• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Old Dominion University in the news ... again

USNA69

From the Tuesday, 25 June, Norfolk Virginian-Pilot:

Norfolk
ODU REPORTS SEXUAL ASSAULT OF STUDENT
A man sexually assaulted a female student in a residence hall at Old Dominion University about 3 a.m. Sunday, the university said.
He was with a guest of a resident, said university spokeswoman Jennifer Mullen. Police are investigating.
The case marks the third reported sexual assault at ODU this year. Five forcible sexual assaults were reported in 2011.
–Patrick Wilson, The Pilot

(sarcasm alert) I am baffled how this could happen. Why didn't the victim just call campus security? Why didn't she just get to a campus "blue call box" to report an emergency?

Of course, I am not saying that this assault could have been prevented, if the victim possessed a gun.

But, I am saying that the assailant could be absolutely certain that she did not have a gun, when he chose to assault her.

And, the beat goes on ....

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Has anyone seen my shocked face? I can't seem to find it.

There is some hope that due to the assailant's being described as "the guest of a resident" he might be identified, arrested, and tried - in spite of the fact that the university has no legal duty or obligation to protect the female student (presumably) in her home or the curtilige thereof.

There's just not enough information to know if the university's "No Guns" policy saved the young lady from further harm.

stay safe.

MamabearCali

HA...blue boxes that is a good one! When I was at ODU (about 10 years ago) we had those lovely blue boxes. One night my fiancee and I (now my husband) were out being stupid (going to a diner at around 1 am) and we wittnessed 3 feet from us a car being broken into. We pressed that little box.....took 10 minutes for the police (who were only three blocks away) to get around to getting to us. What is even more terrifying is that those trying to break into the car CAME BACK BEFORE the police got there. There we were standing there, the two of us, totally unarmed, totally vulnerable, sitting there like ducks. I am amazed I survived my college years. Testament to the existence of a benevolent deity. Poor girl...so sorry.... could have easily been me.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
sure is! for the thugs, anyway. :mad:

I was thinking the same thing MK!:uhoh:

The sad part of all of this is that there appears to be very little interest in Students for Concealed Carry. Granted the State Level Leadership has always sucked, but still the students on campus could form their own grass roots groups.

I would have thought just the students that were attending on the GI bill would kick in, but it seems like a small group at every demonstration.

Last edited:

BlueRidgeTrapper

Has anyone seen my shocked face? I can't seem to find it.

Found it for you....

etrade-baby.jpg

RandyVA

I was thinking the same thing MK!:uhoh:

The sad part of all of this is that there appears to be very little interest in Students for Concealed Carry. Granted the State Level Leadership has always sucked, but still the students on campus could form their own grass roots groups.

I would have thought just the students that were attending on the GI bill would kick in, but it seems like a small group at every demonstration.

I was about to start a thread asking if anyone knew what ODU's firearm policies were, I guess this one answers my questions. I start attending in August on the GI Bill. When is the next demonstration?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Demonstrations, as you call them, are designed to call the public's attention to the issue, and hopefully to mobilize those most closely effected to take some action. It seems that while some ODU students "support" (as in not actively opposing) the idea of campus carry there are not any significant number of them willing to become involved in making campus carry happen.

One of the most amazing things about VCDL is that the membership can be counted on to turn up and otherwise support activities even when others might say they were beating a dead horse. Willingness to fight for your right to defend yourself, even when you are not willing to, seems to be a hallmark of the VCDL member.

But as I recall things, it is necessary for an ODU student organization to be the official sponsor of any event held on campus. It appears that none of the existing student organizations want to take the necessary steps. But, now that we will have a "ringer" on campus, ....

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Just to expand on what Skid said Randy....You or a group of yous (Pronounced youse North of Ashland:lol:) have to get the ball rolling.
VCDL will help but only as a supportive guest.

A little hint and this pains me.
Campus carry only has a chance of passing tied t a CHP. That's OK as long as the bill does not have any effect on non students Open Carrying.
If it does or if the group starts the "Look at me I got a CHP", dance...the bill will likely die in committee early on.

Soooo, gather a group of like minded friends and have at it.

ryan7068

I'm in my last year at ODU and have done what I can to take a lot of classes online. When I do go to the campus..........well lets just say, I'm not defenseless;)

ryan7068

of course of course........no what im really talkin about is the blue light system. Emergency occurs, i hustle over to one, and a wonderful police officer and a gun show up in about 10 minutes :D I could always carry a drop wallet and drop phone to toss them :)

Ultimately if I did happen to carry, it would be the same as any other private property. I could get hit up with trespassing if I didn't leave. "I didn't see any signage, sorry!":( Also I could get expelled being a student :(

USNA69

(SNIP) But as I recall things, it is necessary for an ODU student organization to be the official sponsor of any event held on campus. It appears that none of the existing student organizations want to take the necessary steps. But, now that we will have a "ringer" on campus, ....

stay safe.

My take on ODU student apathy about this issus is this:
They are attending ODU to get the diploma and to get out. To become publicly associated with a pro-2A cause inside an ultra-liberal anti-2A campus is to invite "special teatment" by hoplophobic professors and to place grades and that diploma at great risk.

Of course, that is just my opinion; I could be wrong.

ryan7068

My take on ODU student apathy about this issus is this:
They are attending ODU to get the diploma and to get out. To become publicly associated with a pro-2A cause inside an ultra-liberal anti-2A campus is to invite "special teatment" by hoplophobic professors and to place grades and that diploma at great risk.

Of course, that is just my opinion; I could be wrong.

As a student, I 100% agree with you. After that no guns no funds protest, I was definitely concerned with the well being of students in general given the behavior of some of the instructors. :cuss: