• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for people to join MOC OC shooting team...

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Hello all,

If you would be interested in Joining a shooting team please let me know via PM.

The idea is to have friendly pistol / small bore rifle matches against MOC teams from different area's and against other pro 2A groups (OCDO - MOC - MGO - CLSD - Mi Milt. etc). Hopefully in time we could even work in some advanced retention / combat / point shooting clinics too.

What better way to keep your skills sharp than to compete with fellow pro 2A folks?

Kind regards,

G9OS

Last edited:

Michigander

Sounds fantastic!

But I do have some concerns. Such as where, when, and what will the range time cost?

Also, in regards to the type of shooting done, to quote Shooting To Live, target shooting and combat shooting are as different as chalk and cheese. Doing both would be an enormous effort, and perhaps a counter productive one. From a practical standpoint, I think it might be better to focus only on combat type practice since we don't carry for punching holes in paper, especially for OCDO folks. MGO, and other more broad gun organizations seem like they'd be more akin to doing bullseye competition shooting.

It's not that I'm opposed to stationary sport shooting, just that I think it's broadly unrealistic for the needs of a non cop civilian pistol carrier wishing to stay competent with his or her shooting skills for realistic circumstances which he or she may face.

In any case, having a monthly or bi monthly, even quarterly shooting meet up could be pretty fun, regardless of what gets covered.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
@Michigander -

I understand your concerns.

Whenever possible the idea would be to use free or low cost venues. As to combat drill vs. target shooting - in my honest opinion anything is better than nothing :rolleyes:. Target shooting is what the majority of people who carry do because that is the only thing they have been allowed to do at their local ranges. While the weather permits - that could be changed given enough time for planning at one of the few outdoor MI venues that allow it.

Let's get the ball rolling first and worry about kicking for the goal once we are across the mid-field line aye?

:p

scot623

I think it's a great idea. I would love to advance myself in this, I've never really had an opportunity to train with anyone, and as a result, there is a lot I have to learn.

You better look to join someone else bud, you'll never be a part of MOC...in any capacity. At least you'll have your sand-filled 5 gallon bucket to shoot into.

scot623

You had to say something, I don't blame you.

You would not want to be proven wrong, it's the only power you have over me, and you will wield it like most in authority do.

It's not about power. It's about protecting an organization I care about very much that does very good things. To let a person like you who constantly shows awful judgement be a part of it would be derelict of duty on my part. Newsflash, my term as MOC VP is up in 3 weeks...we'll see if any of the other board members want you to be a part of MOC.

Last edited:

Michigander

I do not think that a basic target range will provide any notable quantities of practical skill, unless we can get permission to utilize it in a non conventional way, such as getting ahead of the line 1 person at a time. Provided some accommodations can be made, it seems decently feasible.

Outdoor venues are good too, but only those which can be reserved just for a group. Ideally, for any more than a few people to do practical defensive shooting, a 180 degree horse shoe shaped sand pit range should be used. They do exist around here, but normally I just use my little state land spot, so I don't know much about what's commercially available.

Last edited:

WilDChilD

Choo Choo

Lets bring this train back on track. I would find it fun to have a bi monthly or quarterly shoot with you guys. Needs to be some what centered. And Not in detroit or anything in the yellow part of a map by detroit.

Small_Arms_Collector

Hello all,

If you would be interested in Joining a shooting team please let me know via PM.

The idea is to have friendly pistol / small bore rifle matches against MOC teams from different area's and against other pro 2A groups (OCDO - MOC - MGO - CLSD - Mi Milt. etc). Hopefully in time we could even work in some advanced retention / combat / point shooting clinics too.

What better way to keep your skills sharp than to compete with fellow pro 2A folks?

Kind regards,

G9OS

Do you have any kind of organization set up for this, meaning are other groups already forming?, also how will these matches be coordinated? I'm in as long as it's reasonably close, and low, or no cost (Including round count depending on the caliber). I'm an instructor, and I wouldn't even mind helping to set something up in terms of organizing, stage design, etc.

Some points though, I would suggest "combat" style shooting to target shooting as it's more in common with what we do (carrying for defense), also it should be set up along the lines of IDPA, and 3 Gun, in that regular daily carry gear, and realistic tactics should be used so that it can also serve as training, and not price people out.

FerretMI

I'd love to do some "combat" shooting courses. Count me in if you get it up and running.

Waterborne

I am in on this for sure. Do you need help with anything to get this going?

ETA: My wife would like in on this too!

Last edited:

HKcarrier

I would likely take part... can't guarantee though.. Would have to be based on if I had kiddies or not.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I wouldn't mind giving it a try. But I'm not what you'd call a precision shooter. I aim for the body, and if I hit, I consider that a win. :)

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Hi all,

This was an idea I breifly spoke about with some of the leaders of pro 2A groups at the recent Constitutional carry rally in Lansing. Right now we just need to know how many are interested, where you are roughly, and contact info. I Know privacy is important to all here. Thus the PM request @ the top of the thread. Once I get your PM I will send my contact info, from there you can contact me as time permits & we'll go from there. I type about 6min per word so we can go into detail on the tele... :eek:

Last edited:

OC for ME

Any private land owners that would/could permit a combat shooting environment? One of the benefits of a combat shooting environment is that warm up stationary shooting can be accomplished.

Any state owned (state park) unmanned shooting rangers available? If a certified Range Master were available it may be possible for a combat course to be given or competitions to be held if scrupulously controlled. Ya might even get some LEOs to join or at least participate occasionally.

We have a few of these state owned unmanned ranges scattered around Missouri.