• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Encounter at METRO

Rollbar

I was even getting confused by the cops ignorance.

Good job. Please keep us posted.

Lostlittlerobot

Job well done, way to stay calm and composed. By not ranting off cites and laws, you guys came across professional and not radical - which I know can be difficult for us when we get passionate about the ignorance of the people in charge of enforcing these laws. I'm glad nothing terrible happened, and hope you guys keep up the good fight!

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I wish I had the personality to do that sometimes. I once chose to be disarmed for an entire evening, including on the bad side of town, because one of my stops was a meeting of firearms instructors at a Metro station. I was on a motorcycle with no storage. There's an old thread here about it.

Merlin

I love you guys(and gal). Really I do.

Any chance you could make your finished videos available for direct download? I like to keep things like this on my tablet for showing to other people. It really helps bring them over to our side when they can see how frequent it is that people get violated.

I wish my video editing skills were up to Tigerlily quality. I have video of the Clark County Fair, the Courthouse, and the Library all fairly recently, but I gotta get my lazy butt to edit it all to be a little more clear and succinct.

ed2276

This was a "thought out event," one gun on, one off. it was clear that the law or lack of law, had absolutely no influence on the actions of the officers, they were enforcing their "wants"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7n3ocrdeNE&feature=youtu.be

Here is the raw footage, emphasis on raw:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/22941155

I was caught off guard by the sergeant's assertion that the Metro station was a private building, that Metro was merely leasing the building.

However, the sergeant was wrong about the building being a "private building". NRS 202.3673, 6(b)(2):

6. As used in this section: (b) “Public building” means any building or office space occupied by: (2) The Federal Government, the State of Nevada or any county, city, school district or other political subdivision of the State of Nevada and used for any public purpose.

"occupied by", not "owned by", sergeant! Nice try, though. lol

The ignorance of and/or intentional lying by officers about the very laws they are sworn to enforce is stunning.

usmcmustang

I was caught off guard by the sergeant's assertion that the Metro station was a private building, that Metro was merely leasing the building.

However, the sergeant was wrong about the building being a "private building". NRS 202.3673, 6(b)(2):

6.  As used in this section: (b) “Public building” means any building or office space occupied by: (2) The Federal Government, the State of Nevada or any county, city, school district or other political subdivision of the State of Nevada and used for any public purpose.

"occupied by", not "owned by", sergeant! Nice try, though. lol

The ignorance of and/or intentional lying by officers about the very laws they are sworn to enforce is stunning.

Good find and post. When I heard the ol' "supervisor" say that the building was "leased," I thought to myself... well, maybe... but what funds satisfy the lease? Uh... public funds of course... and doesn't that then make it a "public" building? You are absolutely correct about the ignorance and lying... they are quick with that kind of $hit.

Last edited:

ed2276

http://gisgate.co.clark.nv.us/openweb/

Lookup the property address and verify if they were lying to you. In either case, even if they were leasing it, it holds no water. Kinda like when you rent a hotel room, it becomes your home during the lease period.

I have no reason to believe they are lying about leasing the building; Metro may well lease the property. The sergeant's sophistry was to assert that because Metro leased the building that the building was privately owned and that the private owner can ban open carry.

However, the NRS makes it clear that ownership is not the controlling factor in determining if the building is a public building or private building. The determining factor under the NRS definition of "public building" is what entity occupies the building, not one of ownership.

Additionally, the sergeant refers to the sign prohibiting weapons inside the building as his controlling authority. However, the sign itself relates to "public buildings". By the very act of posting the signage, Metro is admitting that the building is a public building.

I agree with your comment that the sergeant's assertion doesn't hold water either way. The sergeant kind of flummoxed me with the private property assertion. I did a little research for my own edification and posted what I found to expose the sergeant's ignorance/lie about the building being privately owned as his excuse to exclude open carry inside.

Last edited:

Merlin

Yep, we're on the same page there. They were caught chasing their own tails, and making it up as they go.

I like to pre-print the property listing for where I am going for just such an occasion. So when they say it is private property, you can say "ORLY?" Says here this building and property are owned by "Las Vegas, City of". Hmmm. "Did you just lie to me? I need a supervisor, because I can no longer trust anything you say, since you will clearly lie to me under color of law."

ed2276

Yep, we're on the same page there. They were caught chasing their own tails, and making it up as they go.

I like to pre-print the property listing for where I am going for just such an occasion. So when they say it is private property, you can say "ORLY?" Says here this building and property are owned by "Las Vegas, City of". Hmmm. "Did you just lie to me? I need a supervisor, because I can no longer trust anything you say, since you will clearly lie to me under color of law."

LOL...that's a great idea! You're one step ahead of them!

When I went to the library today, I was figuring that there would be signage reading that no firearms are allowed inside, so I printed a copy of NRS 202.3673 just in case they cited that as their authority to ban/prosecute me for open carry. Sure enough, there was signage on the door prohibiting firearms, but without reference to any NRS. I went inside, took care of business, and left without incident so I didn't have occasion to pull out my copy of the statute.

I forgot to print out the pre-emption statute though. That would have come in handy, as well, had I been confronted about OC inside the library.

Merlin

LOL...that's a great idea! You're one step ahead of them!

When I went to the library today, I was figuring that there would be signage reading that no firearms are allowed inside, so I printed a copy of NRS 202.3673 just in case they cited that as their authority to ban/prosecute me for open carry. Sure enough, there was signage on the door prohibiting firearms, but without reference to any NRS. I went inside, took care of business, and left without incident so I didn't have occasion to pull out my copy of the statute.

I forgot to print out the pre-emption statute though. That would have come in handy, as well, had I been confronted about OC inside the library.

Which library? I recently handled the Rainbow Branch. The Branch Mgr there (Sufa Anderson, iirc) was extemely friendly, and once she realized that I was better prepared than her, she backed down and allowed me to return to my business. She later came out and showed me an internal document that stated the authority of the sign was 202.3673. I said "Awesome, that's what I thought you would say". Then I showed her a full written copy of the statute, and explained it, and why it was not relevent to OC. It was probably the best interaction I've had so far, and I told her so. She was extremely calm, friendly, and helpful. Like you'd expect from a library. She didn't like being recorded on Video, but acquiesced when I asked her if I was in a public building.

I even chatted with the security guard on the way out, and left him with a copy of the tri-fold for reference, so he knew he didn't have to hassle anyone else in the future. :)

MKEgal

davidmcbeth said:
I don't ask "am I being detained"... I ask "am I being kidnapped"
I believe it's Citizen who recommends "WHY am I being detained?"
Because if you have to ask, you are being detained.
If they tell you you're not, leave.
If they admit you are, you could ask for their RAS or you could ask for your lawyer (by name), then shut up.

ed2276

Which library? I recently handled the Rainbow Branch. The Branch Mgr there (Sufa Anderson, iirc) was extemely friendly, and once she realized that I was better prepared than her, she backed down and allowed me to return to my business. She later came out and showed me an internal document that stated the authority of the sign was 202.3673. I said "Awesome, that's what I thought you would say". Then I showed her a full written copy of the statute, and explained it, and why it was not relevent to OC. It was probably the best interaction I've had so far, and I told her so. She was extremely calm, friendly, and helpful. Like you'd expect from a library. She didn't like being recorded on Video, but acquiesced when I asked her if I was in a public building.

I even chatted with the security guard on the way out, and left him with a copy of the tri-fold for reference, so he knew he didn't have to hassle anyone else in the future. :)

It was the branch at Deer Springs and N. Buffalo.