• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Keens and Me... Another Cop Encounter??? Are You Kidding Me?

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
Earlier in the day, I chatted with Keens through IM and text messages. I had to meet up with a client in order to receive papers to serve on a defendant, but Keens has been having some personal issues and I wanted to be available for him to talk with.

We ended up meeting at a McD's at Smokey Hill and Himilaya St, and sat down to lunch together. We talked about a whole bunch of different things, including stuff we've seen on the forum or discussions we were involved in. Because of his own decision, Keens wasn't OC'ing, and I joked in a text message "That's okay, I'll protect you!"
(*Gee, I should be careful about jesting, because somebody might think its serious and all, like the expensive hat thing wasn't.)

Anyhow, the lady I was to meet arrived and we greeted her outside. She gave me the summons and we talked a bit about the process of getting the defendant served. Keens was interested in tagging along, so we headed off to make the serve. Long story short, the guy moved out and there is somebody living there who is renting the house. No problem. I'll just need to do some investigating to nail him down. I'll get him soon enough, because I just won't quit until I've done the job.

On the way back to McD's, Keens had questions about the work of a process server, and about bounting hunting too. When we got back to our cars, I showed him some of the stuff I use when bounty hunting. At one point, I demonstrated how an ASP baton works, and tapped him gently with it to demonstrate appropriate areas to strike. The idea being, not to break bones but simply cause large muscle groups to spasm and neutralize the ability of a BG to stand and fight.

The baton was back in the Jeep and Keens and I were chatting when I noticed a squad car behind my vehicle and two cops approaching as though they were attempting to sneak up on us. I walked around the back of the Jeep and gave them a jovial "Howdy fellas! Whats up?"
"Well, was that an ASP baton you were handling?" One deputy asked. "Yes it was." I replied. "I was demonstrating some of the tools we might use in an apprehension."
The cop (who appeared to be the senior of the duo) looked at my badge. "What outfit are you with?" he asked.
"I'm a bounty hunter with the Department of Fugitive Recovery and Colorado Bounty Hunter LLC!" I responded almost merrily.
The officer looked at my 1911. "We notice you are carrying a sidearm, and that's okay. We were concerned about the baton."

Now I'm gonna just step aside from the story to note how ironic it seemed to me that they were just fine with my carrying a handgun, but concerned about handing a stick!

"Well sir, I've put it up. As I mentioned, I was demonstrating it for my pardner here."
"We're amazed we haven't gotten any calls about it, but this is a pretty public place and it might have seemed you were assaulting this other gentleman".
"You know deputy. I didn't even think about that. I thought we were pretty closed between these two Jeeps but I understand your point and thank you for bringing that to my attention!" at which point I extended my hand and he shook it. "Be careful out there fellas!" I said as I shook the 2nd deputy's hand.
At which point, I turned away and went right back to chatting with Keens.
They stood there for a moment then moved off to their patrol car.
Keens asked "Is that about normal for a police encounter."
"Yep", I replied. "No big deal. and no real problems. Just a mini-meet beside the street. We were not breaking any laws, so all they had was a 'howdy'."
As Keens and I chatted merrily in the 104 degree heat, they got in their car and drove away.

After a few more minutes of conversation, Keens and I parted company and I headed home to the wife.
In text messages back and forth, we thought the episode was pretty funny.
Especially when I essentially dismissed the deputies with a 'thank you and stay safe out there' handshake before going back to doing what I had been before they arrived.
We got a laugh out of it.
And there's that thread of irony again that I've been seeing more and more lately:
Earlier in the day, Keens had been talking about not having met a cop while OC'ing.
He wondered how to handle such an encounter.
Then, as if on queue, we had us an encounter.
What are the odds of that?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Keens

