• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Virginia Gun Laws Taking Effect July 1st, 2012

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Once again, the Virginia Citizens Defense League has delivered for Virginia gun owners. Thanks to the tireless efforts of VCDL activists, the 2012 Legislative Session was even more of a rousing success than the 2011 Session. Not only was every single anti-gun bill opposed by VCDL defeated but the session ended with almost a dozen VCDL supported bills passed by the Legislature and signed by Governor McDonnell.

These important changes will take effect on July 1st …

VApatriot

The repeal of one-gun-a-month obviously got all the media and anti attention this year, and I'm very happy to see it go, but my personal favorite from this year was HB26, which greatly reduces the possible penalty for carrying concealed without your permit on you. It's good to know that you'll no longer be facing years worth of problems for forgetting your wallet at home.

TFred

The repeal of one-gun-a-month obviously got all the media and anti attention this year, and I'm very happy to see it go, but my personal favorite from this year was HB26, which greatly reduces the possible penalty for carrying concealed without your permit on you. It's good to know that you'll no longer be facing years worth of problems for forgetting your wallet at home.
I agree! But I may be a little bit biased. The "soundbite" used during the subcommittee meetings for this one was, "It shouldn't be a 'gun crime' to forget your wallet at home on the dresser."

Even though we could not identify any prior abuses of this, it's a relief to know that you won't be able to fall victim to an anti-gun LEO with an attitude some day.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Yes, as the site says...we're looking at the 2013 session. Hopefully the "P" word won't come up as often.

I've been discussing several bills with legislators already. One is polishing the brandishing statute and several of us have been pressing VCDL on a few bills and are prepared to try to get them in if they don't end up on VCDL's platter.

There is a lot to be done.

2a4all

Once again, the Virginia Citizens Defense League has delivered for Virginia gun owners. Thanks to the tireless efforts of VCDL activists, the 2012 Legislative Session was even more of a rousing success than the 2011 Session. Not only was every single anti-gun bill opposed by VCDL defeated but the session ended with almost a dozen VCDL supported bills passed by the Legislature and signed by Governor McDonnell.

These important changes will take effect on July 1st …

However, not everyone supports these new laws:

[h=1]Virginia top cops call for stricter gun background checks[/h]RICHMOND— Just days before the repeal of the state's one-handgun-a-monthpurchase restriction goes into effect, the Virginia Association of Chiefs of Police met with U.S. Senate candidates to urge them to strengthen federal background check laws.
At a press conference following the closed-door meetings with former Govs. George Allen (R) and Tim Kaine (D), who are both seeking to replace retiring Sen. Jim Webb, representatives of the VACP said they urged the candidates to work to strengthen federal background checks for firearms purchases to include secondary sales, such as those made at gun shows and between private parties.

See this for the full story.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/poli...s-20120626,0,6872066.story#tugs_story_display

TFred

Has anyone published any numbers on how many guns used in actual crimes were obtained via private sales?

It would seem to me that this data must exist, or at least the raw numbers that would yield the data with a minimum of effort.

(If it wasn't bought via a dealer or reported stolen...)

TFred

The Wolfhound

Now that was a good question....

TFred, you just hit on something and when NO DATA comes forward to support a claim by an anti, it, in my experience, means it does not and never has existed. The antis will never fail to bludgeon us with anything that MIGHT support their position, no matter how much of a stretch it takes to try and make the connection. I am certain that someone will foolishly sell a firearm to a "prohibited person", but it must be rare or the claims of frequency would be screamed from the rooftops. Our "betters" always seem to know what is good for us......... usually in our losing liberty.

Last edited:

WhatTimeIsIt?

Repealing "one gun a month" is a big accomplishment. I'm very happy to see that go; there's something very wrong with the government telling people how many guns they can buy. Some of the other changes are pretty nice too, I particularly like that not having your concealed handgun permit with you will no longer be like not having one at all. I think the biggest change I'd like to see next in VA's gun laws would be constitutional carry.

Thundar

Here we go again....

However, not everyone supports these new laws:

[h=1]Virginia top cops call for stricter gun background checks[/h]RICHMOND— Just days before the repeal of the state's one-handgun-a-monthpurchase restriction goes into effect, the Virginia Association of Chiefs of Police met with U.S. Senate candidates to urge them to strengthen federal background check laws.
At a press conference following the closed-door meetings with former Govs. George Allen (R) and Tim Kaine (D), who are both seeking to replace retiring Sen. Jim Webb, representatives of the VACP said they urged the candidates to work to strengthen federal background checks for firearms purchases to include secondary sales, such as those made at gun shows and between private parties.

See this for the full story.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/poli...s-20120626,0,6872066.story#tugs_story_display

Timmy fully supports the JBTs, - No private sales at gun shows is a good idea.:banghead:

George Allen does not say specifically what he will do.:uhoh:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
That's three posts in a row Thundar.
Welcome back to the trenches, you were missed!

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
Fauquier Co. now compliant...

Fauquier Co. has updated their CHP requirements page, eliminating the requirement for fingerprinting for first-timers & the requirement for multiple copies. They also specify that the application can be mailed.

Glad to see they've managed to do this in a timely fashion...

Roscoe

Last edited: