• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just a poll

J_Oliver

I have access to 19 acres of mostly cleared semifarm land in McLeansville. I'm considering an outdoor range day hosted there and I want to see who would be interested. It probably won't be until august or september, and we'll pick a definitive date as I figure out more details. I don't have many target stands, paper or steel plates so I would need a hand with it, but I can provide a few thousand rounds of .223 and 9mm on top of whatever you guys bring. Would anyone be interested? There will be anywhere from 7 to 1k yd. Targets. Food will be provided.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

rdinatal

That's a generous offer. Depending the day and if it's into the cooler season (under 80deg) I'll be up for it.

Able to bring:
10x10 1/2" AR500
4x4 1/2" AR500

-R

J_Oliver

That's a generous offer. Depending the day and if it's into the cooler season (under 80deg) I'll be up for it.

Able to bring:
10x10 1/2" AR500
4x4 1/2" AR500

-R

I'm actually waiting for it to cool down, I just wanted to get a general idea of what I'm working with. I've never really done this before either, so anyone with experience hosting and setting up these type of events feel free to contact me. I'm flying blind here til I get closer to a definite date. Any steel targets or paper target stands anyone can bring would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

dashowdy

Is this somewhere you are going too shoot semi regularly or just once in a while. I know you can get pistol grade steel at lowes for a descent price usaully target size and gauge. For rifles I would build some stands out of 1x3 legs and a piece of 2'x2' plywood and just keep several sheets on hand to swap out once a piece has too many holes. Maybe even set up some swinging cans of various sizes, you can do a lot of targets for cheap with stuff you would normally throw out every day. I would be able to bring some 9mm and 7.62x39 and 12 gauge wax slugs.

J_Oliver

This is gonna be a one-time thing. Hopefully, the turnout will justify doing it more often. I personally shoot out there a couple of times a month. I shoot paper targets cause I can print them out as needed for free. I have never shot steel plates, soooo what kinda steel should I get? I'm darn handy with cutters and welders and could fix something up real nice.

dashowdy

anything a 1/4 in. or thicker I would think could do the job for pistols, rifles on the other hand your talking some serious steel to handle the abuse of rifle rounds. The great thing is steel is cheap but why spend the money for the first time, If you can get your hands on some from say a scrap yard or recycling center then go for it. But for all intensive purposes to start out you can make some damn good targets with basic materials and some left over large size soup cans, I can usually get 100 rounds out of a can before it needs switching. I would figure it least 2 sets of 10 or so can targets or just go with the good old 1x3 and plywod targets like they use at my county range. The last time I built one of my wood targets I think with everything it cost maybe 8 bucks for a target stand at the most.

moonie

I'd love to get together, depending on the weekend could bring some of my kids as well.

Please keep us informed of the progress on this and anything we can do to help facilitate it.

Doesn't look like to long a trek from High Point for us.

Racer X

I would definitely be interested in coming and could probably bring another 2-3 people (all respectable experienced guys...just not on this forum) with me depending on the date. I have a weird work schedule. It would really be nice to have a long enough range to play with the .220 Swifts I can get my hands on.

bc.cruiser

This is a darn nice offer. I would certainly make the trip. I can bring some 9mm, and also a Sako Finnbear .300WM if there'll be some masochists in attendance.:lol:

A line between a couple of trees or post with swinging targets (cans or plastic bottles ((water or exploding)) could be used in addition to stands. What kind of background is there for containing the long range stuff?

Once you decide on a day, a word to the neighbors may be in order.....

J_Oliver

This is a darn nice offer. I would certainly make the trip. I can bring some 9mm, and also a Sako Finnbear .300WM if there'll be some masochists in attendance.:lol:

A line between a couple of trees or post with swinging targets (cans or plastic bottles ((water or exploding)) could be used in addition to stands.

Once you decide on a day, a word to the neighbors may be in order.....

What kind of background is there for containing the long range stuff?

10-12 acres for distance targets plus thick forest for another couple acres (would I still need a berm at that distance?). Hopefully I can get a hold of some exploding target mix for those hanging bottles...

I'll give the .300 WM a shot...once...

At this point I'm shooting (pun intended) for end of september/ beginning of october. That'll give me time to get my first AR build complete and get all the details and RSVP's taken care of. Any objections to that date? And RSO's care to volunteer?

Last edited:

spinks8824

I'd be intrested to come as well I've been wanting to strech the range of my PSL and see how far it'll shoot, and I have close to 1000 rds of 54r if anyone wants to shoot some of that. btw J_Oliver would your name be Justin, cuz it says your from haw river and I went to high school with a Justin Oliver, just wonderin if its you.

J_Oliver

I'd be intrested to come as well I've been wanting to strech the range of my PSL and see how far it'll shoot, and I have close to 1000 rds of 54r if anyone wants to shoot some of that. btw J_Oliver would your name be Justin, cuz it says your from haw river and I went to high school with a Justin Oliver, just wonderin if its you.

Unfortunatly not. It Joshua Oliver, grew up in chapel hill, been in Greensboro for about 5 years and just moved to haw river about six months ago. I'm actually about to move back to Greensboro in a few weeks. Hooray for old friends though!

SevenSlugs

I have access to 19 acres of mostly cleared semifarm land in McLeansville. I'm considering an outdoor range day hosted there and I want to see who would be interested. It probably won't be until august or september, and we'll pick a definitive date as I figure out more details. I don't have many target stands, paper or steel plates so I would need a hand with it, but I can provide a few thousand rounds of .223 and 9mm on top of whatever you guys bring. Would anyone be interested? There will be anywhere from 7 to 1k yd. Targets. Food will be provided.

I'm interested for sure!

J_Oliver

Okay, so it appears to me that either 5 or so people and family will show up, OR, when I pick a definitive date 500 people will show up. Somebody's gotta have some input somewhere.