• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What would you do if someone grabbed your weapon??

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I should restate that for the more juvenile of our readers.
What would you do (effectivly) if someone grabbed your weapon (the one on the belt holster by your side, with the bullets in it)??

I have my Sweet Baboo test any new holsters that I use to look for faults in retention. What about the guy that actually attempts a "gun grab" and actually puts his or her hand on the weapon itself? I use the elbow check and I try to keep aware of my surroundings, but there is always a chance that an idiot would attempt it. I got this in this mornings email and I thought I would share, what I think, is a good operational technique. Yes, it would depend upon the situation. I do not think I would rip the arm out of the socket of a little old lady with misguided intentions. But, for the squeamish, think about it, you would shoot a guy but not break his arm? Your thoughts?

http://www.policeone.com/police-pro...63-Holstered-Retention-from-Control-Concepts/

decklin

My response would be immediate, agressive, and violent. Obviously I'm not talking about beating somebody. I'm talking about incapacitation. I cannot say what the exact response would be as situation dictates.

I have often wondered about other people that carry. I'm sure most spend as much time at the range as they can but what about unarmed combat? How many people on here routinely practice whatever form of combatives they choose? I think this is something most people overlook. I know for a fact how physically and emotionally draining unarmed combat can be. It's not like in the movies where the hero dukes it out for minutes. You're lucky to get one minute of productive energy in a fight. You have to condition yourself for the possibility that you will be unable to utilize your primary weapon.

I too use the elbow check. My elbow rarely leaves that position when I am out.

acmariner99

A couple of years ago, somebody tried a gun grab. He was a nut who didn't know how to act around a citizen with a firearm. Back then I was very new to OC so the only thing I could think of was to secure my weapon with one hand while twisting my strong side away from him while taking a couple of steps back -- and shouting "HANDS OFF!" He didn't get a full hand on it and I reacted before he could get that far.

Now, I have better holsters and a couple of quick, easy, and painful moves I picked up from somebody I know in the Marines. I don't have the strength to elbow someone hard enough so they get the point. I can however twist the arm and deal a swift push or knock him down. If someone tries to grab my weapon the first thing I want is distance and then try to retreat or otherwise disengage if practicable in case he tries to press his attack.

Last edited:

tannerwaterbury

Well.... I DID take some boxing back in 04-05, so I may require to bring up THOSE skills if I had no choice, otherwise, a simple few elbow checks would get the job done. Never had much other sort of combat experience.

decklin

You guys are misunderstanding what the elbow check is. It's not for fighting. It's for retention.
Example: You are right hand dominant and wear your firearm on your right hip. You position your elbow to maintain contact with your weapon. Helps to ensure that even if retention is bypassed then your elbow should help to keep it in the holster. It's an awareness technique. Retention goes beyond just thumb breaks and serpas.
I can see why you guys thought it was something else.

WalkingWolf

A couple of years ago, somebody tried a gun grab. He was a nut who didn't know how to act around a citizen with a firearm. Back then I was very new to OC so the only thing I could think of was to secure my weapon with one hand while twisting my strong side away from him while taking a couple of steps back -- and shouting "HANDS OFF!" He didn't get a full hand on it and I reacted before he could get that far.

You did what we were trained to do in weapons retention, instead of fighting for the gun, trap the hand and step in a motion to throw the grabber off balance. Whatever make sure the gun stays in the holster until you have complete control of it. You may be able to find a video on weapons retention.

WOD

Looks like a reasonably effective tactic, thanks for posting the link to that video. I've also seen another video that has almost the same technique, but after the hands are secured to the hand and elbow of the gun grabber, you would spin left or right (depending on which arm the grabber used) and effectively snap their elbow. Good to have more than one tool in the toolbox!

skiingislife725

Good to have more than one tool in the toolbox!

Well said. Good to have multiple responses to this. For example, in the technique above, if he comes in closer into a clinch, the whole elbow break isn't going to work anymore. And then a different technique is required for attempted disarms from the rear. A lot of stuff to think about. And all the more reason for a good level of retention on your holster...yet still giving you enough time to respond.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Bending a finger in a direction it was not designed to go is a good tool also. This is one that I have used in the past. A good hard grip and a twist will take even a big man down.

Gunny Highway to "the Swede"...Lift up your chin......higher......BAP!!

davidmcbeth

Banned
I would say "Grandma, stop doing that!"

It is easy to remove a gun from a person's hand if you are close enough ... handgun, rifle, shotgun...remember the 21 foot rule...

tricolordad

I've never had somebody actually get their hands ON my handgun, but I had a guy TRY at the local Ace Hardware. I simply swung my body in the opposite direction, stomped down onto his foot and a jab to the throat put him down. (If you're a little smaller, I would recommend retreating. I'm 6'3 and well trained. Thanks Uncle Sam!) I was shocked that he tried and he managed to slip away through the crowd of gawkers. I've started carrying at the 2:00 position because he's an idiot and I don't remember what he looks like. Next time he might get shot.

DeltaOps

If people are not to close, I usually keep my arms and hands normal. When I walk past a person or people or if I am standing arond a group, my elbow stays against my pistol. I use the CQC BlackHawk Paddle. It is canted slightly, so if someone tried to grab my pistol, they would not have much luck. However, I would stillturn quickly and take a few steps back placing my hand on my pistol ready in case they decided to pursue it more.

tricolordad

Im talking about all his posts today. Davidmcbeth is a troll. I dont need the rights i have fought for to be taken away because a troublemaker makes us all look like idiots. Clearly he is being paid to make moronic statements which undermine the legitimacy of our constitutional rights.

Batousaii

Troll troll troll troll admin please delte the troll and block his ip.....

Troll seems unlikely, Agent provocateur possibly? read alot of his posts and seemed fairly odd to me, kinda like hyperactive. Much of it seemed like a teanager trying to impress his friends, very colorful. Drinking and typing dont mix!

Last edited: