• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need to make a FOIA request, Anyone got a template or guidelines available?

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
Like I said, I hope Nutczak submits the request to every place/person he can think of, and then submits a second request pertaining to his name.

If for no other reason than to let the government know we are watching.

The Wisconsin Supreme Court last week delivered a major victory to advocates of open government, which means the vast majority of us.

The only ones not to benefit from the court's ruling are public agencies that seek to erect roadblocks in the path of the public's right to unfettered access to public records.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel filed a lawsuit against the Milwaukee Police Department in 2010 after the department said it would charge more than $4,500 for reports the newspaper sought about a number of offenses. In addition, police said it would take more than nine months to comply with the request because it had to redact information from many of the reports.

The department, according to the newspaper, "was not flat-out denying access to the records, (but) the cost and length of time to get them essentially served the same purpose."

The state Supreme Court ruled, point blank and unanimously, that government entities can't charge the public for time spent deleting confidential information from records. Period.

Milwaukee police are not unique in attempts to stonewall or excessively delay records requests through charging exorbitant fees. Most of the requests are from the media, but citizens also have been thwarted in such efforts. Public records are just that -- public -- not something to dangle on a string and quickly pull away when it is just within reach. Nor are public records to be considered just another revenue stream for government agencies.

Chief Justice Shirley Abrahamson realized this when she said in the ruling: "The statutory text does not allow the imposition of a broad array of fees for any and every cost incurred by an authority. If the legislature had wanted to allow an authority to impose fees for a broad range of tasks, or if it had wanted to include the task of redaction as a task for which fees may be imposed, it would have said so."

In other words, the public records law is clear in prohibiting governments from imposing extraneous charges for access to public records.

We are not blind to the dangers implicit in the ruling. Justice David Prosser fears the decision will lead to malicious and frivolous records requests for vast amounts of data, and other justices say government might be too short-staffed to meet such requests.

Both are legitimate concerns. The right of the public to know and to have access to the workings of government far outweigh them, however. The Supreme Court knows that, and ruled correctly in favor of the broader right to transparency and open government.

Sheboygan Press

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
I had a discussion with an officer from the same town about this incident, and I have determined that the entire department is rotten from the top down!!

I was informed that the officers are told "THEY DO NOT NEED PROBABLE CAUSE" that suspicion is valid reason for an investigatory stop. To the point of being told that if I am, Or anyone else is seen drinking from something as benign as a Styrofoam cup while driving or even walking that I will be stopped no matter if there is no corroborating evidence, reasonable articulate suspicion, or probable cause to confirm their weak suspicion!

My reply was less than courteous and I made it very clear that harassment of this nature will not be tolerated.

I am going to leave this discussion where it sits right now due to the public nature of this forum, and wait to see exactly what type of schitt-storm they want to bring down upon themselves.

The funny part, during my stop, I had at least 6 loaded 30-round AR mags on my dash, a box of 55-grain V-Max projectiles, and various other shooting supplies in plain view. Yet they never even noticed any of that due to their focus on a glass soda bottle laying on the passenger side floor.

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

They don't need probable cause for a stop. They need 'reasonable articulatable suspicion' that a crime is, has or is about to occur.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

MKEgal

Nutczak said:
The funny part, during my stop, I had at least 6 loaded 30-round AR mags on my dash, a box of 55-grain V-Max projectiles, and various other shooting supplies in plain view. Yet they never even noticed any of that due to their focus on a glass soda bottle laying on the passenger side floor.
:eek: They still make those??
They're so unusual, and gun stuff is now normal, that it makes sense they'd focus on the bottle.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
They don't need probable cause for a stop. They need 'reasonable articulatable suspicion' that a crime is, has or is about to occur.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Drinking from an unmarked container is not, and cannot possibly be considered reasonable articulate suspicion, Maybe if there was other behavior observed to corroborate that it may be a beverage that contains alcohol, such as a clearly identifiable label in plain view, or showing obvious physical impairment, that MIGHT make for RAS.
But! without any other evidence of what is in a container, they can take a sweet suck on a centrally located appendage on my lower body.

Lets look at the people who place place a beer can in a paper bag to consume them while driving, since the label cannot be seen, and if they are showing no other evidence that it is a beverage that contains alcohol, there is no probable, there is no RAS. They may suspect, but they do not have reasonable articulate suspicion nor probable cause.
There has to be some other evidence to make this a proper legal investigatory stop/detainment/search/seizure without going afoul of the 4th amendment.

davidmcbeth

Banned
there no form or format ... but I do like to add a definitions section ... I'll plunk it down here:
I've had people say "I had no idea you were looking for minutes of meetings" then I just say: can't read?

DEFINITIONS
As used herein, the term "document" is used in the broadest sense and includes, but is not limited to, the following items, whether hand-written or typed or printed or recorded or reproduced by any process or whether stored electronically or in any other format, namely: .agreements; communications (including intra-company communications); memos; emails; statements; notes (whether formal or informal); correspondence; telegrams; cables; telexes, faxes; telephonically transmitted tangible communications; memoranda; records; books; summaries or records of telephone conversations; telephone message slips (including those which indicate only that a call was received or made); summaries or records of conversations or interviews; diaries; appointment books; desk calendars; wall calendars; forecasts; statistical statements; accountants work papers; graphs; charts; accounts; minutes or records of meetings or conferences; reports and/or summaries or interviews; reports and/or summaries of investigations; items published in a newspaper or other publication; pencil or scratch pad notes; records; reports or summaries of negotiations; studies; brochures; pamphlets; circulars; press releases; contracts; notes; projections; all drafts of any documents; working papers; copies; marginal notations; photographs; drawings; checks (front and back); tape recordings and transcripts thereof; video recordings; e-mails, computer printouts; check stubs or receipts; invoices; letters and correspondence (including file copies thereof); any other documents or writings or papers or printed text of whatever description. The term "document" is further defined to include any attachments or other matters affixed thereto. The term "document" also means the original and any non-identical copy. Any notations, comments or alterations on any copy renders it non-identical and require production