I'm still laughing about that encounter! It looked as if the deputies were admiring M-T's beautiful new 1911 and possibly were even a little bummed they weren't carrying something nice like he has. It was pretty amazing they were more concerned about a baton than a gun! The best part, it helped ease my fears on what to do when I get my first LEO encounter while OC'ing. It's true like M-T has said many times, as well as others, it's not that big a deal. I've had a Swat officer looking at my OC'ed sidearm at a gun shop before, he didn't say anything. And a Weld County deputy near me in a truck stop in Hudson, I don't think he noticed at all. But this was the first encounter I've seen on OC. Now that I know what to expect, it has put me at ease about what to do if/when I get a contact while I am armed. Thanks M for meeting me yesterday!Keens

rushcreek2

The most valuable ingredient that I take away from your situation is the maneuver to POLITELY, and RESPECTFULLY withdraw from a LE contact/encounter and RESUME the in-progress private encounter that had been interrupted for presumptive "probable cause" of curiosity. "Your session has now expired"- comes to mind. It also demonstrates the opportunity that such encounters present to provide some balance to the usually one-sided nature of LEO encounters.

A dancer who only dances with him/herself to his/her own "music" will not succeed on the public square dance floor. This applies to LEO's as well. They must learn to "dance" with the citizens they are sworn to serve, and to the tempo of the constitutions they are sworn to uphold.

Gunslinger

Howdy Folks!
Earlier in the day, I chatted with Keens through IM and text messages. I had to meet up with a client in order to receive papers to serve on a defendant, but Keens has been having some personal issues and I wanted to be available for him to talk with.

We ended up meeting at a McD's at Smokey Hill and Himilaya St, and sat down to lunch together. We talked about a whole bunch of different things, including stuff we've seen on the forum or discussions we were involved in. Because of his own decision, Keens wasn't OC'ing, and I joked in a text message "That's okay, I'll protect you!"
(*Gee, I should be careful about jesting, because somebody might think its serious and all, like the expensive hat thing wasn't.)

Anyhow, the lady I was to meet arrived and we greeted her outside. She gave me the summons and we talked a bit about the process of getting the defendant served. Keens was interested in tagging along, so we headed off to make the serve. Long story short, the guy moved out and there is somebody living there who is renting the house. No problem. I'll just need to do some investigating to nail him down. I'll get him soon enough, because I just won't quit until I've done the job.

On the way back to McD's, Keens had questions about the work of a process server, and about bounting hunting too. When we got back to our cars, I showed him some of the stuff I use when bounty hunting. At one point, I demonstrated how an ASP baton works, and tapped him gently with it to demonstrate appropriate areas to strike. The idea being, not to break bones but simply cause large muscle groups to spasm and neutralize the ability of a BG to stand and fight.

The baton was back in the Jeep and Keens and I were chatting when I noticed a squad car behind my vehicle and two cops approaching as though they were attempting to sneak up on us. I walked around the back of the Jeep and gave them a jovial "Howdy fellas! Whats up?"
"Well, was that an ASP baton you were handling?" One deputy asked. "Yes it was." I replied. "I was demonstrating some of the tools we might use in an apprehension."
The cop (who appeared to be the senior of the duo) looked at my badge. "What outfit are you with?" he asked.
"I'm a bounty hunter with the Department of Fugitive Recovery and Colorado Bounty Hunter LLC!" I responded almost merrily.
The officer looked at my 1911. "We notice you are carrying a sidearm, and that's okay. We were concerned about the baton."

Now I'm gonna just step aside from the story to note how ironic it seemed to me that they were just fine with my carrying a handgun, but concerned about handing a stick!

"Well sir, I've put it up. As I mentioned, I was demonstrating it for my pardner here."
"We're amazed we haven't gotten any calls about it, but this is a pretty public place and it might have seemed you were assaulting this other gentleman".
"You know deputy. I didn't even think about that. I thought we were pretty closed between these two Jeeps but I understand your point and thank you for bringing that to my attention!" at which point I extended my hand and he shook it. "Be careful out there fellas!" I said as I shook the 2nd deputy's hand.
At which point, I turned away and went right back to chatting with Keens.
They stood there for a moment then moved off to their patrol car.
Keens asked "Is that about normal for a police encounter."
"Yep", I replied. "No big deal. and no real problems. Just a mini-meet beside the street. We were not breaking any laws, so all they had was a 'howdy'."
As Keens and I chatted merrily in the 104 degree heat, they got in their car and drove away.

