Thread: Form 4473 Update

Form 4473 Update

As of July 9, 2012 the form 4473 used when purchasing a gun will change slightly. Figured I would pass it on. http://www.weapon-blog.com/?p=2610

Be sure to check out http://www.atf.gov/forms/firearms/at...aft-121911.pdf for the details.

This was listed on the ATF's website

Sample of Revised ATF Form 4473

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) published Open Letters on December 8, 2011 and December 22, 2011, advising Federal firearms licensees (FFLs) of upcoming changes to regulations in 27 C.F.R. Part 478 relating to the definition of "State of residence" and the prohibitions relating to firearms possession by nonimmigrant aliens. The Open Letters also advised that the regulatory changes would be implemented through changes to ATF Form 4473, Firearms Transaction Record.

The Office of Management and Budget has approved the revisions to the Form 4473 and has issued a control number under the Paperwork Reduction Act for the new and revised collections of information in the form. ATF anticipates that the two regulatory amendments will be published in the Federal Register within the near future. Although the amended Form 4473 may not be used to record firearms transactions until the regulatory amendments are published and in effect, we are publishing the form below. This will enable FFLs to become familiar with the changes to the form prior to the date when the form must be utilized to record firearms transactions. Well in advance of the effective date, ATF will provide Federal firearms licensees (FFL) with a stock of the revised forms and a letter to communicate the effective date for the implementing regulations. FFLs should monitor ATF’s website (www.atf.gov) for further information on the publication of the two regulations in the Federal Register and to determine the date those regulations become effective.

FFLs should continue to use the existing Form 4473, revised in August 2008, until the effective date of the regulations.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/atf-...from-4473.html
    Last edited by zack991; 06-28-2012 at 04:48 AM.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

So what changed? There's no comparison with the current form and I haven't seen one in eons.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    So what changed? There's no comparison with the current form and I haven't seen one in eons.
    Yes, don't you like posters who cannot communicate well enough .. they expect others to figure out what they mean..

Quote Originally Posted by zack991 View Post
    As of July 9, 2012 the form 4473 used when purchasing a gun will change slightly. Figured I would pass it on. http://www.weapon-blog.com/?p=2610

Be sure to check out http://www.atf.gov/forms/firearms/at...aft-121911.pdf for the details.
    Please cite the law that show they are to be used with in the 50 states in the first place. Once you can do that I MIGHT care.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    I just saw one last week and can't immediately point out the difference. Of course the Yes, NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO answering scheme required to pass has been unchanged so long I don't think I've actually read the thing in a LONG time.

PS. Dear ATF, J/K

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    Please cite the law that show they are to be used with in the 50 states in the first place. Once you can do that I MIGHT care.
    Shows me an FFL that doesn't require you to fill out a form 4473 when purchasing a firearm, I dare you.

Shows me an FFL that doesn't require you to fill out a form 4473 when purchasing a firearm, I dare you.
    Just because a private sales office does not know the law does not change the law.

Just like just because most idiots believe that a citizen is required to have/use a SSN does not make it so.

Just because a FFL requires you to does not mean the law does.
    Last edited by Freedom1Man; 06-27-2012 at 11:13 PM.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

The fact that there are zero FFLs that do not use F4473s makes your argument irrelevant.

If you feel this strongly about it, get a lawyer and take the issue to court.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

I dont see any changes either.
    Unless they changed the wording on the 11c question...
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

The first F in FFL stands for Federal. They use forms provided by the Federal government's BATFE.

Okay, so can we get back to someone telling us what exactly changed so we all aren't individually going over previous and new forms with a microscope? I rarely buy new firearms from dealers.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I believe that item 11h is new, and possibly 11k. I just filled one out about a week ago for my AK, and I don't recall the same wording of 11h being on it, and I'm not sure about 11k (I usually don't keep the illegal alien parts in my long-term memory). That one is stamped "DRAFT", so it's possible that it may (or may not) have been, or will be, revised in the final form. Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Question 10 is in two groups now, the wording for 11i and 12 have changed. Questions 20c and 20d have been removed.

See this album for comparisons: http://imgur.com/a/iLqcZ

Note: I only looked at the questions and didn't bother much with the bigger blocks of text. I'll leave that to someone else.

I am sorry I have not had a chance to look it over all the way myself, I was just passing it on from one of the many firearms blogs that I read. Sorry.

This was listed on the ATF's website

Sample of Revised ATF Form 4473

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) published Open Letters on December 8, 2011 and December 22, 2011, advising Federal firearms licensees (FFLs) of upcoming changes to regulations in 27 C.F.R. Part 478 relating to the definition of "State of residence" and the prohibitions relating to firearms possession by nonimmigrant aliens. The Open Letters also advised that the regulatory changes would be implemented through changes to ATF Form 4473, Firearms Transaction Record.

The Office of Management and Budget has approved the revisions to the Form 4473 and has issued a control number under the Paperwork Reduction Act for the new and revised collections of information in the form. ATF anticipates that the two regulatory amendments will be published in the Federal Register within the near future. Although the amended Form 4473 may not be used to record firearms transactions until the regulatory amendments are published and in effect, we are publishing the form below. This will enable FFLs to become familiar with the changes to the form prior to the date when the form must be utilized to record firearms transactions. Well in advance of the effective date, ATF will provide Federal firearms licensees (FFL) with a stock of the revised forms and a letter to communicate the effective date for the implementing regulations. FFLs should monitor ATF’s website (www.atf.gov) for further information on the publication of the two regulations in the Federal Register and to determine the date those regulations become effective.

FFLs should continue to use the existing Form 4473, revised in August 2008, until the effective date of the regulations.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/atf-...from-4473.html
    Last edited by zack991; 06-28-2012 at 04:38 AM.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    The first F in FFL stands for Federal. They use forms provided by the Federal government's BATFE.

Okay, so can we get back to someone telling us what exactly changed so we all aren't individually going over previous and new forms with a microscope? I rarely buy new firearms from dealers.
    Considering that form is creating a de facto licensing requirement to buy a gun from a licensed seller.

Try buying a gun from a dealer without a government issued ID card. The government controls the issue of the ID card and the data that is stored in their 'insta check' system.

The problem is that I would have to sue a or many gun a store to have this problem corrected. Suing the ATF would be a pointless run.

The national gun registration form changes thusly:

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/1205/4473new.png

You're a bit late, you also missed some changes.

Question 10 is in two groups now, the wording for 11i and 12 have changed. Questions 20c and 20d have been removed.

See this album for comparisons: http://imgur.com/a/iLqcZ

Note: I only looked at the questions and didn't bother much with the bigger blocks of text. I'll leave that to someone else.