Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A quick pro-tip for those who argue in here

A quick pro-tip for those who argue in here

If you want to be convincing and seen as a serious, intelligent person, you ought to try extra hard not to throw around "clever" nicknames for, and misspellings and portmanteaus of the names of, people you don't like. It doesn't add weight to what you're saying. It just makes you sound like a six year old on the playground arguing about whether He-Man could beat up Lion-O.

Eat two more big bites, and you can get down from the table.

Yeah, like changing Moosejaw to Mooselips, or something like that.
    Last edited by hjmoosejaw; 06-27-2012 at 09:15 AM.
    watch your top knot !

Quote Originally Posted by hjmoosejaw View Post
    Yup. Even I'm guilty of it, mooselips, though I don't dislike you. I just think you should think through your opinions a little more thoroughly.
    Last edited by ()pen(arry; 06-27-2012 at 09:24 AM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    One might hope that we would spend less time arguing and more time spent discussing in a responsible manner. We can get too embroiled in the topic and thereby sometimes lose direction - our intended point is diminished or buried in an avalanche of ill chosen words.

While good friends may jab at one another, most often changing a user's screen name is done to irritate, make fun of, or otherwise diminish their character. It is IMO insulting and we all know what the rules say about insults.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.Ē Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by ()pen(arry View Post
    Yup. Even I'm guilty of it, mooselips, though I don't dislike you. I just think you should think through your opinions a little more thoroughly.

Eat the rest of them peas.
    watch your top knot !

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Eat the rest of them peas.
    And please don't talk with your mouth full + close it when you chew.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.Ē Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Yup, just another way of saying another opinion don't mean.... and keep it to yourself. Oh brother.

If you want to be convincing and seen as a serious, intelligent person, you ought to try extra hard not to throw around "clever" nicknames for, and misspellings and portmanteaus of the names of, people you don't like. It doesn't add weight to what you're saying. It just makes you sound like a six year old on the playground arguing about whether He-Man could beat up Lion-O.

Eat two more big bites, and you can get down from the table.
    I see three possibilities, someone went to confession, took a hard look in the mirror and didn't like what they saw, or is just another tactic to rule the roost. A little hard to believe such an offender is butt hurt, or just feels bad about their own tone.
    Iím proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

I just thought it was an exersize in irony...

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Here's some additional recent slip-ups by Saint ()pen(arry, and what he/or she really thinks of other's opinions, and other people.

your irrational, ignorant viewpoints
    Those dirty other folk don't qualify
    You're a first-class bigot

Another ploy to advance "do as I say not as I do" This topic introduction oozes with dishonestly.
    Iím proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

Removed double tap!
    Last edited by jbone; 06-27-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jbone View Post

Another ploy to advance "do as I say not as I do" This topic introduction oozes with dishonestly.
    Some would call that liberalism...

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Some would call that liberalism...
    Exactly, liberalism: walking up to a person without provocation slapping them in the face, turning the other cheek for them and slapping the other cheek. And with red stinging palm, and two red welting checks deny the event ever took place, or blame it on someone else.
    Last edited by jbone; 06-27-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar
    Here's some additional recent slip-ups by Saint ()pen(arry, and what he/or she really thinks of other's opinions, and other people.

That's why I will continue to speak my mind as I see fit. If it offends people so much, they're invited not to read it. I read all sorts of leftist drivel and pretentious "libertarian" castigation. Some of it insults our intelligence.

I ridicule, argue, agree with or ignore posts as I please.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

You do realize not one of those is an example of what he was talking about? Examples would be if I were to call you jbonehead, when others call Obama Obozo or similar, etc.

At least we've gotten past the idiotic "hurr his middle name's Hussein durr" that was so prevalent pre-2008.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    You do realize not one of those is an example of what he was talking about? Examples would be if I were to call you jbonehead, when others call Obama Obozo or similar, etc.

At least we've gotten past the idiotic "hurr his middle name's Hussein durr" that was so prevalent pre-2008.
    Calling a public figure who is not a member Obozo, or moonbat, Hussein(which is his name) is not the same as directly insulting members. Of course I do not expect liberals to understand the difference, since they had plenty of pet names for previous presidents.

