• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

shooting closure

nkunnen

There is a shooting ban in arapahoe and rosevelt national forests. Due to fire danger.

Last edited:

mobiushky

There is a shooting ban in arapahoe and rosevelt national forests. Due to fire danger.

Neither copper or lead are sparking metals. I understand the gunpowder issue to a certain extent, but shooting a copper coated lead bullet into a rock will not cause a spark at all. Steel core might. I'm not trying to reverse the shooting ban, just commenting on how sometimes people forget the most basic rules of science and physics.

nkunnen

Its the steel core russian cheap ammo. I think thats the only one that will spark. Unless some idiot tries shooting tracers, which are illegal in the national forest anyways. Oh well...

M-Taliesin

Its the steel core russian cheap ammo. I think thats the only one that will spark. Unless some idiot tries shooting tracers, which are illegal in the national forest anyways. Oh well...

Howdy Pard!
We have plenty of flint in Colorado. Hit a piece with a steel bullet, and you can spark another wildfire.
I haven't studied the matter of how far hot sparks might travel from a handgun, but the tinderbox conditions we see in Colorado do tend to cause folks to exercise a whole new degree of caution.

Throw into the mix that some yahoos were shooting at propane tanks a few days ago up in the high country (out by Lake George) and firearms may have led to a fire down in the extreme southwest of our state, and it isn't unreasonable to ask folks to refrain from shooting under the present circumstances. Just as it is not unreasonable to ask that fireworks not be used while such conditions persist.

An ounce of prevention can be worth 180 homes! (sic)

I'm sure that when conditions improve, restrictions will be lifted.
Patience, my friend. This too will pass.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

GTShooter

Heard the same thing from Rangers this weekend while doing some shooting in National Forest over by Empire. Seems Ill have to be going to the range for practice. Which is fine if officials think that placing a ban will give the forest more protection from wild fires.

Keens

I'm not shooting at my range right now either. It's just tinderbox conditions statewide. Not even riding my dirt bike even though it has a spark arrester and not doing any four-wheeling due to the hot exhaust touching the grass/brush and potentially starting a fire. We still plan to do some camping, just not going to have a campfire or use the cook stove. It will be sandwiches and things we can eat without cooking and we can always go eat at a resturant too. Conditions are just awful right now. I sure hope we get some wet weather soon! That monsoon last summer was awesome! Stay safe everyone!

Blessings,

Keens

PFC HALE

Heard the same thing from Rangers this weekend while doing some shooting in National Forest over by Empire. Seems Ill have to be going to the range for practice. Which is fine if officials think that placing a ban will give the forest more protection from wild fires.

not hammering on ya but less risk however small, the better. the more sources of ignition removed the less chance of fire.