After a few more minutes of conversation, Keens and I parted company and I headed home to the wife.
In text messages back and forth, we thought the episode was pretty funny.
Especially when I essentially dismissed the deputies with a 'thank you and stay safe out there' handshake before going back to doing what I had been before they arrived.
We got a laugh out of it.
And there's that thread of irony again that I've been seeing more and more lately:
Earlier in the day, Keens had been talking about not having met a cop while OC'ing.
He wondered how to handle such an encounter.
Then, as if on queue, we had us an encounter.
What are the odds of that?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

What town were you in and what agency were the cops?

mahkagari

Not to cross threads, but does that mean Keens was okay with the Elbert fire? Rumor is there's another one in my neck of the woods in Boulder, but we just had a good down pour.

Keens

Not to cross threads, but does that mean Keens was okay with the Elbert fire? Rumor is there's another one in my neck of the woods in Boulder, but we just had a good down pour.

Hello, I'm okay the fire is quiet a ways down south but the smoke is pretty strong at my house. Actually, I'm getting smoke from both the Elbert fire and the Waldo Fire. We can bug out if we have to if the smoke gets unbearable.

Blessings,

Keens (Greg)

M-Taliesin

What town were you in and what agency were the cops?

Howdy Gunslinger!
We were in Centennial's territory, and the deputies were from Araphoe County.
They appeared almost bewildered when I thanked them for providing their advice as I shook their hands then turned away to chat with Keens, as I had been doing.
I suppose they are not accustomed to being dismissed as I did to them.
Hey, their original purpose that might fit RAS had been satisfied, I wasn't in the act of committing a crime or likely to be committing any in the near term, so their business with me as over, so I just went back to what I was doing and returned my attention to my companion.

Even funnier was how they were skulking around behind my Jeep, trying to be sneaky as they approached and almost surprised when I came toward them. I got the feeling I took them by surprise. If I had been a bad guy, and already had a gun drawn, they would have been in a real bad situation because I surprised them.

It sure is a good thing for them that I'm an LAC!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mahkagari

Well, looks like the downpour might have started the fire with lightning instead of helping put them out. *sigh* Hue Tlaloc, thy will be done.

A few miles south of my office is on pre-evac. I can see the flames licking over the flatirons out my window I've packed my office valuables in a padded envelope and have printed out the latest phone tree info for the company's disaster plan.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Mahk!
Yeah, but you know how things are in Colorado. I've seen it rain like mad on one side of Colfax, without a drop falling on the other side.
Last year we came home in a downpour that was drenching everything from the eastbound 2 lanes and south of them, while the westbound lanes were bone dry.

There is a burn happening on Flagstaff, which indeed is near Boulder.

Wow, do we need some rain. As it turns out, we just got a thunderstorm warning from the weather service

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

rushcreek2

I use the "dance floor" analogy a lot, I know - because I think it touches upon the essence of our effort. Over my years I've accrued a few helpful "dance steps" that appear to serve me well whenever I make my way on to the public "dance floor".

I recall a book written back around the 1980's -entitled "The B.S. Syndrome". The author focused on how perverse B.S. is within our society. It involves an art form - much like the acting profession - through which SUCCESSFUL people achieve their objectives. 95 percent of "reality" in the final analysis is the PERCEPTION of those involved - an axiom stressed throughout law enforcement circles. We should apply these principles as well.

Keens

Well, looks like the downpour might have started the fire with lightning instead of helping put them out. *sigh* Hue Tlaloc, thy will be done.

A few miles south of my office is on pre-evac. I can see the flames licking over the flatirons out my window I've packed my office valuables in a padded envelope and have printed out the latest phone tree info for the company's disaster plan.

Stay safe and I hope for the best for you! I just got home, the smoke is pretty strong here and it's even in the house. Gets any worse we will bug out. I'm off to the Elizabeth Walmart, OC'ing my .40 of course, to get some groceries and some vitamins. I pray for those of you who are being affected by the fires.

Keens

wmodavis

I think Mel calls in his LEO friends when he's out OC with us new guys.
Whether that is true or not (and it is not) he does help train both the new and the LEO in the ways of OCing.