain toward us as we drove away. We are still unsure as to the status of our home (just purchased and fully renovated in October of last year) at this time.

Howdy Pardner!
The most important thing is that your family stay safe. Losing a house can be devastating, but houses can be rebuilt.
Stay frosty, and keep everybody safe. I'll keep you in mind when I speak with Higher-Ups!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin, Bellum_Intus and others - thank you for your concerns!

Judging from the news footage this morning, my family's homes are safe, at least for the time being.

Howdy Pard!
Thanks for letting us know you are safe and well.
You did the right thing putting a dampened towel across your nose and mouth.
Maybe we ought to chip in and get you and your son a couple of shemaugs! LOL.
Much more stylish than a dish towel!
Hospitals in your area have been swamped with folks suffering smoke inhalation.

Keep us informed how things are going for you out there.

On a somewhat selfish note, when this the wildfires have been tamed, I need to get information from you about C-130s for a story I'm writing.
That can wait until some sort of normalcy returns after the fire fight.

Did CSPD take your offer to volunteer? It would be intersting if you do so, and are free to OC while doing so.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

Keens

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance to my fellow OC'ers!

Stay safe!

Keens

mahkagari

I pulled down the dish towel, gave him a thumbs up, twirled my index finger in the air for a second before pointing at him and sweeping to the open street in front of him.

Haven't had my caffeine. What was the twirling gesture?

mobiushky

I'm in Centennial right next to the Mall. Heck, I'm RIGHT next to IKEA. Looking out the south window of the office we can clearly see the smoke plume. Until about 30 mins ago it was a nebulous haze. Now it's a clearly defined smoke stack. Amazing.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Howdy Pard!
Thanks for letting us know you are safe and well.

:) I'm glad Polynikes made it out, too. The encouraging thing is that despite the smoke and fires, the vast majority of homes were saved.

You did the right thing putting a dampened towel across your nose and mouth.

It's an old trick I learned from watching old Westerns. :) It actually works quite well! I wouldn't fight a forest fire using that technique, though...

Maybe we ought to chip in and get you and your son a couple of shemaugs! LOL.

Like these? Thanks, but I have no plans to hang around in the smoke.

Much more stylish than a dish towel!

True... But if they're on the lookout for looters...

Hospitals in your area have been swamped with folks suffering smoke inhalation.

That's a good point. I certainly breathed in my fair share, and my jeans still wreak of it. With all the hiking my son and I have done, though, we're pretty healthy. It's those who're not and the elderly I worry about the most.

Keep us informed how things are going for you out there.

Wilco.

On a somewhat selfish note, when this the wildfires have been tamed, I need to get information from you about C-130s for a story I'm writing. That can wait until some sort of normalcy returns after the fire fight.

Or, since I'm bored out of my skull right now, just e-mail me the details. :) I'll send you my e-mail in a PM.

Did CSPD take your offer to volunteer? It would be intersting if you do so, and are free to OC while doing so.

Still going through the vetting process. Since it's this involved for mere volunteers, my confidence in those who're sworn officers has risen considerably.

As for OC while volunteering, it depends on the capacity. There are some things I can do while home, and of course I'll be either OCing or ready at hand. For the other opportunities, though, no. (shrugs) It is what it is. No, I don't like the fact that after protecting and defending the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic I'm being required to give up a right, especially if I'm volunteering my time. On the other hand, the building is a fort, and everyone who works there has gone through the same vetting process, so I'm not exactly in a high-threat situation, at least not one where a firearm would do me any good.

All in all, it's much the same for most people whose employers have restrictive anti-Constitutional policies. I'll OC as much as I can, but I won't break any rules to do so.

Bellum_Intus

Oh good lord... President Obummer will be 'visiting' us here in the Springs on Friday..

We don't want him here.. stay at the ... lol... the forum doesn't like me calling it the ... bag.... house ok?

--Rob

Last edited: