• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

taurus 605 polymer?

boomer92266

anyone with any experience with these?, on you tube it seems to be about 50-50 on their quality. but i wanted other opinions on it as i can get one for $20 less than a blue and $40 less than a stainless 605. thanks

jpm84092

I own two of them, both in stainless steel, and the wife carries the hammerless version. I find the trigger to be smooth in DA and very nice in SA, but the kick can be a bit much if using full load .357. The use of 38 Special is really manageable. They are a good little gun for the money.

jegoodin

anyone with any experience with these?, on you tube it seems to be about 50-50 on their quality. but i wanted other opinions on it as i can get one for $20 less than a blue and $40 less than a stainless 605. thanks

I have the .38sp+P, its a great gun. Very light, easy to carry. Comfortable to shoot.

WalkingWolf

Any gun can have issues, including the top brands. Check the warranty, and the service, before you buy.

One thing to remember is that two inches of barrel is not much to develop the velocity to make round effective. Check the web for the ballistics of 38 spl and even 357 from two inches. You will find that a 380 out of a 3 inch barrel actually beats the 38 on stats or close to it.

We have a snub revolver, as well as a couple 380's, they are guns that are carried for deep concealment. The rest of the time we have guns with longer barrels that make full use of the powder.

With a snub, I suggest a heavy SWC, forget the hollow point it means nothing. Less velocity but the heavy bullet makes better use of the pressure to give more energy. Basically the bullet stays in the barrel longer burning more powder, higher pressure. I use 160 gr pure lead round flat nose over a relative quick powder(Universal Clays) with extreme accuracy out of the snub. I have encountered no leading from the pure lead bullets, but then they are oversize.

There are a few companies that make factory loads that are designed for the snub nose if you do not want to reload. The FBI load when they used revolvers was a 158 gr SWC HP +P, pretty much the same as my load with a hollow point. Again you have to reach a relative high velocity for a hollow point to work. OTOH pure lead flattens even at lower velocity when it hits a obstruction.

Last edited: