• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A quick pro-tip for those who argue in here

()pen(arry

If you want to be convincing and seen as a serious, intelligent person, you ought to try extra hard not to throw around "clever" nicknames for, and misspellings and portmanteaus of the names of, people you don't like. It doesn't add weight to what you're saying. It just makes you sound like a six year old on the playground arguing about whether He-Man could beat up Lion-O.

Eat two more big bites, and you can get down from the table.

hjmoosejaw

Yeah, like changing Moosejaw to Mooselips, or something like that.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
One might hope that we would spend less time arguing and more time spent discussing in a responsible manner. We can get too embroiled in the topic and thereby sometimes lose direction - our intended point is diminished or buried in an avalanche of ill chosen words.

While good friends may jab at one another, most often changing a user's screen name is done to irritate, make fun of, or otherwise diminish their character. It is IMO insulting and we all know what the rules say about insults.

jbone

Yup. Even I'm guilty of it, mooselips, though I don't dislike you. I just think you should think through your opinions a little more thoroughly.

Yup, just another way of saying another opinion don't mean.... and keep it to yourself. Oh brother.

If you want to be convincing and seen as a serious, intelligent person, you ought to try extra hard not to throw around "clever" nicknames for, and misspellings and portmanteaus of the names of, people you don't like. It doesn't add weight to what you're saying. It just makes you sound like a six year old on the playground arguing about whether He-Man could beat up Lion-O.

Eat two more big bites, and you can get down from the table.

I see three possibilities, someone went to confession, took a hard look in the mirror and didn't like what they saw, or is just another tactic to rule the roost. A little hard to believe such an offender is butt hurt, or just feels bad about their own tone.

jbone

Yeah, like changing Moosejaw to Mooselips, or something like that.

Here's some additional recent slip-ups by Saint ()pen(arry, and what he/or she really thinks of other's opinions, and other people.

your irrational, ignorant viewpoints
Those dirty other folk don't qualify
You're a first-class bigot

Another ploy to advance "do as I say not as I do" This topic introduction oozes with dishonestly.

jbone

Some would call that liberalism...

Exactly, liberalism: walking up to a person without provocation slapping them in the face, turning the other cheek for them and slapping the other cheek. And with red stinging palm, and two red welting checks deny the event ever took place, or blame it on someone else.

Last edited:

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Here's some additional recent slip-ups by Saint ()pen(arry, and what he/or she really thinks of other's opinions, and other people.

Another ploy to advance "do as I say not as I do" This topic introduction oozes with dishonestly.

That's why I will continue to speak my mind as I see fit. If it offends people so much, they're invited not to read it. I read all sorts of leftist drivel and pretentious "libertarian" castigation. Some of it insults our intelligence.

I ridicule, argue, agree with or ignore posts as I please.

Tawnos

You do realize not one of those is an example of what he was talking about? Examples would be if I were to call you jbonehead, when others call Obama Obozo or similar, etc.

At least we've gotten past the idiotic "hurr his middle name's Hussein durr" that was so prevalent pre-2008.

WalkingWolf

You do realize not one of those is an example of what he was talking about? Examples would be if I were to call you jbonehead, when others call Obama Obozo or similar, etc.

At least we've gotten past the idiotic "hurr his middle name's Hussein durr" that was so prevalent pre-2008.

Calling a public figure who is not a member Obozo, or moonbat, Hussein(which is his name) is not the same as directly insulting members. Of course I do not expect liberals to understand the difference, since they had plenty of pet names for previous presidents.

Gunslinger

Gee...I guess I'd better rethink calling obooba obooba. Or disregard self righteous tripe from members with dozens of posts who have been here for several months...

jbone

Nice tap dance!

Tawnos

Calling a public figure who is not a member Obozo, or moonbat, Hussein(which is his name) is not the same as directly insulting members. Of course I do not expect liberals to understand the difference, since they had plenty of pet names for previous presidents.

Oh, don't even get me started on the idiots who called Bush names (e.g. Shrub). I called people on it then and I do it now, because it's stupid regardless who is behind the slinging. Resorting to intentional name mangling to insult or degrade does nothing more but show a schoolyard intellect and a sense that browbeating and bullying beats engaging on point.

Additionally, the comments from moosejaw were generally about jbone's positions and actions. E.g. his viewpoints were irrational and his actions and expressions bigoted. Considering jbone and PFW do act like spiteful, hateful people to "liberals" (read: anyone who doesn't exactly align their viewpoint to what jbone/PFW thinks is right), it's not name calling or directly insulting. It's calling a spade a spade, and nothing more.

Dreamer

The use of portmanteaus in political commentary and satire is a LONG and honorable practice. Mark Twain was perhaps the master of this in the USA, and people like Oscar Wilde and Charles Dickens used it to great effect too.

Personally, I find clever wordplay in political discourse to be a sign of intelligence, creativity, and the ability to "think outside the box". And those who would object to this practice must, to my understanding, lack these traits.

That's all I have to say about that...