Gee...I guess I'd better rethink calling obooba obooba. Or disregard self righteous tripe from members with dozens of posts who have been here for several months...
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Nice tap dance!

Calling a public figure who is not a member Obozo, or moonbat, Hussein(which is his name) is not the same as directly insulting members. Of course I do not expect liberals to understand the difference, since they had plenty of pet names for previous presidents.
    Oh, don't even get me started on the idiots who called Bush names (e.g. Shrub). I called people on it then and I do it now, because it's stupid regardless who is behind the slinging. Resorting to intentional name mangling to insult or degrade does nothing more but show a schoolyard intellect and a sense that browbeating and bullying beats engaging on point.

Additionally, the comments from moosejaw were generally about jbone's positions and actions. E.g. his viewpoints were irrational and his actions and expressions bigoted. Considering jbone and PFW do act like spiteful, hateful people to "liberals" (read: anyone who doesn't exactly align their viewpoint to what jbone/PFW thinks is right), it's not name calling or directly insulting. It's calling a spade a spade, and nothing more.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

The use of portmanteaus in political commentary and satire is a LONG and honorable practice. Mark Twain was perhaps the master of this in the USA, and people like Oscar Wilde and Charles Dickens used it to great effect too.

Personally, I find clever wordplay in political discourse to be a sign of intelligence, creativity, and the ability to "think outside the box". And those who would object to this practice must, to my understanding, lack these traits.

That's all I have to say about that...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggressionóand this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    The use of portmanteaus in political commentary and satire is a LONG and honorable practice. Mark Twain was perhaps the master of this in the USA, and people like Oscar Wilde and Charles Dickens used it to great effect too.

Personally, I find clever wordplay in political discourse to be a sign of intelligence, creativity, and the ability to "think outside the box". And those who would object to this practice must, to my understanding, lack these traits.

Perhaps if the jibes were clever, new, used pointedly, etc. Instead we get the SOS play (Same old sh-t). Wow, you made Obama into Obozo, good for you *pat on head for the special needs child*. Oh, you're special, calling Bush "Shrub", never heard that one before, want a lollipop?

It's the most obvious example of in the box thinking, because it's just repeating hatred without explication of problematic policy and potential solutions.

Perhaps if the jibes were clever, new, used pointedly, etc. Instead we get the SOS play (Same old sh-t). Wow, you made Obama into Obozo, good for you *pat on head for the special needs child*. Oh, you're special, calling Bush "Shrub", never heard that one before, want a lollipop?

It's the most obvious example of in the box thinking, because it's just repeating hatred without explication of problematic policy and potential solutions.
    So suggesting someone is a special needs child is OK~~I get it now, the same old liberal game.

So suggesting someone is a special needs child is OK~~I get it now, the same old liberal game.
    I love when I'm called liberal by people here, conservative by people elsewhere, and both mean it as a smear job, when the terms are meaningless outside of context.

But sure, if you want to keep calling the president names like a little schoolyard child would call another person he does not like, be my guest. It would be much more impressive, though, if you actually addressed policies and actions rather than merely parroting *bwaaaak*Obozo*bwaaaak*.

Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post

Lets not forget Saul Alynisky's tactic of marginalizing and ridiculing the opposition. I love using their tactics against them. The only people who say anything more idiotic than obooba defenders, are in the administration itself.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

I love when I'm called liberal by people here, conservative by people elsewhere, and both mean it as a smear job, when the terms are meaningless outside of context.

But sure, if you want to keep calling the president names like a little schoolyard child would call another person he does not like, be my guest. It would be much more impressive, though, if you actually addressed policies and actions rather than merely parroting *bwaaaak*Obozo*bwaaaak*.
    I didn't call you liberal, I said it was the same old liberal game, and it is. I have no doubt there may be some conservatives that play liberal games, but it is what it is. You whimper and cry about name calling and then in the same paragraph do it yourself, it is a typical liberal trait.

BTW why do people get so incensed by the word liberal?
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 06-27-2012 at 03:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast