• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What are your favorite "LIBERTY"or "HUMOROUS" quotes ? Mine are:

NAVYBLUE

The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
Patrick Henry

"The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun."
"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?"
PATRICK HENRY

March 23, 1775:
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
PATRICK HENRY

It is better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are stupid
Than to open your mouth and remove all doubt
My Mother

Michael, I swear to God if you go down to the river swimming and drown I will beat you to within an inch of your life
My Mother

NAVYBLUE

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Permit me, Sir, to add another circumstance in our colonies, which contributes no mean part towards the growth and effect of this untractable spirit. I mean their education. In no country perhaps in the world is the law so general a study....

...This study renders men acute, inquisitive, dexterous, prompt in attack, ready in defence, full of resources. In other countries, the people, more simple, and of a less mercurial cast, judge of an ill principle in government only by an actual grievance; here they anticipate the evil, and judge of the pressure of the grievance by the badness of the principle. They augur misgovernment at a distance; and snuff the approach of tyranny in every tainted breeze.
(bold emphasis added by Citizen)

Edmund Burke, speech to Parliament on Conciliation with the American colonies, Mar 22, 1775

Excerpted from paragraph 6 http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/founders/documents/v1ch1s2.html

By the way, that website is stuffed full of Founder quotes, letters, and comments. For example, we attribute to Thomas Jefferson the metaphor of a "wall of separation" between church and state. Historians attribute this to him because he wrote it in a letter to the Danbury Baptist Association. You can read the text of the letter at that website.

Last edited: