Thread: National Forest Rangers encounter

National Forest Rangers encounter

Hello everyone,

Ive been looking thru the different topics for a couple of months now but this is my first time posting. First of all thank you all very much for the great info and the efforts to keep the rights to keep and bear arms alive.

On to my story,

I was out camping this passed weekend in National Forest and at some point of the day my family and some friends decided to pull out our firearms and do some practice shooting. We had probably already gone thru a couple hundred rounds when 2 Rangers walk up to us and tell us we're going to need to stop shooting. They told me they were going to have to ask me to stop because I was too close to the road and other campers where getting worried. At that point I told him I was following all regulations for shooting outdoors. I was at at least 150 feet from any road or campers ( I was actually 1/4 mile away from any road and over 500 feet from any other camper). So I did not see what the problem was. Again he said the shots could be heard from the road......... I kind of just looked at him in silence.

At that point he just asked me how much ammo was I planning on shooting that day, I told him I had about 200 more rounds on my rifle and another 100 on my handgun. The Rangers had a little conversation between themselves at that point and pretty much just told me I would be allowed ( and thats the part that didnt sink well with me) to shoot for another 30min that day. I could of been a jerk and told them I have the right to shoot in national forest and if other campers dont like it they should not camp in national forest, but I didnt want to create a conflict in the middle of the woods. Also, I had been shooting for a couple of hours and felt people should be able to go up to the mountain and get soem peace. Anyhow I had split/mixed feelings about the whole situation. As they walked away they also mentioned there would be a State wide Fire arm shooting ban starting Monday.

How would you all handled this situation?

As to the sound of gunfire. Tough toenails.

As to the range from 'X', me not knowing the terrain, I deduce that you were entirely confident that no bystander would be injured due to them being down range. Kind of like shooting a beer cans at the base of a cliff or something. No chance for anyone to get behind the target area.

As to the ranger(s), they could have been problematic if they desired to be. But, it sounds like you know enough about the law that they did not want to get into any losing legal battle.

I would, personally, inform the rangers that I would be shooting and on what dates slant times. Just so they know, kind of like giving them your hiking/back packing itinerary in case you are overdue. Ya never know, they may want to join you....next time.

Sounds like you handled yourself.

Statewide firearm shooting ban....on national forest land? Really? Or, is it due to the wildfires.....ya shooting tracers or something?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Of Course, I was a the base of a hill shooting at targets so I knew my shots would not be lost in the woods. I believe thats why the Rangers didnt give me too much trouble. Also, it had never occured to me I should call them and let them know. How would that work, just call the Ranger's Office and let them know my location and let them know Ill be shooting?

Yeap they said because of the wild fires state wide there would be a ban on firearms shooting in National Forest. Who knows maybe they just wanted me to stop shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    As to the sound of gunfire. Tough toenails.

As to the range from 'X', me not knowing the terrain, I deduce that you were entirely confident that no bystander would be injured due to them being down range. Kind of like shooting a beer cans at the base of a cliff or something. No chance for anyone to get behind the target area.

As to the ranger(s), they could have been problematic if they desired to be. But, it sounds like you know enough about the law that they did not want to get into any losing legal battle.

I would, personally, inform the rangers that I would be shooting and on what dates slant times. Just so they know, kind of like giving them your hiking/back packing itinerary in case you are overdue. Ya never know, they may want to join you....next time.

Sounds like you handled yourself.

Statewide firearm shooting ban....on national forest land? Really? Or, is it due to the wildfires.....ya shooting tracers or something?

Quote Originally Posted by GTShooter View Post
    As they walked away they also mentioned there would be a State wide Fire arm shooting ban starting Monday.
    I think you handled it well.

No law enforcement officer is within his rights to tell you to stop doing something that's legal/lawful. On the other hand, if I were heading to the National Forest for target practice, it wouldn't be near others.

As for the state-wide ban, I think that's an ignorant, HUA, knee-jerk reaction, at best, as neither lead nor copper are sparking metals.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.