• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dasbunker

dasbunker

I just found this site and thought I would share my experiences with open carry.
I have been a permit holder since 2005 and usually carry everywhere that is legal.
This includes my last place of employment.
For the last 6 months I have been open carrying, at first only where I feel comfortable.
Lately I have expanded my open carry to almost everywhere I go.
Cub foods, Fleet Farm, Sears, Gander Mountain, Goodwill, gas stations and convenience stores in the south metro of the Twin cities and all of my local merchants.
I have stood in the checkout line at local store with a uniformed LEO that I did not know standing right behind me with a .45 Kimber on my hip and he either didn’t see it or completely ignored me.
The only time someone mentioned my pistol was when someone asked me “do the cops ever hassle you over that?’
I told him he was the first person to ever acknowledge even see me carrying a pistol.
I promptly educated him on the laws covering open carry in the state of Minnesota.
He couldn’t believe this could happen in the people’s republic of Minnesota.
I still carry concealed at Cabalas, they don’t seem so friendly.
I plan to see what happens at this year’s 4th of July calibration in my home town as well as the local county fairs where I will not be dealing with the “front line”LEO.

Stay Safe,Stay Alert

gunns

I just found this site and thought I would share my experiences with open carry.
I have been a permit holder since 2005 and usually carry everywhere that is legal.
This includes my last place of employment.
For the last 6 months I have been open carrying, at first only where I feel comfortable.
Lately I have expanded my open carry to almost everywhere I go.
Cub foods, Fleet Farm, Sears, Gander Mountain, Goodwill, gas stations and convenience stores in the south metro of the Twin cities and all of my local merchants.
I have stood in the checkout line at local store with a uniformed LEO that I did not know standing right behind me with a .45 Kimber on my hip and he either didn’t see it or completely ignored me.
The only time someone mentioned my pistol was when someone asked me “do the cops ever hassle you over that?’
I told him he was the first person to ever acknowledge even see me carrying a pistol.
I promptly educated him on the laws covering open carry in the state of Minnesota.
He couldn’t believe this could happen in the people’s republic of Minnesota.
I still carry concealed at Cabalas, they don’t seem so friendly.
I plan to see what happens at this year’s 4th of July calibration in my home town as well as the local county fairs where I will not be dealing with the “front line”LEO.

Stay Safe,Stay Alert

Good write up. I don't usually open carry, it has more to do with me having a physical ailment that prevents me from wearing good carry belts. For me to successfully care my HK or Walther I need a good tight belt and I can't wear a good tight belt. I thought about a Guides Choice holster though. Right now I use a Maxpedition Fatboy.

amaixner

Good write up. I don't usually open carry, it has more to do with me having a physical ailment that prevents me from wearing good carry belts. For me to successfully care my HK or Walther I need a good tight belt and I can't wear a good tight belt. I thought about a Guides Choice holster though. Right now I use a Maxpedition Fatboy.

Sounds like you may be one of the rare people for whom a shoulder holster is the best option.

Tacitus42

Cabelas:
Policy is to follow the law of the state the store located.

Thank you for the recent email. I am very sorry for the confusion that took place at our retail location.
Our corporate office has taken action in regards to the below mentioned issue and here is what has been decided.
We have made the decision to comply with state laws in regards to open carry. We do not ask customers to check concealed or open carry weapons where the state has laws governing this situation. Our signs refer to firearms that are being returned or sold to Cabela's.

If you are still having problems please feel free to let us know

Thanks again

Becky
Lead Associate
Cabela's Retail Information
1-800-905-2731
retail.contactgroup<AT>cabelas.com