Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do if someone grabbed your weapon??

What would you do if someone grabbed your weapon??

I should restate that for the more juvenile of our readers.
    What would you do (effectivly) if someone grabbed your weapon (the one on the belt holster by your side, with the bullets in it)??

I have my Sweet Baboo test any new holsters that I use to look for faults in retention. What about the guy that actually attempts a "gun grab" and actually puts his or her hand on the weapon itself? I use the elbow check and I try to keep aware of my surroundings, but there is always a chance that an idiot would attempt it. I got this in this mornings email and I thought I would share, what I think, is a good operational technique. Yes, it would depend upon the situation. I do not think I would rip the arm out of the socket of a little old lady with misguided intentions. But, for the squeamish, think about it, you would shoot a guy but not break his arm? Your thoughts?

http://www.policeone.com/police-prod...trol-Concepts/
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

My response would be immediate, agressive, and violent. Obviously I'm not talking about beating somebody. I'm talking about incapacitation. I cannot say what the exact response would be as situation dictates.

I have often wondered about other people that carry. I'm sure most spend as much time at the range as they can but what about unarmed combat? How many people on here routinely practice whatever form of combatives they choose? I think this is something most people overlook. I know for a fact how physically and emotionally draining unarmed combat can be. It's not like in the movies where the hero dukes it out for minutes. You're lucky to get one minute of productive energy in a fight. You have to condition yourself for the possibility that you will be unable to utilize your primary weapon.

I too use the elbow check. My elbow rarely leaves that position when I am out.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

A couple of years ago, somebody tried a gun grab. He was a nut who didn't know how to act around a citizen with a firearm. Back then I was very new to OC so the only thing I could think of was to secure my weapon with one hand while twisting my strong side away from him while taking a couple of steps back -- and shouting "HANDS OFF!" He didn't get a full hand on it and I reacted before he could get that far.

Now, I have better holsters and a couple of quick, easy, and painful moves I picked up from somebody I know in the Marines. I don't have the strength to elbow someone hard enough so they get the point. I can however twist the arm and deal a swift push or knock him down. If someone tries to grab my weapon the first thing I want is distance and then try to retreat or otherwise disengage if practicable in case he tries to press his attack.
    Last edited by acmariner99; 06-26-2012 at 03:58 PM.

Well.... I DID take some boxing back in 04-05, so I may require to bring up THOSE skills if I had no choice, otherwise, a simple few elbow checks would get the job done. Never had much other sort of combat experience.

You guys are misunderstanding what the elbow check is. It's not for fighting. It's for retention.
    Example: You are right hand dominant and wear your firearm on your right hip. You position your elbow to maintain contact with your weapon. Helps to ensure that even if retention is bypassed then your elbow should help to keep it in the holster. It's an awareness technique. Retention goes beyond just thumb breaks and serpas.
    I can see why you guys thought it was something else.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Quote Originally Posted by acmariner99 View Post
    A couple of years ago, somebody tried a gun grab. He was a nut who didn't know how to act around a citizen with a firearm. Back then I was very new to OC so the only thing I could think of was to secure my weapon with one hand while twisting my strong side away from him while taking a couple of steps back -- and shouting "HANDS OFF!" He didn't get a full hand on it and I reacted before he could get that far.
    You did what we were trained to do in weapons retention, instead of fighting for the gun, trap the hand and step in a motion to throw the grabber off balance. Whatever make sure the gun stays in the holster until you have complete control of it. You may be able to find a video on weapons retention.

Looks like a reasonably effective tactic, thanks for posting the link to that video. I've also seen another video that has almost the same technique, but after the hands are secured to the hand and elbow of the gun grabber, you would spin left or right (depending on which arm the grabber used) and effectively snap their elbow. Good to have more than one tool in the toolbox!
    Be safe, be prepared, and carry on!

Alle Ihre Basisstation jetzt zu uns gehören

Quote Originally Posted by WOD View Post
    Good to have more than one tool in the toolbox!
    Well said. Good to have multiple responses to this. For example, in the technique above, if he comes in closer into a clinch, the whole elbow break isn't going to work anymore. And then a different technique is required for attempted disarms from the rear. A lot of stuff to think about. And all the more reason for a good level of retention on your holster...yet still giving you enough time to respond.

Bending a finger in a direction it was not designed to go is a good tool also. This is one that I have used in the past. A good hard grip and a twist will take even a big man down.

Gunny Highway to "the Swede"...Lift up your chin......higher......BAP!!
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Shoot them with my BUG.
    Live Free or Die!

