• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions

JohnnyBravo

Okay, so i just wanted some answers for a few questions concerning open carry.

1. could someone show me a list of places where you cannot open carry?

2. and also, does anyone know if you can carry in a state park without a permit?

Thanks.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Okay, so i just wanted some answers for a few questions concerning open carry.

1. could someone show me a list of places where you cannot open carry?

2. and also, does anyone know if you can carry in a state park without a permit?

Thanks.

I cannot carry anywhere ... waiting for my permit lol.

People may answer but remember, they may just answer to the best of their knowledge & give a wrong or incomplete answer.

ZeroC

In short anywhere posted. Most government buildings. Schools (within a 1000 feet without a permit, if you have a CHL you can carry within the 1000 foot bubble but not on school property). Places of worship unless you have permission.

Open carry in state parks is allowed.

Hareuhal

I cannot carry anywhere ... waiting for my permit lol.

People may answer but remember, they may just answer to the best of their knowledge & give a wrong or incomplete answer.

You can open carry without a permit. The permit is just to concealed carry.

badey

You can open carry without a permit. The permit is just to concealed carry.

Just to clarify for the new member, you can open carry without a permit, but being on/in a vehicle (bike, motorcycle, car, etc.) means the firearm is concealed. So as long as you walk to your destination, you can open carry.

ZeroC

Just to clarify for the new member, you can open carry without a permit, but being on/in a vehicle (bike, motorcycle, car, etc.) means the firearm is concealed. So as long as you walk to your destination, you can open carry.

You can open carry on a bicycle since the law is motor vehicle, a bike is not a motor vehicle.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate

Title 2923 dealing with conceal carry only refers to "motor vehicle" not "vehicle." A human peddled bicycle is not a "motor vehicle."

4511.01 Traffic laws - operation of motor vehicles definitions.

As used in this chapter and in Chapter 4513. of the Revised Code:

(A) “Vehicle” means every device, including a motorized bicycle, in, upon, or by which any person or property may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except that “vehicle” does not include any motorized wheelchair, any electric personal assistive mobility device, any device that is moved by power collected from overhead electric trolley wires or that is used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks, or any device, other than a bicycle, that is moved by human power.

(B) “Motor vehicle” means every vehicle propelled or drawn by power other than muscular power or power collected from overhead electric trolley wires, except motorized bicycles, road rollers, traction engines, power shovels, power cranes, and other equipment used in construction work and not designed for or employed in general highway transportation, hole-digging machinery, well-drilling machinery, ditch-digging machinery, farm machinery, and trailers designed and used exclusively to transport a boat between a place of storage and a marina, or in and around a marina, when drawn or towed on a street or highway for a distance of no more than ten miles and at a speed of twenty-five miles per hour or less.

(C) “Motorcycle” means every motor vehicle, other than a tractor, having a seat or saddle for the use of the operator and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, including, but not limited to, motor vehicles known as “motor-driven cycle,” “motor scooter,” or “motorcycle” without regard to weight or brake horsepower.

(G) “Bicycle” means every device, other than a tricycle designed solely for use as a play vehicle by a child, propelled solely by human power upon which any person may ride having two tandem wheels, or one wheel in the front and two wheels in the rear, or two wheels in the front and one wheel in the rear, any of which is more than fourteen inches in diameter.

(H) “Motorized bicycle” means any vehicle having either two tandem wheels or one wheel in the front and two wheels in the rear, that is capable of being pedaled and is equipped with a helper motor of not more than fifty cubic centimeters piston displacement that produces no more than one brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of no greater than twenty miles per hour on a level surface.

JmE

Assuming (we all know how that goes) that traveling by horseback is not, by itself, sufficient to consider a handgun concealed on a person; is there anything to indicate that traveling by buggy one would need a CHL? In other words, is a handgun concealed if openly carried by someone in a buggy? I sometimes ride with my Amish friends and hadn't given it too much consideration before now. Answers would also be good to pass along to Amish friends as, on occasion, they have their handguns with them.

ZeroC

I horse drawn carriage doesn't have a motor, therefore not a motor vehicle by definition so a buggy would not require a CHL to open carry.

JmE

Being silly here, but what about an electric powered wheel chair?

Actually, it's not that silly. There are several of those running around this burg as well.

As to the buggy question... I didn't think there were any restrictions on that front but figured I'd ask in case someone in Ohio had been hassled about that in the past. None of my Amish friends have a CHL.

MyWifeSaidYes

As quoted above:

(A) “Vehicle” means every device, including a motorized bicycle, in, upon, or by which any person or property may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except that “vehicle” does not include any motorized wheelchair, any electric personal assistive mobility device, any device that is moved by power collected from overhead electric trolley wires or that is used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks, or any device, other than a bicycle, that is moved by human power.

If you are not a "vehicle", you can not be a "motorized vehicle".