Banned
    I would say "Grandma, stop doing that!"

It is easy to remove a gun from a person's hand if you are close enough ... handgun, rifle, shotgun...remember the 21 foot rule...

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post

Shoot them with my BUG.
    +1
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    well trained..... and he managed to slip away through the crowd of gawkers. .
    Yes, very well trained....... I think you imagined it myself ... only children behave as such

Ka-POW 3 year old ! I'm well trained ! lol

If people are not to close, I usually keep my arms and hands normal. When I walk past a person or people or if I am standing arond a group, my elbow stays against my pistol. I use the CQC BlackHawk Paddle. It is canted slightly, so if someone tried to grab my pistol, they would not have much luck. However, I would stillturn quickly and take a few steps back placing my hand on my pistol ready in case they decided to pursue it more.

Troll troll troll troll admin please delte the troll and block his ip.....
    What the heck are you talking about?
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Yes, very well trained....... I think you imagined it myself ... only children behave as such

Ka-POW 3 year old ! I'm well trained ! lol
    GoGo,

He was talking about this post.

Troll seems unlikely, Agent provocateur possibly? read alot of his posts and seemed fairly odd to me, kinda like hyperactive. Much of it seemed like a teanager trying to impress his friends, very colorful. Drinking and typing dont mix!
    Last edited by Batousaii; 06-27-2012 at 01:15 AM.
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

Quote Originally Posted by Batousaii View Post
    Troll seems unlikely, Agent provocateur possibly? read alot of his posts and seemed fairly odd to me, kinda like hyperactive. Much of it seemed like a teanager trying to impress his friends, very colorful. Drinking and typing dont mix!
    +1... Ben there done that...not a good call....

As for the OP... This is hard as it is situational dependent... However.... In any situation I will do my damndest to keep someone from grabbing my firearm... Which I would like to think is alot...LOL But then again I reckon we all think that bout ourselves....

Banned
    Im talking about all his posts today. Davidmcbeth is a troll. I dont need the rights i have fought for to be taken away because a troublemaker makes us all look like idiots. Clearly he is being paid to make moronic statements which undermine the legitimacy of our constitutional rights.
    Tricolordad is the troll ... not me ... he thinks he's superman or something. Get off your high horse TCD ... "undermine the legitimacy of our constitutional rights"? Oh brother ...... show a post where I am trying to undermine our rights?--rights YOU (and only you in your mind) have fought for ... you say things w/o proof

"being paid"...no proof

Although I am a vet, I don't look down upon anyone who is not (how can you? with Clinton and O'Bamalama as recent presidents that I would never have served under). TCD seems to think you needed to have worn a uniform to be a patriot -- Ben Franklin would love to have a talk with you as well as most of our framers...

Banned
    Drinking and typing dont mix!
    Ha! Ya got that right...guzzle guzzle guzzle ....

I know to put on my fire suit for this one.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.56.300

1) A person is guilty of theft of a firearm if he or she commits a theft of any firearm.

(6) Theft of a firearm is a class B felony.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.16.050

Homicide is also justifiable when committed either:

(2) In the actual resistance of an attempt to commit a felony upon the slayer, in his or her presence, or upon or in a dwelling, or other place of abode, in which he or she is.

Helping them with Darwinian selection would be justified.

Just looking at another option that is LEGAL!!!
    Last edited by Freedom1Man; 06-27-2012 at 02:46 AM.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

1) A person is guilty of theft of a firearm if he or she commits a theft of any firearm.
    Jeezus really ??? ... Ya Think ??... No duh right?!?.... OMG, These are the people who run our state.................... it all makes perfect sense now.

- I really need a beer now...

- I promise not to type to much after...
    Last edited by Batousaii; 06-27-2012 at 04:02 AM.
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    ~

well Yeah!!!

Jeezus really ??? ... Ya Think ??... No duh right?!?.... OMG, These are the people who run our state.................... it all makes perfect sense now.

- I really need a beer now...

- I promise not to type to much after...
    I got a beer,,, right here for you my friend....

I miss you...
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Just calm down dude. Ever since your arrival you've come across as brash and ill-tempered.

What was your third or forth post you responded with the following after a pretty innocuous inquiry about your statement that Glenn Beck claimed you responsible for 9-11

How about my military service? Idiot.
    Try to get along with others...

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    --snip--

Try to get along with others...

Trust that no one will take offense at that - it is simply good advice.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast